Tot's New 4mb Package

sahprite

I called TOT yesterday to complain about slow international speeds (50-200 kbps on a 2Mb package) and asked if they had any faster packages for home use. I was told that they had started a new promotion last week for 3Mb and free telephone calls within Thailand for 690 Baht and a 4Mb and free Thai calls for 890 Baht.

The chap said if I had my wife's ID card number he could set it all up there and then. Sadly I didn't. I called back later with th enumber and was told "Oh, cannot Sir. You must call local office between ......etc etc"

Time will tell if the international speed will increase with the upgrade or simply slow the system as everyone does the same.

Sorry don't have a bill at hand, but was 590 the old price for the 2mb package before? If so... Does that mean everyone with the old 2mb package gets upgraded to the 3mb package ?

(that's what used to happen in Turkey, I had adsl at 512kb and 2 upgrades later I had 2mb, took 1 year though... lol)

E

I called TOT yesterday to complain about slow international speeds (50-200 kbps on a 2Mb package) and asked if they had any faster packages for home use. I was told that they had started a new promotion last week for 3Mb and free telephone calls within Thailand for 690 Baht

I'd noticed Maxnet have been doing a 3MB for 590 baht promotion round here for a week or so and last time they did this, TOT price-matched pretty quickly.

Looks like this is it then.

Thanks for the info. I'll get upgraded ASAP :-)

Just back from TOT.

New prices but only if you go in and 'change' your contract:

2Mbps 490 Baht

3Mbps 590 Baht

4Mbps 790 Baht

Add 100 Baht and you get free local calls.

You still pay 100 Baht line rental

All plus VAT

If you do nothing you remain on your old (slower and or more expensive) contract.

Just back from TOT.

2Mbps 490 Baht

3Mbps 590 Baht

4Mbps 790 Baht

All plus VAT

If you do nothing you remain on your old (slower and or more expensive) contract.

Does the above service and prices apply to the CyberGold package or is this similar to the cheaper 590 baht package that does not provide good quality international bandwidth?  Maxnet offer the same type packages, Indy for use primarily in Thailand and Premier which provides the best international service.

Pattayadavid

The new price of 490 is for goldcyber, they have introduced platinumcyber (3meg) and diamondcyber (4meg)

The diamondcyber sounds pretty good to me.  You didn't mention upload speeds; did the upload speeds increase also or are they still at a paltry 512k?  I think that TOT is the only provider still offering only 512k upload speeds with their top package.

PattayaDavid

The new price of 490 is for goldcyber, they have introduced platinumcyber (3meg) and diamondcyber (4meg)

The diamondcyber sounds pretty good to me.  You didn't mention upload speeds; did the upload speeds increase also or are they still at a paltry 512k?  I think that TOT is the only provider still offering only 512k upload speeds with their top package.

PattayaDavid

I went into the Pattaya TOT office this morning. Ended up talking to about 5 different ladies there, all of whom had a slightly different understanding of what was on offer.

The speed available depends on where you live. I was (eventually) able to upgrade to 2048/512 from my previous 1024/512, and the price dropped from B1000 a month to B490. The higher speeds aren't available everywhere.

You are entering into a minimum one year contract, the breaking of which will cost B3000. Each of those I spoke to asked about my work permit or asked "how long you stay in Thailand," apparently as some sort of guarantee I wouldn't break the contract, but seemed OK with my assurance I wouldn't run off in the next 12 months.

Supposedly the new speed and new price will kick in tonight by 5:00 PM

Edited by Kaojai

PattayaDavid

I went into the Pattaya TOT office this morning. Ended up talking to about 5 different ladies there, all of whom had a slightly different understanding of what was on offer.

The speed available depends on where you live. I was (eventually) able to upgrade to 2048/512 from my previous 1024/512, and the price dropped from B1000 a month to B490. The higher speeds aren't available everywhere.

You are entering into a minimum one year contract, the breaking of which will cost B3000. Each of those I spoke to asked about my work permit or asked "how long you stay in Thailand," apparently as some sort of guarantee I wouldn't break the contract, but seemed OK with my assurance I wouldn't run off in the next 12 months.

Supposedly the new speed and new price will kick in tonight by 5:00 PM

Where do you live?  I live on the dark side off of Soi Khaw Noi.  Gathering from your post, my guess is that TOT has not increased the upload speeds, only the download speeds in certain areas.  The only thing that makes me hesitant to upgrade is the one-year contract requirement.  I've had TOT service for almost 4 years and have been trying from time to time to acquire a TT&T line.  For the most part, TOT has been mostly reliable if you spread it out over a 4-year period, but I seldom, if ever, receive the actual connection speeds that I am signed up for so I am concerned that if I go into a one-year contract for, lets say, the 4MBPS DiamondCyber package and don't get good service from TOT, I'm stuck at least for another year.

I would like to hear from people who have upgraded and what kind of service they are experiencing after the upgrade.

Pattayadavid

Just back from TOT.

2Mbps 490 Baht

3Mbps 590 Baht

4Mbps 790 Baht

All plus VAT

Does this new package apply in Bangkok?

