Letter To Newspapers

Sunbelt Asia

From an e-mail...

Dear Guest, friends and relatives,

The tsunami has been and gone and the world, quite rightly, was deeply

shocked by the distress and suffering caused by the greatest natural

disaster in human history, responding magnificently with record donations.

But, the world is beginning to move on and the second wave of the disaster

is upon those of us left behind.

I am the owner/ manager of a hotel on the tourist island of Phuket and my

hotel is nearly empty. This is true of all the accommodation and tourist

venues on the island. The tourists have stopped coming. The second wave of

destruction is upon us in the form of reluctant sackings, work without pay,

work at half-pay and shops without customers. The effect on low-income

families and local individuals in debt, with children to care for, is

terrible. It is a slower form of death than the initial tsunamis could ever

achieve.

And, in the case of Phuket, it is not necessary. Only the west-coast strip

has been damaged and is being quickly repaired The infrastructure of 80% of

the island is intact. Wonderful vacations in this island paradise are here

for the taking. Please, people of Australia and the whole world, come back.

The people of Phuket desperately need you.

Alex Bressers & Hans de Beer, Managers,

Baan Yin Dee Boutique Resort,

www.baanyindee.com

Patong Beach,

Phuket, Thailand.

From an e-mail...   

Dear Guest, friends and relatives,

The tsunami has been and gone and the world, quite rightly, was deeply

shocked by the distress and suffering caused by the greatest natural

disaster in human history, responding magnificently with record donations. 

But, the world is beginning to move on and the second wave of the disaster

is upon those of us left behind.

hotel is nearly empty.  This is true of all the accommodation and tourist

venues on the island.  The tourists have stopped coming.  The second wave of

work at half-pay and shops without customers.  The effect on low-income

terrible.  It is a slower form of death than the initial tsunamis could ever

achieve.

And, in the case of Phuket, it is not necessary.  Only the west-coast strip

has been damaged and is being quickly repaired  The infrastructure of 80% of

the island is intact.  Wonderful vacations in this island paradise are here

for the taking.  Please, people of Australia and the whole world, come back.

The people of Phuket desperately need you.

Alex Bressers & Hans de Beer, Managers,

Baan Yin Dee Boutique Resort,

www.baanyindee.com

Patong Beach,

Phuket, Thailand.

What I am the most concerned about when visiting Phuket is all the debris and trash that was created by the Tsunami. I saw an article in the Bangkok Post about the burning of debris on Phi Phi. I wouldn't want to go on vacation to breath in all this pollution.

Dear Sir,

I am the owner of a hotel that for the past XX years has been charging a premium price, invariably way over normal cost + profit margins. For the last XX years, we have not accumulated any reserves from our profits and have spent everything we have earnt over these good years. We benefited immensly from the Bali disaster, by way of incremental business which has helped our profits. Due to our lax financial controls, we find ourselves in a slight jam. For the last 3 weeks, nobody has visited our hotel and thus we have no income. Unfortunately we have no reserves other what has been spent already. Unfortunately the fixed costs in a hotel are rather high. Highest of course is staff costs, given that we own the land and buildings already. So in order to preserve money, we have sacked our staff. These staff dont earn a lot, but by getting rid off 20 staff, we are saving around 20,000 baht per week ( or the equivalent income of 1 rooms for a week at US$100 per night). The bar and restuarant is quiet as well so we have sacked the bar staff and restaurant staff as well. We know our prices are high here in Phuket, but truly we do need to sell a bottle of Heineken for which we pay 26baht, at cost +300%. Please dont ask us to go to the bank and secure financing based on our land because we have already put as collateral the hotel for a housing project we thought we would make a fortune on. Unfortunately thats not looking too promising right now.

However, you can help us here, we NEED you to come back to save our staff from losing their jobs. We would love to dig into our pockets but because of our stupidity and short sightedness, we have no reserves - go on do us a favour and book rooms and come and help us out, we really need your US$100 and so do our staff. Just to make it worthwile, we will honour our old high season prices, so you can stay in Phuket at the same price as before the disaster. Dont be a cheapskate and ask for a discount as everytime we reduce the price, we have to take it out of the staff salaries. We have to make our profit numbers after all. This is Thailand.

