Closing The Bars At Midnight?

IanForbes

yeah, it's confusing this. does this alleged law change apply only to girly bars or to everywhere that sells alcohol?

any advance on this anyone? is this a unilateral and enforced law change or is it still subject to kind donations to the police benevolent fund?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sojourner

re ... the President Hotel

the president . the 1991 club , the one on the end of that soi and all the other kareoke ( sing a song ) bars along chang clan road and in chiang mai land never close even on dry days ( bars closed / no alcahol being sold ) coz they have mainly japanese / korean / chinesse customers who pay big money to see a girl

so bigger tea money can be paid by sing a song bars and pandoras and suyuri sell booze on dry days as well

if you dont believe me ? take a ride round on any dry day !

dave2

its just a temporary thing. Things would get normal soon!

Yeah but u got a university degree and lived here for 20 odd years? :D

nope i am not like an ajarn. :o am just someone with a little common sense.

Glad to hear there are still some around :D

Its all Bars in chiang mai that are being forced to close 1 hour earlier than there license allows legal closing time is 1am as I understood when I had my bar, but who is going to argue with the cops

There's a new sheriff in town and he wants his tea money

Should be back to normal soon

yeah, it's confusing this. does this alleged law change apply only to girly bars or to everywhere that sells alcohol?

any advance on this anyone? is this a unilateral and enforced law change or is it still subject to kind donations to the police benevolent fund?

This is happening everywhere. I was just at Freedom bar, a tiny little hole in the wall place owned by a Thai friend of mine. Certainly no sort of girly bar, and not in a busy area. They're shutting him down at 12 also. From what he said, and I think it's already been mentioned, there's a new sheriff in town so to speak. Somebody from down BKK way now in charge. I'm not sure how on the nail this is though.

• 2 weeks later...

This is happening everywhere. I was just at Freedom bar, a tiny little hole in the wall place owned by a Thai friend of mine. Certainly no sort of girly bar, and not in a busy area. They're shutting him down at 12 also. From what he said, and I think it's already been mentioned, there's a new sheriff in town so to speak. Somebody from down BKK way now in charge. I'm not sure how on the nail this is though.

I hope I didn't miss something but is the new sheriff in town here to replace the sheriff who did a runner with the c.m police bonus a couple of months back??

They close the bars here in BC about 1:00 AM, but it is so boring that I can't imagine anyone staying that long. There is absolutely nothing to do in our bars except drink... and the cops wait for the people who drive with anything more under their belt than 2 beer. You then lose your license to drive for 6 months and pay escalating upward fines starting at $250 at the first time offence.

I hope I didn't miss something but is the new sheriff in town here to replace the sheriff who did a runner with the c.m police bonus a couple of months back??

I wasn't the sheriff who did the runner.. Just a regular cop who took 1.2 million baht for the boys. He had done it before, and no problem. This time, he took his whole family with him.

In my experience, you are basically right, but not any student will call their teacher 'Ajarn'. Prathom and Mathayom schools are a good example. Some may call you 'Ajarn', but it is usually out of respect because 'Ajarn' is used mostly in universities. In universities, it is more common to to use 'Ajarn' with your teachers, but I think you will find that the issue of respect is more common. I agree with you that this fom of respect (and others) is mostly given because of your job, rather than qualifications. My job is not an Ajarn, but a teacher, When you are here more than a few years it will make more sense to you. :o

If it's out of respect, shouldn't it be that other people name you ajarn. IE your username is William but people address you as ajarn on the board. Naming yourself ajarn clearly shows conceit, arrogance and ego - all very unThai qualities. You've been here a long time and should know that.

'ajarn' and 'kruu' are similar but slightly different. 'ajarn' means more of an expert in a particular field who passes on that knowledge. language teachers are often called 'ajarn' as they are experts in a particular language. Anyone can be an ajarn. If you teach people how to clean shoes, you may be called ajarn but never kruu. 'kruu' seems to be more of a general term for teacher and usually applies to teachers in primary and secondary education.

No doubt a certain 'expert' will be along in a moment to tell me I wrong.

Edited by Loaded

In my experience, you are basically right, but not any student will call their teacher 'Ajarn'. Prathom and Mathayom schools are a good example. Some may call you 'Ajarn', but it is usually out of respect because 'Ajarn' is used mostly in universities. In universities, it is more common to to use 'Ajarn' with your teachers, but I think you will find that the issue of respect is more common. I agree with you that this fom of respect (and others) is mostly given because of your job, rather than qualifications. My job is not an Ajarn, but a teacher, When you are here more than a few years it will make more sense to you. :D

If it's out of respect, shouldn't it be that other people name you ajarn. IE your username is William but people address you as ajarn on the board. Naming yourself ajarn clearly shows conceit, arrogance and ego - all very unThai qualities. You've been here a long time and should know that.

'ajarn' and 'kruu' are similar but slightly different. 'ajarn' means more of an expert in a particular field who passes on that knowledge. language teachers are often called 'ajarn' as they are experts in a particular language. Anyone can be an ajarn. If you teach people how to clean shoes, you may be called ajarn but never kruu. 'kruu' seems to be more of a general term for teacher and usually applies to teachers in primary and secondary education.

No doubt a certain 'expert' will be along in a moment to tell me I wrong.

Hey Loaded

your wrong :D not sure what my expertise it but I guess I can think of something :o

Khun F-Cravings sayeth thus : ... snip ... "not sure what my expertise it but I guess I can think of something."

To which Khun Blink-eee replied : "Seems it isn't English."

Sawasdee Khun Blink-eee,

I'd hazard a guess that Khun F-Craving's expertise may be in the area of carping. However, we Orangs have been known to have a bias against Chimps, because they do not turn around three times or more fully before smelling each others <deleted>, so take what I say with a slippery banana peel.

As far as Khun Ajarn goes, I find him very wise, bet he has some Orang blood.

~o:37;

Khun F-Cravings sayeth thus : ... snip ... "not sure what my expertise it but I guess I can think of something."

To which Khun Blink-eee replied : "Seems it isn't English."

Sawasdee Khun Blink-eee,

I'd hazard a guess that Khun F-Craving's expertise may be in the area of carping. However, we Orangs have been known to have a bias against Chimps, because they do not turn around three times or more fully before smelling each others <deleted>, so take what I say with a slippery banana peel.

As far as Khun Ajarn goes, I find him very wise, bet he has some Orang blood.

~o:37;

Saya orang bule tapi ada darah warna merah. Same as all the others.