Transferring Car Into Foreign Name

mekka

Im about to get seperated from my thai wife, she has agreed to let me keep the car, although its on finance and registered in her name, i had to supply MY own bank statements and financials and sign some papers to get the loan approved through toyota, the car is about 14 months old and im wondering if there is anyway to get the car registration into my name without having to pay the rest of the balance off?

I dont have a work permit either as i know that may be one way around it, to apply to re-finance it.

My guess is the loan needs to be paid and then the loan company and you will transfer the title (Bluebook) into your name

I doubt very much they will transfer the loan to your name without a work permit

Edited by longball53098

If the loan is already in your name not your wife's then getting the car in your name should not be a problem. I'm surprised to hear you could get a loan with no work permit!

I got a car loan just after getting retirement status. Put 35% down. The loan's in my name, the car's in my wife's name. And she doesn't drive! Go figure...

And no, while I might be wrong, I don't think she'd dump me for a car lol...

Thats the thing ther actual loan was not in my name, although i was the one who supplied bank books, statements etc...but the actual loan is in my wifes name...only in thailand..

So when youv'e paid it off the wife says can i have "my" car now? as she may still be legally married to you.

If the loan is already in your name not your wife's then getting the car in your name should not be a problem. I'm surprised to hear you could get a loan with no work permit!

I got a car loan just after getting retirement status. Put 35% down. The loan's in my name, the car's in my wife's name. And she doesn't drive! Go figure...

And no, while I might be wrong, I don't think she'd dump me for a car lol...

So you got a loan in your name. If there is a loan on a vehicle the title book will be held by the loan company and should show the loan company as the legal owner of the vehicle. When the loan has been paid off the loan company will send the book to the Land Transport office to transfer the legal ownership to the new owner which in this case should be you as you paid the vehicle but i guess you could designate anyone's name be on the new page in the Blue book.

Unless I really don't understand the system here if there is a lien on a vehicle the loan company/bank will always hold the title and they will be the listed owner of that vehicle until the lien is paid.

It might be best in the long run to sell it, pay off the loan, and buy another car in your name if you can afford it or use a motor bike until you can afford the car. There are some very good second cars/trucks out there BT300,000 cash it will go in your name, in addition to cash just show passport/visa and vaild driver license and buy the require insurance, you are good to go. Hope things work out for the best with you and the Ms. :D:o