I am sorry but there is no excuse for any well run company to be laying off staff and trying to put the blame on their customers - Its the first rule of business management, accumulate cash reserves and keep enough to keep your business running over for just such an incident. Any well run business should have insurance coverage for business interuption beyond their control or deep enough pockets to effectively self insure.

The company I worked for was massively hit by SARS. Our business income dried up by 98% - we did not lay off one member of staff. We did ask staff to take unpaid 2 weeks leave over 3 months, the entire regional management team was paid at 50% of salary for 2 months and we did reduce all our other expenses drastically. We did pay our bills, we accurately forecast worse case scenarios for SARS lasting 12 months, we renegotiated lease payments, BUT we did not make our staff, who could least afford to lose their jobs, suffer. We as managers, managed.

In my company now which has been established for 18 months, we could and would pay our staff before the management team. We have enough reserves to pay our fixed costs and staff for the next 18 months without any income. These guys have overstretched themselves and its the small person who is going to pay.

Sorry to sound unsympathetic but this kind of letter really annoys me.

Dear Sir,

I am the owner of a hotel that for the past XX years has been charging a premium price, invariably way over normal cost + profit margins.    For the last XX years, we have not accumulated any reserves from our profits and have spent everything we have earnt over these good years.    We benefited immensly from the Bali disaster, by way of incremental business which has helped our profits.  Due to our lax financial controls, we find ourselves in a slight jam.  For the last 3 weeks, nobody has visited our hotel and thus we have no income.  Unfortunately we have no reserves other what has been spent already.  Unfortunately the fixed costs in a hotel are rather high.  Highest of course is staff costs, given that we own the land and buildings already.    So in order to preserve money, we have sacked our staff.  These staff dont earn a lot, but by getting rid off 20 staff, we are saving around 20,000 baht per week ( or the equivalent income of 1 rooms for a week at US$100 per night). The bar and restuarant is quiet as well so we have sacked the bar staff and restaurant staff as well. We know our prices are high here in Phuket, but truly we do need to sell a bottle of Heineken for which we pay 26baht, at cost +300%.  Please dont ask us to go to the bank and secure financing based on our land because we have already put as collateral the hotel for a housing project we thought we would make a fortune on.  Unfortunately thats not looking too promising right now.

However, you can help us here, we NEED you to come back to save our staff from losing their jobs.  We would love to dig into our pockets but because of our stupidity and short sightedness, we have no reserves - go on do us a favour and book rooms and come and help us out, we really need your US$100 and so do our staff.  Just to make it worthwile, we will honour our old high season prices, so you can stay in Phuket at the same price as before the disaster.  Dont be a cheapskate and ask for a discount as everytime we reduce the price, we have to take it out of the staff salaries.  We have to make our profit numbers after all.  This is Thailand.

I am sorry but there is no excuse for any well run company to be laying off staff and trying to put the blame on their customers - Its the first rule of business management, accumulate cash reserves and keep enough to keep your business running over for just such an incident.    Any well run business should have insurance coverage for business interuption beyond their control or deep enough pockets to effectively self insure.   

The company I worked for was massively hit by SARS. Our business income dried up by 98% - we did not lay off one member of staff.  We did ask staff to take unpaid 2 weeks leave over 3 months, the entire regional management team was paid at 50% of salary for 2 months and we did reduce all our other expenses drastically.  We did pay our bills, we accurately forecast worse case scenarios for SARS lasting 12 months, we renegotiated lease payments, BUT we did not make our staff, who could least afford to lose their jobs, suffer.    We as managers, managed.

In my company now which has been established for 18 months, we could and would pay our staff before the management team.  We have enough reserves to pay our fixed costs and staff for the next 18 months without any income.    These guys have overstretched themselves and its the small person who is going to pay.

Have you tried to get an insurance company to pay up over an "Act of God" ??? doesnt happen...

While this letter does sound like a begging letter and I noticed that the names are not Thai ones....it does highlight exactly what is needed not just in Thailand but all of the areas hit....they need to get the custom back and quick...For a long time the Balinese suffered from tourism loss after the bombings...That doesnt need to happen here.

Noticed also they highlighted the Aussies....I guess I could read all sorts into that... :o

Thai names or not doesn't make much difference does it..

Then again, why should Phuket 'deserve' a huge number of tourists while other parts of the country remain completely devoid of tourists and tourist dollars, not just temporary but up to now 'forever'?

