Patong Tunnel

phuketrex

See the posters are back up again. Can't see it ever happening. The money spent doing the feasibility study would be better spent resurfacing and grading the current road and making it safer. What is "Pick the new choice" referring to? Sounds like if it ever happened there would be a charge to go through the tunnel?...or you could still use the dangerous road over the hill for free?

S6300838.jpg

The money spent doing the feasibility study would be better spent resurfacing and grading the current road and making it safer.
And while you are repairing roads don't forget the way from Karon to Patong. This patchwork lasts for about two weeks after every "repair" and the holes are back and even bigger. :o

The money spent doing the feasibility study would be better spent resurfacing and grading the current road and making it safer.
And while you are repairing roads don't forget the way from Karon to Patong. This patchwork lasts for about two weeks after every "repair" and the holes are back and even bigger. :o

Yes I agree 100%. Its become downright dangerous for motorbikes, and I can't tell you how many times I have had to suddenly swerve, narrowly missing an oncoming vehicle that decides since the lane going south is in such better shape, I'll just use it!!

We need to get PG to do one of those "who's responsable" pieces on it.

Even if they did build a tunnel and it was free (Ha Ha) I would still go over the mountain. That is the best bit of road on the island. I call it the 'Patong Roller coaster'. It reminds me of exactly where I am. I go over that hill and I think about all the suckers going round the M25 on their way to work. Yes it is dangerous, but How long would it be before an old truck catches fire in the middle of the tunnel and loads of people die.

See the posters are back up again. Can't see it ever happening. The money spent doing the feasibility study would be better spent resurfacing and grading the current road and making it safer...

My guess is that some local official is looking for a way to finance a new personal project.

Kickbacks from another feasibility study and construction contracts would do very nicely.

My guess is that some local official is looking for a way to finance a new personal project.

Kickbacks from another feasibility study and construction contracts would do very nicely.

Spot on Dave, that's just what I was thinking ... Gov official would just love this project to happen = lots & lots of slush money spread about.

And just today (one day later) a road crew are filling the holes with tarmac. Very poor repair technique which will be torn up in days by the large trucks using this road.

Would it honestly be safe to construct a tunnel there?

Simple answer:

Perfectly feasible if undertaken by competent Engineers and Contractors.

Is it safe? No, because it would be galactically bungled. Should there be any doubt, refer to the Swampy airport fiasco.

Apart from the joke text on the poster, the one thing missing is the images of carnage that would surely result as a consequence of placing that u-turn facility just before entering/exiting the tunnels...sheesh, what the <deleted> is wrong with these people? :o

See the posters are back up again. Can't see it ever happening. The money spent doing the feasibility study would be better spent resurfacing and grading the current road and making it safer. What is "Pick the new choice" referring to? Sounds like if it ever happened there would be a charge to go through the tunnel?...or you could still use the dangerous road over the hill for free?

S6300838.jpg

Looks impressive, how will it be financed?

I see the turn facility as pointed out in earlier post.

WOW !!!!!!!!!!

Imagine the boy racers doing circuits, reckon it would be fun...........NOT.

Edited by Zpete