Roof/ Vents/ Insulation

songhklasid

Anyone know or has had done roof insulation/ & roof vents installed in greater chiang-mai area? or a large hardware store where I can buy same , any input appreciated

regards songkhlasid.

I bought insulation for my ceiling at Global house last year. It was worth the money - it has helped a lot.

I installed ceiling vent fans in my upstair ceiling and in the evening it sucks in the cool air from the windows also moving the air in the roof space, forcing it out. Got the Mitsubishi fans from Home Pro.

Looking t Insulation at Home Mart in Surin, so I guess they all have it. As for as vents? only see the shit wood ones so......

what is the ceiling vent fan? sounds intresting. Having house build, had roof vents put in, and soffit vents,so a ceiling vent fan if it like what we called attic fans would be great.

~

Several years ago I put a passive roof vent on the peak of the roof and it made a HUGE difference in the build-up of heat in the house, much of which used to radiate down from the ceiling. It is the big aluminum kind in a spherical shape with louvers cut all around. No leaks, it turns solely from the heat coming up through it and it was one of the best decisions we made for our home.

Between the Hangdong Rd Lotus and the ring road, on the airport side, you will see a huge fan above rooftop level and the vents are available there.

The roof vents common in aust are colourbond steel "whirlybird " type , they spin freely with the breeze, & suck out the hot air thru ceiling vents in the room ceiling as we all know hot air rises.I think together with large eaves, tinted windows, concrte& tiles, roof insulation, you should get a cooler house with or without air-con. Is their a home mart in C.M. I take it thats a hardware place, good I also need big rubber mats for the bathroom tile floor, before someone breaks a bone, SLIPPERY.

regards songkhlasid,

feel free to comment, I,m all ear's.

Many Home Mart dealers in CM, probably the largest is Nopadon Panit on the Super Highway access road between the roads to Doi Saket and Mae Joe, south side. They have insulation and rubber mats but maybe not roof vents.

• 2 weeks later...

We bought our passive roof vents (turbines) at a metal shop in Sansai on the right, just before the maejo intersection on Hi 1001. We put foil faced bubble wrap insulation from Home Pro down on the ceiling to isolate the attic from the living area, installed vents in the gable ends, and the passive turbines (2) on the roof. It keeps the house fairly cool and works well to remove the buildup of hot air.

• 2 years later...

Need a small supply of roof tiles to complete an additional mini-roof we have installed. Need CPAC tiles: Neustile, Rustiqwue, oak - to match the main roof, installed by Nopphadpn Phanit last year. Problem: only available by special order from CPAC. Been waiting three months for order to arrive. Anybody know where I can find this tile in stock in Chiang Mai area?

Can you e-mail me at [email protected] too? Thanks!

~

Several years ago I put a passive roof vent on the peak of the roof and it made a HUGE difference in the build-up of heat in the house, much of which used to radiate down from the ceiling. It is the big aluminum kind in a spherical shape with louvers cut all around. No leaks, it turns solely from the heat coming up through it and it was one of the best decisions we made for our home.

Between the Hangdong Rd Lotus and the ring road, on the airport side, you will see a huge fan above rooftop level and the vents are available there.

I agree with you on that, put 3 in years ago and the very dry hot air coming down from the ceiling was much reduced, guess we must have bought them in the same place. One other advantage, bats hate them, cleared my loft out PDQ, they obviously dont like the sun flashing off the turning blades!

• 5 months later...

How do they make it so these spinning gizmos don't leak ?

I have seen some installed, probably incorrectly in a work shop, and it leaks like a sieve !!! But I also see them on many places so I am sure there must be some way.

Also, I presume that putting some panels under the eves with slits in them will help allot with air flow. Any comments?

A couple of pics of the spinning monsters below.

http://images03.olx.com.my/ui/8/25/61/1283431561_117392461_1-Pictures-of--Turbine-Ventilator-1283431561.jpg

http://www.schindlerroofing.com/_images/turbine.jpg

How do they make it so these spinning gizmos don't leak ?

I have seen some installed, probably incorrectly in a work shop, and it leaks like a sieve !!! But I also see them on many places so I am sure there must be some way.

Also, I presume that putting some panels under the eves with slits in them will help allot with air flow. Any comments?

A couple of pics of the spinning monsters below.

http://images03.olx.com.my/ui/8/25/61/1283431561_117392461_1-Pictures-of--Turbine-Ventilator-1283431561.jpg

http://www.schindlerroofing.com/_images/turbine.jpg

Can't answer you first question but ourselves and neighbours all have spinners, bought and installed from the place on Hang Dong Rd not far from Tesco.Ours cost 3,500b installed.They definitely don't leak.I would imagine leaking could occur if the flashing around them was not properly installed. They do help but we are in the process of putting insulation in the ceiling as well. Large range at Home Pro and Global house ,different thicknesses and obviously different prices. We want to also put in roof vents around under the eaves, so far can't find ready- made but might be a case of improvising with cut out slots with fly wire inside .As an experiment we removed the inspection hatch in the bathroom to allow cooler air into the celing the difference was amazing. What you spend will be offset by using less aircon power.I would imagine.