Perhaps now people will give Isan a try for their travels, or the North beyond the Chiang Mai night bazar.. I really can't see why Mr. Bresser and De Beer would be more deserving of renewed tourist arrivals compared to some family trying to make a living running a guesthouse in Nong Khai, Phrae, Prachuap, Chumpon, etc, etc.

Boohoohoo.

And of course, if Misters Bresser and de Beer start an interesting promotional rate then I may take notice. Had a pretty decent holiday in Phuket (first time there) during the height of the sars-hype.

So... talk is cheap, but 1000 baht for a 4-5 star hotel near the beach and I'll be there pretty soon. Would pay for staff salaries at least... :o

Thai names or not doesn't make much difference does it..

Then again, why should Phuket 'deserve' a huge number of tourists while other parts of the country remain completely devoid of tourists and tourist dollars, not just temporary but up to now 'forever'? 

Perhaps now people will give Isan a try for their travels, or the North beyond the Chiang Mai night bazar..      I really can't see why Mr. Bresser and De Beer would be more deserving of renewed tourist arrivals compared to some family trying to make a living running a guesthouse in Nong Khai, Phrae, Prachuap, Chumpon, etc, etc.

Boohoohoo.

I see your point....I have frequently travelled to Isan areas...unfortunately Most tourists couldnt handle cold dip showers and squat toilets...But dont feel so bad about these areas as the influx of farangs has reached even the remotest of communities.....the difference between my ex's village in 7 years was nothing short of amazing and the number of farangs has increased 5 fold and is getting worse.... :o

Real wingers...You guys got it in one. First Insurance..but maybe 'Boutique' Hotels are uninsurable...one would hope so..against what risk?...changes in fashion?

I went to Phuket. I have a house there. Patong is dreadful...well it was never much good anyway in recent times....the idea that you could have a 'holiday'there by the criteria of a Travel Brochure or even by the crazed wreckage of Punter standards is laughable.

Second...a good business is a careful business...don't sound like them. Bad luck if you were hired by them I guess.

Sink.......!!

Dear Sir,

I am the owner of a hotel that for the past XX years has been charging a premium price, invariably way over normal cost + profit margins.    For the last XX years, we have not accumulated any reserves from our profits and have spent everything we have earnt over these good years.    We benefited immensly from the Bali disaster, by way of incremental business which has helped our profits.  Due to our lax financial controls, we find ourselves in a slight jam.  For the last 3 weeks, nobody has visited our hotel and thus we have no income.  Unfortunately we have no reserves other what has been spent already.  Unfortunately the fixed costs in a hotel are rather high.  Highest of course is staff costs, given that we own the land and buildings already.    So in order to preserve money, we have sacked our staff.  These staff dont earn a lot, but by getting rid off 20 staff, we are saving around 20,000 baht per week ( or the equivalent income of 1 rooms for a week at US$100 per night). The bar and restuarant is quiet as well so we have sacked the bar staff and restaurant staff as well. We know our prices are high here in Phuket, but truly we do need to sell a bottle of Heineken for which we pay 26baht, at cost +300%.  Please dont ask us to go to the bank and secure financing based on our land because we have already put as collateral the hotel for a housing project we thought we would make a fortune on.  Unfortunately thats not looking too promising right now.

However, you can help us here, we NEED you to come back to save our staff from losing their jobs.  We would love to dig into our pockets but because of our stupidity and short sightedness, we have no reserves - go on do us a favour and book rooms and come and help us out, we really need your US$100 and so do our staff.  Just to make it worthwile, we will honour our old high season prices, so you can stay in Phuket at the same price as before the disaster.  Dont be a cheapskate and ask for a discount as everytime we reduce the price, we have to take it out of the staff salaries.  We have to make our profit numbers after all.  This is Thailand.

I am sorry but there is no excuse for any well run company to be laying off staff and trying to put the blame on their customers - Its the first rule of business management, accumulate cash reserves and keep enough to keep your business running over for just such an incident.    Any well run business should have insurance coverage for business interuption beyond their control or deep enough pockets to effectively self insure.   

