Maxnet Super Slow--is It Just Me?

Jimmyd

Jimmyd I'm in South Pattaya.

My Maxnet has been getting worse since the school holidays started...then they upped the speed for everyone on the Indy package by 1Meg

and it got worse ! I think they also played around with thier proxy at the same time.

The Thai sites are ok but overseas can be very slow :o

I don't think it's only Maxnet. I have TOT and it's been quite bad lately -- sites not available and/or very slow. I suspect that whether it's TT&T or TOT, it all uses the same broadband infrastructure, which is terribly insufficient for the volume of users.

In countries where these types of services are regulated and monitored, both of these companies would be in serious hot water, but in Thailand, the government seems to usually reward companies for inefficiency of dishonest business practices.

I'm on maxnet Premier (3M/1M) and have no issues whatsoever.

Indy users have to recognize that the trade of for the low price is high contention ratio's.

Maxnet's routers are pretty well tuned, giving most Indy users proper speeds (with some limitations) most of the time, but their systems are heavily loaded now due to the school holidays!

No, it's not just you.

For me too Maxnet has been very erratic these last few weeks. I live just north of Kanchanaburi.

Last weeks speeds were as fast as I have ever seen but normally it is slow and keeps dropping the ADSL connection.

It's frustrating because these last couple of years that I have been using them I have been extremely happy with the reliability and speed.

All they can tell me is that there is a problem and hopefully it will get better soon.

Doesn't fill me with confidence and if it does not improve soon I will be looking for an alternative.

My Maxnet has been getting worse since the school holidays started...then they upped the speed for everyone on the Indy package by 1Meg and it got worse ! I think they also played around with thier proxy at the same time.

The Thai sites are ok but overseas can be very slow :D

I have noticed that too. I try a known URL and it says "Not Known", click again and up it comes.

It even happened on a Banking "https" address the other day, which should not be cached :D

Any idea how to switch off their proxy server on my service?

Indy v Premier. A while ago, it was the premier that got no service and us Indys were running fine. Just another case of overselling without putting in the infrasturcture !! :D

I think my CONTENTION problems are caused by other Indy users in my Estate downloading torrents :o

PoorSucker

Opendns

The things one can learn by reading this forum.

I like the sound of it.

Naturally I signed up but I have not yet switched my dns servers.

I don't think that was my problem.

It would be nice to have opendns built in to the router firmware like dyndns on Zyxel.

But that is for hosting a web site where the dns keeps changing. That too works great.

About a week ago I too had a problem with slow internet from Maxnet in Pattaya.

I could not access anything for about 3 days.

I visited the lovely ladies in Carrefour who informed me that they were upgrading their system.

I don't know if it is just me because I spoke to them but now it is better than ever.

I guess that it is different for different people and for different locations.

My Maxnet has been getting worse since the school holidays started...then they upped the speed for everyone on the Indy package by 1Meg and it got worse ! I think they also played around with thier proxy at the same time.

The Thai sites are ok but overseas can be very slow :D

I have noticed that too. I try a known URL and it says "Not Known", click again and up it comes.

It even happened on a Banking "https" address the other day, which should not be cached :D

Any idea how to switch off their proxy server on my service?

Indy v Premier. A while ago, it was the premier that got no service and us Indys were running fine. Just another case of overselling without putting in the infrasturcture !! :D

I think my CONTENTION problems are caused by other Indy users in my Estate downloading torrents :o

I just checked my router - they've upped my download speed (on "Indy") to 5 Mb/s from 4 (which is probably why I'm getting 380 kBytes/s downloads on a very well seeded torrent at the moment. Last night I got over 500kB/s).

I also get the occasional "Not found" error when I click on a normal web-site, e.g. Google, maybe only 3 or 4 times a day, but I just noticed I'm using Maxnet's DNS servers, so I'll change back to OpenDNS again. Can't remember why I changed back to Maxnet's DNS servers - I guess I did it when I had some other problem and reset things back to "normal".

I also get the occasional "Not found" error when I click on a normal web-site, e.g. Google, maybe only 3 or 4 times a day, but I just noticed I'm using Maxnet's DNS servers, so I'll change back to OpenDNS again. Can't remember why I changed back to Maxnet's DNS servers - I guess I did it when I had some other problem and reset things back to "normal".

Can you explain in laymans terms open dns? this is what i have

WAN > DNS

If your ISP provided you with a specific DNS address to use, enter the address in this window and click "Apply Changes" .

Automatic from ISP checked

DNS Address > 0 0 0 0 . . .

Secondary DNS Address 0 0 0 0

DNS = Domain Name Server. A server located on the Internet that translates URL's (Universal Resource Links) like www.belkin.com to IP addresses.You must enter the DNS settings provided by your ISP if you don't use the Automatic DNS function More Info

WAN > DNS

If your ISP provided you with a specific DNS address to use, enter the address in this window and click "Apply Changes" .

DNS = Domain Name Server. A server located on the Internet that translates URL's (Universal Resource Links) like www.belkin.com to IP addresses.You must enter the DNS settings provided by your ISP if you don't use the Automatic DNS function More Info

OK - change this:

gallery_35489_952_80143.jpg

to this:

gallery_35489_952_32707.jpg

- which is exactly what I just did, because I forgot to do it yesterday! :o

Edit:

So change your two DNS addresses to:

DNS Address > 208.67.222.222

Secondary DNS Address > 208.67.220.220

[PS. Maxnet's DNS Servers are 203.121.130.39 and 203.121.130.42]

Info from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS

"OpenDNS offers DNS resolution for consumers and businesses as an alternative to using their Internet service provider's DNS servers. By placing company servers in strategic locations and employing a large cache of the domain names, OpenDNS usually processes queries much more quickly."

More info from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

"DNS translates domain names meaningful to humans into the numerical (binary) identifiers associated with networking equipment for the purpose of locating and addressing these devices world-wide."

For example, it will tell your 'puter that "ThaiVisa.com" is at "203.174.85.146".

Edited by JetsetBkk

WAN > DNS

OK - change this:

to this:

Edit:

"OpenDNS offers DNS resolution for consumers and businesses as an alternative to using their Internet service provider's DNS servers. By placing company servers in strategic locations and employing a large cache of the domain names, OpenDNS usually processes queries much more quickly."

"DNS translates domain names meaningful to humans into the numerical (binary) identifiers associated with networking equipment for the purpose of locating and addressing these devices world-wide."

For example, it will tell your 'puter that "ThaiVisa.com" is at "203.174.85.146".

thanks, i will give that a try now. changing mru to 1228 helped me a lot with international.

WAN > DNS

OK - change this:

to this:

Edit:

i used to have lots of problems

I used to have lots of down time with my maxinet indy package where it would hardly work. After getting rid of my 3 year old modem, a few weeks ago, getting a top of the line belkin, changing mtu to 1228 it has been flying. I did the DNS yesterday and I am smoking with my internet.

thanks for the DNS info