Looking To Buy Land For A Home In Chiang Mai

trogers

Can anyone give me a guide as to the cost of residential land in Chiang Mai? I am looking for a piece of land of size 300-400 wah2 located between 5-10 km outside the city towards the direction of Chiang Rai.

Thanks.

Can anyone give me a guide as to the cost of residential land in Chiang Mai? I am looking for a piece of land of size 300-400 wah2 located between 5-10 km outside the city towards the direction of Chiang Rai.

Thanks.

Don`t know how much you are prepared to spend, but anything within 10 Km towards the town, you`re looking at 8000 baht plus per wah. 400 wah = 1 rai.

My mother in law lives in Nongprakrang, near Chiang Mai railway station, her land, 8500 baht per wah.

Where I live near Chom Thong, land prices average 2000 baht per wah.

Cost of building a house, 3 bedrooms, 1 storie, 10 metres by 10 metres, approx 1000000 baht for something decent.

I bought land last year a few km north of town, not far from 700 year stadium. The gov't values my land at about 8500 per wah, but the purchase price was much higher. Of course the prices will vary according to the specific location, but I looked at many plots between Chiang Mai & Mae Rim/Mae Jo. Prices were above 10,000 per wah everywhere. And it wasn't just the farang factor - my wife, born and raised in Chiang Mai inquired about prices before we ever went to look at properties. As for building, I agree that 10,000 per square meter is about standard for decent quality construction.

Thanks.

If you are interessted - I have a plot of 1000 wah2 in Doi Sakhet (the way to Chiang-Rai) approx. 12 km out of town easy accessible from two sides by concrete road (10-15 minutes drive to Carrefour).

Moved 350 truckloads of soil to level the land raised part of the land to built - and already built a 2 meter high wall around it and and have been digging a nice approx. 100 wah2 pond in the middle - 4 meters deep.

It is a beautiful plot of 2.5 Rai with two farang neighbours with beautiful houses. Water and electricity conections are right in front and apparently high speed internet connection is available in this area. The plot is a corner plot with concrete road access from two sides The view is beautiful towards mountains to the north and to the south accross rice fields towards Doi Sakhet temple. The whole lot would go for 2.3 million Baht. Take off 600.000

I paid for the wall and 210.000 for the 350 truckloads (600 baht each) of soil the price is 1490 Baht a wah2 - ready to built.

If you are interessted please let me know - my email is [email protected]

Land has a secure chainote title deed.

I can remember back in England that when someone puts the word out they are interested in buying a car, than suddenly everyone has a crap second hand car they wish to sell.

Same here in Thailand pertaining to land. I heard that in Doi Sakhet the water quality is none too good.

Before anyone considers purchasing land here, they should have knowledge of the different grades of land, such as Nor Sor San which is agricultural land up to Cha Neut (not sure if spelt right) that is the red paper with no limitations for building etc.

Also beware of land that has beautiful views with lots of vacant plots next door. This is Thailand and unless the land is classified as strictly residential, someone can come along and build a whacking big factory or warehouse 1 metre away from your plot and there is nothing you can do about it. I know, this happened to me.

Ensure that the owners are the owners and legally entitled to sell the land. Check that there are no loans on the land with the present owners and that there is no legal disputes pertaining to it.

Know the pitfalls about buying real estate in Thailand and don’t trust anyone on their word, otherwise your dream home could turn into a nightmare.

Caution, caution, caution and check everything before parting with any money.

Edited by sassienie

My gratitude to all the tips given.

I am looking for land size of max. 1 rai.

From what is mentioned, cost of residential land is above Bt 8,000/wah in most areas within a 10 km distance north of Chiang Mai. Prices can be higher than Bt 10,000 in some areas and lower than Bt 4,000 in areas with poor infrastructure.

My wife (Thai National) and I (crazy farang) have been looking at land prices in and around Chinagmai for some time now. There are some pockets of land in Hang Dong (10-15 k's south of Muang) you can pick up for around 6000 per talang wah. There is a big price difference between plots of land inside Moo Bans and similar plots outside in the same areas. Western majority Moo Bans go for about 15000 per talang wah.

In my view the trick is to find a piece of land with the following criteria:

. close to the city - within 20 ks;

. near a western moo ban but not inside it;

. far enough from thai neighbours (this may mean you have to buy more land than you need for peace and quiet);

. views - purely a personal thing. I personally would sacrifice views over position - see above;

. the obvious infrastructure availability.

Such land near Mae Rim is harder to find. The horse bolted many years ago there.

There are numerous other comments I could attach to the above and I am happy to answer any questions re. this.

There are 2 other VERY IMPORTANT considerations when buying land in Chiang mai.

1. SELLER

I am in the process of studying the price relationship between direct owners (sellers), real estate agents and the BANKS. At this stage I would say that there are few reasons, if any why one would purchase from the two afore-mentioned sources.

Check out SCB or Krung Thai Bank websites. Ask them to email you a list of properties for sale. If there was ever a good time it is between now and the next 18 months we feel.

2. This is not a factual point but rather one we have observed over the years.

There is something different about Chiang mai people. You have to tread softly softly so as to not ruffle their native feathers. For example, a low offer can work against you. The seller may turn their nose up at a low offer and cut off their nose to spite their face - no deal.

Good luck.