The company I worked for was massively hit by SARS. Our business income dried up by 98% - we did not lay off one member of staff.  We did ask staff to take unpaid 2 weeks leave over 3 months, the entire regional management team was paid at 50% of salary for 2 months and we did reduce all our other expenses drastically.  We did pay our bills, we accurately forecast worse case scenarios for SARS lasting 12 months, we renegotiated lease payments, BUT we did not make our staff, who could least afford to lose their jobs, suffer.    We as managers, managed.

In my company now which has been established for 18 months, we could and would pay our staff before the management team.  We have enough reserves to pay our fixed costs and staff for the next 18 months without any income.    These guys have overstretched themselves and its the small person who is going to pay.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a well-thought-out and exacting letter. I am in complete agreement with you on these "pleas".

I just had a look over their website. Very well done site and likely to have cost a fortune. Hotel looks like its less than 2 years old. Located above and to the south of Patong Beach/bay.

Room rates are outrageous - its as expensive as the JW Marriott but without the grounds from what I can tell. Reading between the lines these guys have truly over extended themselves and have no cash.

Unfortunately no signs of 1,000 baht special offers - no signs of any special offers which is what I would have done straight away this happened and got the specials onto the website. I think they are being somewhat naive in 'expecting' people to 'help' them out to keep their staff. Reminds me of the first job I had at 14 years old in Safeway after school. Little one line comment on the back of the namecard I had to wear when on duty. Something along the lines of "Our customers are not dependant on us, but we are dependant upon them" It was a simpler wording and no doubt is a classic saying on training courses the world over.

Looks like Sunbelt might be getting a firesale listing very soon (unless they have already !!)

And of course, if Misters Bresser and de Beer start an interesting promotional rate then I may take notice.  Had a pretty decent holiday in Phuket (first time there) during the height of the sars-hype. 

So... talk is cheap, but 1000 baht for a 4-5 star hotel near the beach and I'll be there pretty soon.  Would pay for staff salaries at least... :o

By the sound of things, even if you get the 1,000 baht rate at this hotel, you will be making your own bed and serving your own drinks. No staff - gone already and starving by the streetside according to the first begging letter. By the way bring some 10 baht coins for the electric meter if you want any power or air con.

I in no way intend to belittle the suffering of those who have been through a dreadful experience with the Tsunami but as a business person and being a bit mercenary about this, I assume similar properties are over extended around the Andaman region and are ill placed to cope with the loss of tourist numbers. This strikes me as a great opportunity to buy a hotel at Fire Sale prices (and of course, philanthropist that I am re-engage those poor staff who have been fired).

The question I suppose is one of timing, at this stage in the cycle following the disaster and clarification of immediate property damage, the unprepared may be depending upon hope/reckless optimism for a reasonable finish to the high season. My assumption is that the best time to be looking to buy would be mid way through the low season when things should really start to bite. What do others think?

Again I will add the caveat that the only misfortune I am seeking to profit from here is those who were greedy/foolish enough to overextend themselves in the first place. I appreciate that this could be a very sensitive subject. Buying a tourist business in this region even at a low price would not be without significant risk (in estimating when tourist numbers would start to grow strongly again), but perhaps offers a way of helping the employees of that business as well as myself. If anyone feels this is offensive or in poor taste I will be happy to delete this post, but i hope it is clear where I am coming from here.

Dear Sir,

......  These guys have overstretched themselves and its the small person who is going to pay.

Well said. How the ###### do they expect people to pay those rates???

Boutique resort is just another fashion label for those people who have a small hotel but want to charge premium prioes. A marketing mans dream.

I jusy have to laugh at the difference in the walk in rates and the pre booked.- 10,000B a night in the presidential suite. What a CON! It makes me mad that hotels do this. A hotel room is a perishable commodity at the best of times and now he wants to turn away business by adding almost 50% And then he adds service and vat on top? And 800B for a airport transfer.

God, you would think people who have that sort of money would have the brains to work out its way overpriced.

If thats the place I am thinking of, then I am a bit surprised it got hit by the tsunami. I thought it would have been high enough up the hill to avoid it. Or is he just saying no one is here to pay my outrageous prices?

I got a letter of mine published in monday's Post.

...Saying that the new tsunami warning centre should be physically located in Phi Phi or Khao Lak, so that the old gimmers who run it don't get too idle about issuing new warnings.

(Facetious, yet true)

Two posts in a row - i'm a sad git -

but .....

Just one thing.

