Decent Insurance For An Older Motorbike

thaicbr

Ok i plan on buying an older motorcycle circa 1991 and would like to have 1st class insurance. I believe that is impossible on bikes older than 10 years. but i would like to know if you can get 2nd class with an agreed value say 90,000baht. any info would be appreciated.

Allan

Ah, the mysteries of Thailand – or rather the Underwriters

No, seriously it is because the repairs on HD's are a know quantity and controllable whereas if the insurance companies offered cover to any age or make of import they would not be able to A) control the prices of the parts and :o have sufficient approved repair shops to cater to the different makes.

Yes you can get decent Insurance, please check with the folks at The Viriyah Insurance Company, phone:02641 3500-79. They use their little to determine the value of your bike and go from there. I would to check several companies and go with the very best insurance you can afford, I did and man I'm glad I did, that's another story so I will stop it here. Best of luck. Happy riding, maybe I will see you in Pattaya next month for the Annual Bike Show or should I say SHOWOFF! :o:D

• 1 month later...
Ok i plan on buying an older motorcycle circa 1991 and would like to have 1st class insurance. I believe that is impossible on bikes older than 10 years. but i would like to know if you can get 2nd class with an agreed value say 90,000baht. any info would be appreciated.

Allan

I bought the usual Honda Wave 125 a couple years ago, had insurance on it, now when I tried to get insurance for it this year, Honda company where I bought it, said 'NO" I can not buy it, Hua Hin is a too high of a risk place for accidents, thefts etc., so now I ride with no insurance on the motorcy.

I guess they figure after two years the bike is a write off :) and not worth insuring.

Allan

I bought the usual Honda Wave 125 a couple years ago, had insurance on it, now when I tried to get insurance for it this year, Honda company where I bought it, said 'NO" I can not buy it, Hua Hin is a too high of a risk place for accidents, thefts etc., so now I ride with no insurance on the motorcy.

I guess they figure after two years the bike is a write off :) and not worth insuring.

What a load of nonsense – contact Thai Visa Insurance and they will offer you quotations for 1st (comprehensive) and 2nd (Third party, Fire & Theft) cover