Any Members Of Rbsc?

lambous

Hey everyone,

Anyone a member of the RBSC? Is it value at 10,000 B's per year? How many visitors are you allowed to bring? What are the drink pices like? Do you have to pay any additional green fees to play gold, lawn bowls , watch horseracing etc. decent gym there? I don't know anybody who is a member there at present, will this be a problem? any feedback would be much appreciated.

When I am in Bangkok, I have lunch or dinner at the RBSC with some Thai friends and a couple of farang who are members.

I have been going there for 4 years now, and what a GREAT club. I love the swimming pool there, bowls, and especially the restaurant that doesn't allow mobile phones. great to watch some of the Thai businessmen have withdrawals from their mobile while having lunch.

Although the membership is very very very expensive and there are no places left, the restaurant is cheap.

On my wife's birthday, I took her and our best friends there. It cost me 300 baht for all of us :o there were special 15baht dishes that day, and really delicious.

Also a great place to meet some superstars and well-to-do Thais.

Edited by Neeranam

I agree with you. The food is cheap and good. Fun to people watch. I was brought there as well by a member awhile ago. Is it possible just to show up and eat without being a member? At the British club this is not a problem was wondering if the situation was the same. Of course I know you can't compare RSBC with the Briish club but was just wondering?

Is it value at 10,000 B's per year?
Try adding a couple more zeros, and you would be closer to the annual fee.
I have merged these topics, dont know exactly where they should go, general seems as good a spot as any.

Toatally confusing me in the process, Bronco.

Is it possible just to show up and eat without being a member?

I have gone without being a member, although not anyone can. I have gone there quite often with friends, so they recognize me.

No members on TV?

Edited by Neeranam

I agree with you.  The food is cheap and good.  Fun to people watch.  I was brought there as well by a member awhile ago.  Is it possible just to show up and eat without being a member?  At the British club this is not a problem was wondering if the situation was the same.  Of course I know you can't compare RSBC with the Briish club but was just wondering?

You must be accompanied by a Member to have Lunch or Dinner at the RBSC.

Payment for F & B is by use of a Club Credit Card (or in certain situations by using Coupons - to purchase which one must show a valid Membership Card) so it would be obvious you are not a Member when it came time to settle up - they may not physically throw you out to land on a hard surface but the situation would be pretty embarrassing!

Patrick

Really?

How did you pay?

Patrick

You are quite right Patrick about the credit card, although this is a relatively new thing. Only a couple of years, I think. Maybe this was started as people were swicking in! I have paid cash before, at the Polo Club anyway a while ago.

I have never paid recently, always letting my friends do it. I do square up with them though. Never heard about the coupons. Maybe I can get my friend to get me some.

I have not eaten there by myself for over 3 years now. What I meant was that I have gone by myself recently and used the swimming pool and met my friends later on for a meal.

Really?

How did you pay?

Patrick

You are quite right Patrick about the credit card, although this is a relatively new thing. Only a couple of years, I think. Maybe this was started as people were swicking in! I have paid cash before, at the Polo Club anyway a while ago.

I have never paid recently, always letting my friends do it. I do square up with them though. Never heard about the coupons. Maybe I can get my friend to get me some.

I have not eaten there by myself for over 3 years now. What I meant was that I have gone by myself recently and used the swimming pool and met my friends later on for a meal.

Actually I believe the Credit Card and Coupons were introduced (about 4 - 5 years ago if I remember correctly) to stop the staff skimming cash!

T I T

Patrick

Any idea how much it is to join the Polo club, Patrick?

I have heard different amounts from 150,000 a year, after an even higher joining fee, to much more.

I believe there is no way whatsoever to get into the main club now.

Not for me, I couldn't even afford 15,000 a year!

Edited by Neeranam

The membership is almost entirely very old line folks who've been members for decades and younger members who have literally inherited their memberships. For quite a few years, the only route to full memberships that has been open to the newly arrived is through one of the two nominations that each board member is entitled to make every year. Some board members are honorable, I assume, but it is well known that many are anything but. The bribe necessary to secure one of the available nominations from most board members has been reliably cited to me as two million baht.

There is a year-to-year fee for the temporary use of the club facilities that many companies pay on behalf of a senior executive. A couple of years ago I seem to remember that the fee was something like B10,000 per month, but it may well be more than that now. The catch is that you get nothing for it other than the right to to there and pay for what you use. The monthly deal accrues no membership rights and can be summarily terminated or the conditions changed by the club at their whim.

The bribe necessary to secure one of the available nominations from most board members has been reliably cited to me as two million baht.

Very interesting Oldasiahand.

I thought it would be around 1 million.

Thanks

neeranam

My source was a member thinking of running for the board several years ago and looking at it as a money-making proposition. Perhaps he exaggerated. Or perhaps not. Either way, I declined to pay anything and therefore have no personal negotiating experience on the precise amount it would actually take to buy a nomination.

OAH,

How useful would it be to have family who were full members to nominate you. I am in no rush, but is there some sort of waiting list, similar to the MCC in Melbourne?

I often joke to a member I know to adopt me as they have a family membership.

It was seemingly quite easy to join about 20 years ago+.

My nephews are down on the waiting list for the MCC - I heard the waiting list there was 20 years. I heard they stopped the waiting list at the RSBC. I guess the only way is to save 2 million baht :o

The membership is almost entirely very old line folks who've been members for decades and younger members who have literally inherited their memberships. For quite a few years, the only route to full memberships that has been open to the newly arrived is through one of the two nominations that each board member is entitled to make every year. Some board members are honorable, I assume, but it is well known that many are anything but. The bribe necessary to secure one of the available nominations from most board members has been reliably cited to me as two million baht.

There is a year-to-year fee for the temporary use of the club facilities that many companies pay on behalf of a senior executive. A couple of years ago I seem to remember that the fee was something like B10,000 per month, but it may well be more than that now. The catch is that you get nothing for it other than the right to to there and pay for what you use. The monthly deal accrues no membership rights and can be summarily terminated or the conditions changed by the club at their whim.

The "perk" of being a Committee Member and having a personal allocation of 2 Membership slots per year has been discontinued - about 2 years ago I believe - after many complaints from Members. It was certainly a moneymaker for several of the Committee. The Baht 2 million is (was) about right from what I hear.

To be frank this never really bothered me too much - the Committee Members devote quite a lot of time and effort into administrating the Club and I see no reason why they should do this FOC.

I had forgotten about the "Associate Member" category, and the last time I checked (about 5 years ago) the cost was just under Baht 100,000 per year and as OAH points out this only conveys the right to use the facilities and does not attract any preferential treatment to move up the Waiting List for full membership.

Patrick