Bosses who get into these situations and cut staff salaries -"Sorry no money"

Its <deleted>.

They do have the money - tucked away somewhere. They just figure it would be better to screw the subordinates and buy a new plasma television.

Why pay the saps? After all, they're probably getting paid in arrears and after there's one month unpaid, the unfortunate staff members figure they'll soldier on and hope for the best, rather than cut their losses and walk.

Its called 'Capitalism'

Second...a good business is a careful business...don't sound like them. Bad luck if you were hired by them I guess.

Sink.......!!

This thread is missing one slight point...who on earth was 'careful' to plan for a tsunami??? The other point being, while I wouldn't pony up for a 10,000 baht hotel, I recognise the base fact, the best way forward to help local people in Phuket, is to visit.

I await what can only be called 'self-righteous scorn' ... going on what i've read here thus far... :o

Sink.......!!

This thread is missing one slight point...who on earth was 'careful' to plan for a tsunami??? The other point being, while I wouldn't pony up for a 10,000 baht hotel, I recognise the base fact, the best way forward to help local people in Phuket, is to visit.

I await what can only be called 'self-righteous scorn' ... going on what i've read here thus far... :o

Sorry. I lived in Phuket for several years and one of the reasons we sold up was concerns about tsunamis...Every one we knew had the same concern but took the risk....of course there were other reasons like the water supply, the short high season, mean package tourists, Rents . While we could not make the figures add up, we were keeping a watchful eye on the US Geological Survey. So I am the smug one..No I am not. We have lost good friends and part of a house...so I can't feel over sorry for them...better direct practical help to the Chao Lay etc

Sink.......!!

Not saying that you 'plan' specifically for a Tsunami - many factors could affect hotel occupancy. SARS, terrorist attack on Phuket or any of the smaller resort areas on the Andaman Sea any of which would empty the hotel. My concern is the way the letter is written originally by taking advantage of a situation and an inference that its the fault of the customers. This hotel seems to have escaped from damage and they are caught up in something not of their making, but they have no contingency plan. Not exactly self righteous scorn in my opinion. Assuming this hotel has say 20 staff - there salary bill would be around 20,000-30,000 baht a week. Three weeks after the disaster, they are laying off staff which indicates they have little or no reserves or are deciding to not use reserves to pay for the staff salaries. Either way, not very smart way to run a business. I have a lot more sympathy with mom & pop shops who's entire livlihood was washed away and they probably have nothing more than the clothes they were wearing. But a large clearly expensive resort should have better provisions for such a disaster.

actually i don't like the always negative way like some guys like to write their comments here in the forum

hey if you have all these experience like you suggest afterwords and your complaining about alot of things which are different then in yoour western thinking and view so please keep it for your self and come with something it is useful

it will take me away to read about thai expats because it seems to be most of them are already crazy by birth

otherwise i can not understand this statements

thanks guys to show up your small level

bin ich maurer oder was

actually i don't like the always negative way like some guys like to write their comments here in the forum

then go and read the bangkok post.

not everything is perfect here and it does no harm to discuss it or even whinge about it , not everybody views this country through rose coloured specs.

I notice no-one jumped up and down shaking their righteous assess when a very pleasant Thai gentleman who owns a resort in Krabi said exactly the same thing about 10 days ago, posted in the Tsunami section.

How was that letter blaming customers? I didn't see any blame being laid anywhere, just another politely put version of the general plea that is eminating from all business sectors for people to come back to Phuket.

Those room rates are too much for you? Fine you obviously don't belong in their market bracket, but those rates are cheap for that kind of hotel.

As devastating as the tsunami was, it came on the back of Avian Flu, SARS, war in Iraq, Bali bomb, Sept 11, pretty much year on year for the past 4 years, so I guess most tourist related business reserves would get streched over that amount of time.

We could go round to their hotel and give them a good kicking, helll why not get ourselves a lynch mob for these dirty, evil capitalists.

Nice that those fortunate enough to survive the tsunami earn your contempt for trying to keep their business' afloat, many friends are in dire starights here, Tornado, a respected member and busnessman in Phuket for many years is having to sell up and move on, is that his own fault too?

Your views sadden me.

