How Much Needed In Bank Account?

Hi,

My girlfriend will be coming to UK soon for 1 month holiday, I just want to know how much money she will need to have in her bank account to get a visa?

We are saying that i will provide her with accommodation, but food etc she will pay for (my parents wouldn't be happy about sending statements away to anyone so we couldn't show that we would be paying for that - even though we will).

She has not bought flights yet although I found them for 35-40k baht, so how much do you think the immigration officer needs to see in the bank to give her the visa?

Thanks - and I know there isn't a specific figure, but a ballpark figure would be great.

Edited by Enjibenji

right here we go yet again, do any of you posters do any home work at all? or do you just ask straight off. if the IMO in bkk does not think she has suffiencent reason to return to thailand i does not matter how much she has in her bk ac, can you show how long you to have been in contact ? where you met? what does she do for work ? evidence of contact between our selfs? all this is on this site, do YOUR HOMEWORK FOR OUR SELF, DO NOT EXPECT OTHERS TO DO IT FOR YOU.

right here we go yet again, do any of you posters do any home work at all? or do you just ask straight off. if the IMO in bkk does not think she has suffiencent reason to return to thailand i does not matter how much she has in her bk ac, can you show how long you to have been in contact ? where you met? what does she do for work ? evidence of contact between our selfs? all this is on this site, do YOUR HOMEWORK FOR OUR SELF, DO NOT EXPECT OTHERS TO DO IT FOR YOU.

yes - i have already done the homework, i just need to know how much money she will need in her bank for the embassy to give it the OK.

That was the question - not a question about evidence to show she will come back or about our relationship - we already have a whole lot of evidence for that already.

it was quite a simple and straightforward question as well. I'm sure you will know, if she had 1 baht in her bank to fund her month here, the embassy would give it a hel_l no. If she had 1 million baht, the embassy would be happy enough. I'm trying to find out where about the line is.

To be honest, I would give them details for your bank account. Putting a large sum in hers and then saying she will pay for it is not a good thing in a visa application. It rings certain alarm bells with the official making a decision on the visa. Better for you to just give them a couple of months of payslips or bank statment showing a decent amount of money.

There will be no correct answers to this as there isn't an answer. How much would you think she would spend if she came on her own, maybe up to £50 a day, so on that basis it's £1500 for a month. Do you feel happy about handing over £1500 to 'maybe' get a visa?

To be honest, I would give them details for your bank account. Putting a large sum in hers and then saying she will pay for it is not a good thing in a visa application. It rings certain alarm bells with the official making a decision on the visa. Better for you to just give them a couple of months of payslips or bank statment showing a decent amount of money.

There will be no correct answers to this as there isn't an answer. How much would you think she would spend if she came on her own, maybe up to £50 a day, so on that basis it's £1500 for a month. Do you feel happy about handing over £1500 to 'maybe' get a visa?

haha, i'm giving her no money - i'm not one of the regular ATMs on this website.

We are 18 and 20, so the money is coming from her family.

I was thinking around £600 in her bank (flights not included) - £20 a day?

thanks for the reply.

Edited by Enjibenji

haha, i'm giving her no money - i'm not one of the regular ATMs on this website.

We are 18 and 20, so the money is coming from her family.

I was thinking around £600 in her bank (flights not included) - £20 a day?

thanks for the reply.

I'd have them put at least £1k in to be sure, but make sure you fully explain where the money has come from, as the sudden introduction of a large sum into her account without a good reason will set alarm bells off.

yes - i have already done the homework, i just need to know how much money she will need in her bank for the embassy to give it the OK.

That was the question - not a question about evidence to show she will come back or about our relationship - we already have a whole lot of evidence for that already.

it was quite a simple and straightforward question as well. I'm sure you will know, if she had 1 baht in her bank to fund her month here, the embassy would give it a hel_l no. If she had 1 million baht, the embassy would be happy enough. I'm trying to find out where about the line is.

There is no line, it all depends on if your face fits.

Why bother posting if you're just going to whinge? Just click the back button or join a forum for grumpy old men :o

The OP has asked a fair question. If her parents are supporting her financially a letter from them stating they will pay for any expenses she incurs whilst in the UK and a copy of their bank statements should do the trick.

Why bother posting if you're just going to whinge? Just click the back button or join a forum for grumpy old men :D

The OP has asked a fair question. If her parents are supporting her financially a letter from them stating they will pay for any expenses she incurs whilst in the UK and a copy of their bank statements should do the trick.

:o thanks for the reply

her mum is OK at english but not great - is she able to write the letter in Thai? I know that documents supplied with the application should be in english.

From what I understand from Thai friends over the years it is not about the money, it is more to do with proof that she will come back after the visit.

Friend some years ago had many millions in the bank, and was still refused a visa..

From what I understand from Thai friends over the years it is not about the money, it is more to do with proof that she will come back after the visit.

Friend some years ago had many millions in the bank, and was still refused a visa..

the same thing happened with my girlfriend's aunt.

her mum is OK at english but not great - is she able to write the letter in Thai? I know that documents supplied with the application should be in english.

Her Mum can write it in thai and then get it translated by a professional translation company that will stamp and sign it which will satisfy immigration. Just include the original and translated version in the application.

Is she at Uni? Does she have a job? If either of these it should satisfy immigration that she has reason to return.

