New True Internet - 8mbps

lothda

This week True started promoting their new high speed service: True 8Mbps (Thai only so far). It seems the competition from Maxnet shows some effect :o , all their prices are going down. Existing customers can switch to the new rates or 8Mbps speed from April. I have 3 Mbps now and will certainly switch to 8 for what is is just about the same price. If it is supported on my line, that is. I understand that the higher ADSL speeds are, the more critical the specifics of your particular copper line are. I would expect True to test the line first and not just switch to the higher speed - which might well not work.

More when and as it happens.

Recently I have spoken to a guy who works for Cisco sometimes here in Thailand.

He mentioned that in his opinion not more than 30% of all these cra_p lines in Bangkok are capable

to transmit a "clear" ADSL signal more than 2 MB!

SPOT ON!

Anyone here tried to apply for the 8mbps link? Success ?? Failures ??

I'm trying to call them to either bring down the price of my existing link or jump onto the 8mbps service.

Here is a graph showing broadband speed vs distance to the DSLAM:

post-77843-1237432254_thumb.png

Doesn't TRUE block all kinds of stuff such as torrents etc? And don't their share each account/line with like 50 other customers?

My True 2 mbps line (Prakhanong) is giving me ave 210 KB/s on a well-seeded torrent. Speedtest is near to 1.8 mbps as I have set my RWIN to 127776.

This week True started promoting their new high speed service: True 8Mbps (Thai only so far). It seems the competition from Maxnet shows some effect :o , all their prices are going down. Existing customers can switch to the new rates or 8Mbps speed from April. I have 3 Mbps now and will certainly switch to 8 for what is is just about the same price. If it is supported on my line, that is. I understand that the higher ADSL speeds are, the more critical the specifics of your particular copper line are. I would expect True to test the line first and not just switch to the higher speed - which might well not work.

More when and as it happens.

8Mbps with TRUE ?

has the 1st of April arrived faster than expected ????

The 8mb marketing buzz announcement can be "translated" as

"your speed will be up to 8mb.

If your line does not support it you will be provided with the best speed your line is capable to transmit, which is usually about 1-4 mb!"

Only a guess and MHO

Edited by webfact

your speed will be up to 8mb.

ISP's also state this in the UK as they do not guarantee you will get the full 8mb there also.

I am in a dilema now as to choose 4mb loxinfo or 8mb true.

If you chose a 4MB "home package" I strongly doubt you well ever get that "speed".

In my case SME did the trick but it cost a lot more. Since I switched I get the speed... almost

The user ratio of these "affordable" packages is too high and therefore its only cra_p speed you (might) receive.

And always consider the quality of your line before you switch. I can't talk about True but guess same applies

for every ISP. CSloxinfo tested my line (TOT), came to my building, checked everything, even the port in the exchange and did not charge a single Baht for it.

your speed will be up to 8mb.

ISP's also state this in the UK as they do not guarantee you will get the full 8mb there also.

I am in a dilema now as to choose 4mb loxinfo or 8mb true.

ISPs all over the world do this.

For those who like to complain about the Thai providers, I was recently in San Francisco, my friend's 10Mbit line got no more than 200KB/s on any download, or torrents. Exactly the same as my TOT 2Mbit line in LOS (and yes thats international). Admittedly TOT is the worst of the bunch so speeds go down to 50KB/s during the afternoon. True and TTT and CAT are all better.

The 10Mbit line got up to 600KB/s once but that was to another location in San Francisco, the university. So YMMV when it comes to actual delivered speeds. The 50Mbit fiber line in the office in Palo Alto did about 1.5MB/s. Very impressive, but way less than 50Mbit... most people will never know, but I have a Tx/Rx bandwidth meter right in my menu bar so I constantly check speeds. (The excellent MenuMeters, unfortunately Mac only there is nothing like it for Windows).

Final thought: If all computer users had a bandwith meter on their machine, and if they knew how to translate Mbit/s to KB/s, there would be riots and lawsuits in the west until the advertised rates match the actual. It's just that most people really have no clue and if it's fast enough they don't complain.