Fatter than harry said

Tornado, a respected member and busnessman in Phuket for many years is having to sell up and move on, is that his own fault too?
but Tornado said in his fire sale post.
The reason I am selling up has nothing to do with my finances, it is just getting rid of the "stuff" that keeps you bogged down. I am wanting the freedom of carrying what I own, instead of posessions owning me. I think we all lose sight of what really is important.

The Tsunami has not made me rethink Phuket, it has just sped up my plans as I was always going to leave here this year anyway. Phuket will bounce back and I will always have a home here as I will somewhere else.

it seems tornado decided a while ago to move on ........a cynic might suggest that it just possible your respected member and businessman is deserting the sinking ship rather than working to effect a refloat ??

as for hotels and the tourist industry , it is a cyclical business and effected by many things other than tsunamis , such as wars,air fares,local politics, terrorism and large hotels should not have to lay of their lower paid staff in order to keep the gravy train running for managers and owners.

to send letters out asking prospective guests to think about staff redundancies in order to gain "sympathy bookings " is marketing of the most cynical kind.

their is nothing wrong or evil about capitalism , its a wonderful system , but far too much capitalism , especially in the tourist industry and especially in thailand is based upon the overloaded backs of the lower level employees , and that is when the nasty side of capitalism rears its ugly head . its called exploitation. and with the profit margins that the hotels work on it shouldn't be happening. especially in an undamaged business like the hotel in this post.

there are far too many hotels , the hotels are too big , and they charge too much.

their proliferation has been the result of greed and not sensible market planning or co-ordinated tourism policy. this is thailand.

I notice no-one jumped up and down shaking their righteous assess when a very pleasant Thai gentleman who owns a resort in Krabi said exactly the same thing about 10 days ago, posted in the Tsunami section.

How was that letter blaming customers? I didn't see any blame being laid anywhere, just another politely put version of the general plea that is eminating from all business sectors for people to come back to Phuket.

Those room rates are too much for you? Fine you obviously don't belong in their market bracket, but those rates are cheap for that kind of hotel.

As devastating as the tsunami was, it came on the back of Avian Flu, SARS, war in Iraq, Bali bomb, Sept 11, pretty much year on year for the past 4 years, so I guess most  tourist related business reserves would get streched over that amount of time.

We could go round to their hotel and give them a good kicking, helll why not get ourselves a lynch mob for these dirty, evil capitalists.

Nice that those fortunate enough to survive the tsunami earn your contempt for trying to keep their business' afloat, many friends are in dire starights here, Tornado, a respected member and busnessman in Phuket for many years is having to sell up and move on, is that his own fault too?

Your views sadden me.

I have not seen the comments from the Thai hotel owner and specifically have not seen or heard of any such letters being written by a Thai. Only examples I have come across have been this one and the general comments put out by the JW Marriotts PR department attributed to the farang head of sales/marketing.

Nobody has issue with the severity of the disaster and the large scale problems it has caused. I do not see any comments along those lines from any posters. The specific concern is the content of the letter:-

hotel is nearly empty. This is true of all the accommodation and tourist

venues on the island. The tourists have stopped coming. The second wave of

work at half-pay and shops without customers. The effect on low-income

terrible. It is a slower form of death than the initial tsunamis could ever

achieve.

You are entitled of course to your opinion, as am I. In my opinion this letter is unprofessional, badly written and does not portray anything positive. Its not going to get people back to Phuket. The words portray a 3rd world environment with children begging for scraps of food in the street, ravaged by death and decaying bodies - hardly a picture of health, happiness and relaxing well being.

As we know, this is not a accurate reflection of Phuket, but someone in say Australia reading this letter aint going to suddenly say, "gee lets get on the plane and go and have a wonderfull beach holiday in Phuket."

Anybody with a disposable income able to afford US$200 per night for a room is not going to go to Phuket right now unless something changes. Can you imagine, Mercedes Benz advertising its cars along the lines that their workers in Germany are really suffering because nobody is buying their cars. Not a chance of it. Negative marketing works for appeals to extract donations but it does not sell a product - people do not buy big ticket products out of guilt or sympathy. For a holiday they are buying a dream, and this letter sounds like a nightmare on the streets.

This is not only well written... it took baIIs to post it.

How much 'interest' do these owners have in their staff? None! They are interested ONLY in thier own pockets and using emotional blackmail to that end.