The UK sounds strange. Are thais not allowed in because you guys only like illegal immigrants that arrive in the back of vans?

hi .

I helped a thai lady with some of the documents she needed to go to australia because i was in thai and her partner was working in australia he sent her 20,000 bht every month for 4 months before she made the trip and then showed where she was going to stay in aus and that he was prepared to look after her , hence she had no problem at all .

Is she at Uni? Does she have a job? If either of these it should satisfy immigration that she has reason to return.

The UK sounds strange. Are thais not allowed in because you guys only like illegal immigrants that arrive in the back of vans?

yep, uni :o

yep, uni :o

Should be no problem at all then. She has financial support and she has a definate reason to return to Thailand. Sounds like you've landed a good one! :D

I hope she enjoys her trip. Good luck.

100,000 baht has always worked for my wifes visa to Canada. As far as I can tell it only has to be in there long enough for the bank can make an official letter saying that she has 1xx,xxx baht in there and she is a regular customer in good standing.

I don't know if this will work for UK

100,000 baht has always worked for my wifes visa to Canada. As far as I can tell it only has to be in there long enough for the bank can make an official letter saying that she has 1xx,xxx baht in there and she is a regular customer in good standing.

I don't know if this will work for UK

I think we are going for 120 000 baht now. Can you tell me about the bank letter? I've never heard of a bank giving a letter like that - my girlfriend is in the bank now with her mum so I can call her and tell.

thanks again

You just simply ask the bank for an official letter stating the amount in the account and that she is a good customer. Usually there is a fee and you have to wait a day. We use SCB (the purple bank)

You should tell them the purpose is for a visa to UK, and they shouldn't have a problem doing it for you

Edited by canuckamuck

You just simply ask the bank for an official letter stating the amount in the account and that she is a good customer. Usually there is a fee and you have to wait a day. We use SCB (the purple bank)

thanks very much, will tell her now.

by the way, was that 100 000 baht before or after the flights were bought?

Honestly, they never asked us or checked, but who knows what part of the application has the most weight. We have in some years emptied the account shortly after the letter was drawn up.

You have to remember this is a different embassy and they will have their own quirks. It is a game in the end, too bad they can't be straight up about the requirements.

If she can show that she have enough money to stay for one month in UK, I mean To pay for the hotel and food, then there no problem.

She also have to show where she stay, show reservation from hotel.

Hi,

My girlfriend will be coming to UK soon for 1 month holiday, I just want to know how much money she will need to have in her bank account to get a visa?

We are saying that i will provide her with accommodation, but food etc she will pay for (my parents wouldn't be happy about sending statements away to anyone so we couldn't show that we would be paying for that - even though we will).

She has not bought flights yet although I found them for 35-40k baht, so how much do you think the immigration officer needs to see in the bank to give her the visa?

Thanks - and I know there isn't a specific figure, but a ballpark figure would be great.

Then she is not coming yet. She has to sort out her visa first.

My fellow passenger on one Tokyo-BKK flight, owns a company with 60 employees, said it took him 1 month to get Japanese visa. Just to be a 4 days/3 nights tourist.

my wife got a visa within 3 days at the first time of asking in january this year.She hasnt got a bean in her bank account,but i DID do my homework,we had proof of our relationship over 4 years,she had property in Thailand etc.As i have stated MANY times on this forum,do your homework,proof of relationship,your proof that you can support her in the uk,6 month bank statements etc,go to the visa application centre website (very helpful),do the application online and everything will be ready for you when you go to the application centre,it will save you time filling in forms when you get there.

my wife got a visa within 3 days at the first time of asking in january this year.She hasnt got a bean in her bank account,but i DID do my homework,we had proof of our relationship over 4 years,she had property in Thailand etc.As i have stated MANY times on this forum,do your homework,proof of relationship,your proof that you can support her in the uk,6 month bank statements etc,go to the visa application centre website (very helpful),do the application online and everything will be ready for you when you go to the application centre,it will save you time filling in forms when you get there.

Your wife. A far stretch from "my girlfriend".

Her Mum can write it in thai and then get it translated by a professional translation company that will stamp and sign it which will satisfy immigration. Just include the original and translated version in the application.

On the Embassy website it states clearly that translations are NOT needed. The Embassy has their own staff to do this.

1 more question, then the application gets handed in tomorrow...

A question on the application form VAF1A says... :

"If you are not a national of the country in which you are >>>

applying, what permission do you have to stay in that country?"

what does my girlfriend have to write in the box? :o

any help appreciated

edit: I just saw the guidance at the bottom of the application, says I should write visa?

Edited by Enjibenji

#2... the supporting document checklist says i need to provide evidence for this???

Evidence of your permission to be in the country in which

you are applying, if you are not a national of that country,

e.g. a residence permit or visa

how can my girlfriend provide a visa if she doesn't have one yet??? :o

I think you will find that means if you are not a Thai national, in the event of applying in Bangkok, evidence that you are here legally.

She is Thai, so will not need to provide that evidence, but if say she was Jamaican and applying in Thailand she would need to provide evidence that she was here legally. Think that's what it means as it mentions the country you are applying from, not applying for.

You recommend applying online, I have suggested this to my girlfriend, but I must admit I do not understand how she will add my letter of sponsorship and my bank statements, pay slips etc, if the application is from her online.

Am I missing something. I do hope this is not a silly question.