Edited by nikster

the international bandwidth, will it be any different on the 8mp line?

International bandwidth will depend on the size of the pipeline out of the country and the collective traffic demand through it.

If you have a domestic bandwidth of 8 mbps and there is no congestion through the international pipeline, you should achieve close to it, with some slowdown from higher latency due to distance.

If you chose a 4MB "home package" I strongly doubt you well ever get that "speed".

In my case SME did the trick but it cost a lot more. Since I switched I get the speed... almost

The user ratio of these "affordable" packages is too high and therefore its only cra_p speed you (might) receive.

And always consider the quality of your line before you switch. I can't talk about True but guess same applies

for every ISP. CSloxinfo tested my line (TOT), came to my building, checked everything, even the port in the exchange and did not charge a single Baht for it.

I cannot see a 4mb business package CXlosinfo website, only the homeplus package 4096/512 for 2400THB per month which was the one i was going to go for. How much are you paying for 4mb business package?

Edited by namoo

Anyone know if True offers Cable internet. That would get around the bad phone line issue.

They used to have a cable offer. Like 5 years ago. But during the rainy season, it's like impossible to connect and you cannot receive TV cable signal either. The question is: Better to get a very good connection 9 months/year or an average one 12 months/year :o

I cannot see a 4mb business package CXlosinfo website, only the homeplus package 4096/512 for 2400THB per month which was the one i was going to go for. How much are you paying for 4mb business package?

Just send you a PM

Anyone know if True offers Cable internet. That would get around the bad phone line issue.

They used to have a cable offer. Like 5 years ago. But during the rainy season, it's like impossible to connect and you cannot receive TV cable signal either. The question is: Better to get a very good connection 9 months/year or an average one 12 months/year :o

I have had UBC/TRUE analog cable since they started operations and have never lost TV signal due to rain. The only time it is lost is when floods knock out the fiber optic system and that has never been longer than two days. Believe you are talking about DTH if having rain problems. They never pushed the cable web service and then started digital service so ignored it/they had the phone system to use. Seems they just want to use the DTH system these days for TV and phone for internet.

I moved recently and now have UBC coming through cable. The picture quality seems much better than through the dish, and also doesn't get knocked out by the rain, sun etc. Also, the box (menus, TV guides, functions etc. is far superior). However, when I asked about cable internet, I was told DSL only. Whether this is true (excuse the pun) or not is anyone's guess. Whenever I speak to anyone from that company I get a different answer. They (the True office in Fortune) even told me neither UBC nor internet was available in my building, despite me pointing out that pretty much everyone in the building already has True UBC/internet (this also happened when I moved into my last apartment 2 years ago). After contacting the agent who deals with the building (who is, of course, on commision), it was (even though the True office had told me several times it was "definitely not available in that building") all connected within days (naturally I had to pay for a 'new' connection - around double what it would have cost to transfer my existing account). As far as getting 8mbs from True is concerned, it seems doubtful. I know a couple of people on the 3mb package and they never seem to get much more than 2mbs. Even in the UK and the US when I was on 8mb packages I rarely got more than 5mbs (admittedly this was a while back).

Edit: Btw - lop, nice to see you're back...

Edited by MKAsok

OK, I got through to True and they told me that my line would not support the 8 Mbps service but that 4 would be possible. I'm going to change to 4 Mbps then and save about 200 Baht/month compared with my current 3.

To anybody who has a current subscription and wants to take advantage of the lower price: they will not do it automatically. You have to ask for it. The simple reason is that with the change in price you get a new contract for a year - which you have to approve. You can do that from April 2 - probably they didn't choose April 1 for a reason...

Hope it works out for everybody!

Well.. this, in fact, is a bad news. They are not going to upgrade their international bandwidth and more people will be asking for more bandwidth. :o

More bandwidth is always better.

About international, wasn't there a new underseas cable going to the USA opening soon? Or is it already operational?