Brilliant deduction work from your Greek base, how much interest do you have in your staff? None? Some? I guess like all customer driven business you have a lot off interest in your staff, as do the hotel operators in southern Thailand. If, god forbid, you'd had 4 years of catastrophes and as a last resort you had to lay off some staff I'd imagine you'd feel 'reluctant', as do the hotel operators in southern Thailand.

quote=digger

I have not seen the comments from the Thai hotel owner and specifically have not seen or heard of any such letters being written by a Thai.

The poster was called Soony who owns a restaurant in Krabi (Not a hotel, my mistake, but the sentiments are the same) http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...sult_type=posts

Tax said:

to send letters out asking prospective guests to think about staff redundancies in order to gain "sympathy bookings " is marketing of the most cynical kind.

If it is cynical then it is no more cynical than the worldwide tv coverage of the 'devastaion' of Phuket, you should have seen the camera crews vying for space around the ever decreasing rubble pile that was being removed from the north end of Patong last week, although unlike you I didn't think to myself 'you cynical bastards' I thought 'fair enough, some good may yet come of it'

Redundancies are harsh, but it is a reality here, better it goes unsaid? The little guy will suffer? This is a unique situation where all people are suffering, big, little, medium, all people. I too might have thought 'screw you big hotel barons, you've had it too good for too long' but they haven't had it good for a long time.

Your opinions are you're own, however your scorn is misplaced.

This is not only well written... it took baIIs to post it.

How much 'interest' do these owners have in their staff? None! They are interested ONLY in thier own pockets and using emotional blackmail to that end.

Brilliant deduction work from your Greek base, how much interest do you have in your staff? None? Some? I guess like all customer driven business you have a lot off interest in your staff, as do the hotel operators in southern Thailand. If, god forbid, you'd had 4 years of catastrophes and as a last resort you had to lay off some staff I'd imagine you'd feel 'reluctant', as do the hotel operators in southern Thailand.

quote=digger

I have not seen the comments from the Thai hotel owner and specifically have not seen or heard of any such letters being written by a Thai.

The poster was called Soony who owns a restaurant in Krabi (Not a hotel, my mistake, but the sentiments are the same) http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...sult_type=posts

Tax said:

If it is cynical then it is no more cynical than the worldwide tv coverage of the 'devastaion' of Phuket, you should have seen the camera crews vying for space around the ever decreasing rubble pile that was being removed from the north end of Patong last week, although unlike you I didn't think to myself 'you cynical bastards' I thought 'fair enough, some good may yet come of it'

Redundancies are harsh, but it is a reality here, better it goes unsaid? The little guy will suffer? This is a unique situation where all people are suffering, big, little, medium, all people. I too might have thought 'screw you big hotel barons, you've had it too good for too long' but they haven't had it good for a long time.

Your opinions are you're own, however your scorn is misplaced.

Thanks for the link - I have just read through the article. Some good comments made and in particular, Sonny's were well put. Notice he did not say anything negative viz a viz sacking his staff, starving families etc. Most Thai business owners particularly smaller business owners are benevolent towards their staff. The first Thai I worked for in Bangkok would be the first to offer to pay for the operation for one of his staff needing hospital treatment etc. Often allowed time off etc. He was more of a father figure to his staff, and if you read any books on Thai management techniques, these figure highly in peoples unspoken loyalty. So nothing to disagree about there. However, this canny Thai man I used to work for, had the foresight to squirrel away cash. He did not pay fancy sums to his staff, but equally when times were bad, he would not kick them out on the streets after just 3 weeks of a downturn. He truly understood how to get loyalty out of his staff and he did it exceptionally well. He is not unqiue by any chance. Perhaps not as hard nosed as many Chinese Thai but for him he is considered successfull and wealthy. I recall during the SARS problems, he had staff busy painting the offices, clearing out stock rooms, lots of customer visits and even arranged low cost training programmes for them and all the other things most business never has time to do. "better to keep them busy" he said to me one day. He even reduced the amount of time he spent on the golf club to show solidarity with his staff (but I never saw him pick up a paint brush!!). His approach was to get the staff on his side, say that we are going through tough times and that we need to use this downtime to ensure that we are better once things turn around. He was right of course, and when SARS lapsed, we were busier than ever, but more importantly the employees felt like they wanted to go the extra mile and over deliver to him as he had stood by them all during the bad times.