Soken Plasma Tv!

chanchao

Anyone ever hear of the Soken brand for TV/DVD/Audio equipment? I mean outside of Thailand? Or is it strictly a Thai company?

Saw a frankly awesome looking plasma wide screen HD TV... Just under 100 K Baht. Image clarity really as good as all the other ones made by Panasonic, Pioneer, Toshiba.. the lot. All of those cost much more. Normally when typing in 'Brand name+Model+review' into Google you usually get a decent list of reviews from the main electronics sites... However not in this case. Only found the Thai website.

Somehow, it seems to me, if they cannot string together a mission statement in relatively correct English, then how can they build a decent plasma TV... I mean, really:

" The company's management policy is "customers are our goal, developing modernized services, looking for excellence and being the most honesty and proud". Get through the developed market, we have six years of experiences in CD market, the advance of technique, professional of services and honesty which are the feature of our brand, we succeed in the market, now our sales is ranged at the highest in DVD products market. At this time Soken electronics (Thailand) Co.,Ltd becomes the leader of this type of market, power of continuous development and brilliant future market and numerous of customers acceptation. "

Right. :o

So.. did anyone buy one? Happy with it? :D I do suggest to go look at it, it really looks like a nice job.

Cheers,

Chanchao

The large International Electronic companies information/component share anyway.

I have no idea about Soken, but I bet they are assemblers only or manufacture a small percentage of the total unit.They then buy in componentary from various suppliers at low duty rates and then bang them togeather.

just a guess :o

Anyone have a website for soken? Can't seem to peg one down for them!

http://www.sokenthai.com/en/company.html

Address:

Soken Electronics (Thailand) Co., Ltd.

22 Soi. Ruam-Mit Din-Daeng Rd., Samsen Nai Payathai Bangkok 10400

Tel.0-2644-6188 Fax: 0-2644-6166

E-mal : [email protected] | [email protected]

Check their download section for operational manuals. (pdf format)

(Hope the "E-mal" is a typo, and not indicative of their Quality Control" :o )

cheers

And the TV is this one:

http://www.sokenthai.com/th/detail_product/hd_4210TI.html

(Link in the English version of the site doesn't work)

It's probably for sale in many radio/TV stores, its even in Chiang Mai at Siam TV / Electronic plaza at the price shown. (99,000 Baht). And again: The screen looks *nice* !! This is not just some wide screen projection TV job but a proper flat plasma screen, inputs for your computer / media center, and HD TV, etc.

Personally i'd steer well clear of plasma TV's - they've a limited lifespan (few years) - best wait for the larger LCD screens come on the market - most electronics makers are shifting from plasma to lcd.

just my .2p mind.

P

Anyone ever hear of the Soken brand for TV/DVD/Audio equipment?  I mean outside of Thailand? Or is it strictly a Thai company?

Never heard of Soken outside of Thailand, but you can probably buy the same equipment under a different brand name in other countries: Many of these cheap brands have the same electronics inside which have been cheaply produced in China. They are then repackaged in their own brand name for various countries. If you open them up, you'll find the made in China sticker, and the region by-pass codes for DVD players are the same for various cheap brands.

English version of the specifications can be found here:

http://www.sokenthai.com/en/detail_product/hd_4210TI.html

But does anyone really know for sure the lifespan of these plasma screens yet?

I bought some for the bar a few years ago, they were getting "Burn in" after 9 months and bad burn-in after 18 months, mind you they were constantly on sattelite sports channels.

I am also waiting for LCD. :o

I actually quite like the back-lit projector TV's

Ok the picture quality isnt too hot if your up close to it, but when youve got a 48" TV why on eart would you want to sit 2mtrs away fro mthe screen anyway!!

A lot cheaper, and some of the models i've seen in the big electronic stores have very clear screens even when you get "too" close.

All down to personal choice at the end of the day, i guess

Back lit projection TV's seem only bright when you're viewing at a 90 degree angle to the schreen.. If you're on the side, or above or below the screen then they're not very bright. Plasma though shows brilliant colours and brightness no matter what the viewing angle..

May I recommend the Benq 30"LCD HDTV

I got mine from SinSiam about 6 months ago and it is the centrepiece of my home entertainment centre.

I use it for watching my DVDs, playing all my console games (Xbox games look FAR better in HDTV mode) and also as my main PC display

Was a steal at 89k

hi'

I have a 5.1 home cinema from soken for 2 years now, and still no problem, sound is exellent and if what I heard is true they are supported by some singapore company ...

anyway it's built in Thailand and this makes me think that at least it's made for hot and wet weather ...

reliable and yes quite cheap, you don't have to pay for the name :o

francois

I got mine from SinSiam about 6 months ago and it is the centrepiece of my home entertainment centre.

I use it for watching my DVDs, playing all my console games (Xbox games look FAR better in HDTV mode) and also as my main PC display

Was a steal at 89k

What's it like viewing the TV from the side, above or below the screen?

Was a steal at 89k

What's it like viewing the TV from the side, above or below the screen?

Obviously it's not quite as good as a CRT TV, but it is has a MUCH better viewing angle compared to rear-projection.

LCD's also suffer far less from burn-in and they will last much longer than plasma

I personally would steer clear of plasma TVs - they have a tendancy for the gas to gas out and cause a slow decrease in brightness and quality

I saw a Samsung LCD possibly 46" if not then only the next size down for 99k at Robinsons. I thought this must be a mistake???

199k is more likely for the Samsung. 99k is far too cheap for anything more than 30". Each inch past 30" really adds on the $$$

Thats what I thought Ian_B. But it definately had a sign on it saying it was on sale. For 99k. There was some other text on the sign that I could not make out so I thought it may have been damaged or something, 99k is way too low for an LCD screen of that size. There were several plasma screen sitting next to it and it was the biggest and cheapest out of the lot :o

I am working overseas at the moment so do not see the need for one just now but if it is true and it all works well I think it is a bargain.

hi'

from what I heard recently the lifespan that last "just a few years" is history, one should check about the technics used to build such screens and take a look at history of these screens ...

did you notice that most of tv channel are equiped with hudge plasma screen in stategic places in the studio ..?

I don't have the money to buy such screen, but if I had I surely would buy something more needed than this .. :o

hmm .. anyone watching tv more than 2 or 3 hours a day?

around 100k for 2 or 3 hours of relax everyday, isn't a bit expensive?

francois