Stopping In Chumpon

Ave

I'm planning to head to Chumpon by train arriving early in the morning, wanting to take a rest until the afternoon before continuing for Ranong the same day. Any recommendations on somewhere safe and comfortable to stay?

I'm told to expect a horrible trip from Chumpon to Ranong. Is it that bad?

I have taken a look at this website http://www.kohchang-ranong.com

It sounds like what the other Koh Chang used to be a long time ago, a paradise. Has anyone got any advice about this area?

Cheers

Hi, A good place to stay is the Chumphon garden hotel.Let me know if you want a phone number ? Very clean and reasonable. Its a few minutes walk from the station and is opposite the Farang bar. The trip over to Ranong is a beautiful trip, especially on a bike. Its only around 110km to Ranong. You can either take the mini bus for around 120 baht or take an organised trip from the farang bar or Fame tours. Chumphon for me is the undiscovered little piece of Thailand. Great beaches, great diving and very nice people.

As for Koh Chang near Ranong it is very beautiful. No roads or 7/11 and if you just want to chill is ideal. A slightly bigger but still very laid back island is Koh Payam. May be going to Chang myself in a week or so to re charge the batteries :o

Thanks so much H2oDunc

I can't wait to get there. If it wasn't for my job I'd be ready to move there just by seeing the pictures and reading your comments..! I'll try to visit the famous Koh Payam too! :o

Hi, A good place to stay is the Chumphon garden hotel.Let me know if you want a phone number ? Very clean and reasonable. Its a few minutes walk from the station and is opposite the Farang bar. The trip over to Ranong is a beautiful trip, especially on a bike. Its only around 110km to Ranong. You can either take the mini bus for around 120 baht or take an organised trip from the farang bar or Fame tours. Chumphon for me is the undiscovered little piece of Thailand. Great beaches, great diving and very nice people.

As for Koh Chang near Ranong it is very beautiful. No roads or 7/11 and if you just want to chill is ideal. A slightly bigger but still very laid back island is Koh Payam. May be going to Chang myself in a week or so to re charge the batteries :D

• 4 weeks later...

The trip over to Ranong is a beautiful trip, especially on a bike. Its only around 110km to Ranong.

Dunc, I like you, you know I do, but you should have added "if you are a maniac."

PS. Rocket the dog is living with us now. Hitler had to be put down a few days ago.

Sorry to hear about Hitler mate, such a lovely dog. Glad to hear rocket is getting looked after. Did puppy ever show up again? Are you still drinking in the farang bar these days ? I heard it had been sold to a farang ? I'm hoping to get over to Chumphon in the next few weeks so will hook up for a beer and catch up on the gossip. Cheers Dunc. Might pop over to Chang for a week myself to re charge the batteries. :o