You are entering into a minimum one year contract, the breaking of which will cost B3000.

I don't disagree, but if you are already in a 12 month contract and want to break it (because of e.g. poor service), it is worth testing that 3000B fee. Yesterday I broke out of a 12 month TOT contract after only 3 months for 1070B - at the Bangsaen office. My connection had been down for 5 days just previously so I had a bit of momentum behind me. They were perfectly reasonable about it. I think a lot of people have been cancelling.

All packages have 512K upload - better than much of the UK with 256K upload!

Not sure where the 3,000 baht for breaking the contract comes from. There is a clause with 1,000 baht penalty to reduce speed over the next 12 months.

I suspect this is a 12 month contract so you must pay 12 times your connection fee. Can't see why people change, personally I have found all ISP's have problems at times but overall things are OK. I get 2 meg most of the day, early evening not so good but it normally works! If I get a bad link switching off the modem for a bit gives me a new link that can be better.

The change is not available everywhere - you have to ask TOT.

Talking about TOT!

I wouldnt touch another one of their internet contracts with a 50 foot barge pole.

If TOT rang me tommorrow and said

"Sir, we will give you a million baht a month to use our internet service"

I would reply, "Go Phark urself, you use ugly little oxygen thief"animated-emoticon-09.gif

Truely one of the most frustrating incompetent organisations I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.animated-emoticon-09.gif

Edited by neverdie

I suspect this is a 12 month contract so you must pay 12 times your connection fee

Do you mean for this new rate you must prepay the entire year at the time of contract?

No, you are agreeing to pay the monthly charge for "12 bill cycles."

The English translation of the contract it states..."In the case the service is cancelled if it is not the fault of TOT services system ..."

So, in theory, if the service is unsatisfactory and cannot be made right, you could get out of the contract.

Where do you live?

I live in the Wat Chai Mongkol ... DayNight Plaza ... Tukcom area

Not sure where the 3,000 baht for breaking the contract comes from. There is a clause with 1,000 baht penalty to reduce speed over the next 12 months.

The lady who finally wrote up the work order, etc. quoted the B 3000 amount. In the contract it does not state an exact baht amount but mentions a liability to be charged for "initial fee hi-speed Internet" and "full installationof fixed line" and something about the promotional discount.

I figure I'm saving B 6000 for the year and, while TOT can be frustrating, there isn't that much better available elsewhere right now. I don't see the potential B3000 charge as a hurdle. I'm sure you can whine your way out of it if the service to too bad.

Edited by Kaojai

PS. If you go into the TOT office to make the change in service, you'll need a photocopy of your passport & current extension of stay stamp or whatever you have that makes your stay in Thailand official.

Edited by Kaojai

We got to the TOT office two days ago and there were flyers about the new tariffs. We upgraded from 2048/512 to 3096/512 for nothing but had to sign to extend our contract. We were given 'new' user name which just replaced 'gold' with 'platinum; and told to change to the new user when our connection dropped. It did, I changed and Thailand ADSL Speedtest reported a download speed of 1MB :-(

I left it a day, checked again, and it was around 2.3MB but I had something downloading in the background. So it has made a difference. Latency is perceptually better sometimes, but Thai sites are definitely quicker to download.

We got to the TOT office two days ago and there were flyers about the new tariffs. We upgraded from 2048/512 to 3096/512 for nothing but had to sign to extend our contract. We were given 'new' user name which just replaced 'gold' with 'platinum; and told to change to the new user when our connection dropped. It did, I changed and Thailand ADSL Speedtest reported a download speed of 1MB :-(

I left it a day, checked again, and it was around 2.3MB but I had something downloading in the background. So it has made a difference. Latency is perceptually better sometimes, but Thai sites are definitely quicker to download.

I was told the change would take place after 5:00 PM. Nothing happened until after midnight (which admittedly is after 5:00 PM). I lost connectivity and had to reinstall the modem using the cd and my "new" user name/password.

I had checked my speeds a few times during the day before I "upgraded." I was averaging 880/410 when I had the 1024/512 service. Since upgrading I've checked a few times and am getting an average of 1220/420 now that I supposedly have 2048/512.

So there has been an improvement, but (so far) nothing approaching the advertised speed. Since my monthly charge has been cut in half and there appears to be about a 50% improvement in download speed, I guess it was worth doing.

I'm sure some of the blame for slow service lies with the super-crappy wiring within my building. It's a step above a taut string connecting two old tin cans. Maybe once the schools re-open there will be better speeds during the day.

Edited by Kaojai

I do not like the speed checkers - they give me VERY varying figures and rarely get up to 1 meg download (I'm not too worried about uploads).

I do a big download, normally Open Office, and see what speed I get for that. I have the 2 meg connection and most of the time I download at up to 2 meg. Early evenings, sort of 5pm to 9pm things do drop, sometimes to 1/2 meg or so.

Doing this download as a torrent gives me the best figure.

went to the tot office here in songkhla city today and asked about new deals

they told me that if i left my current 1000baht deal with 2mbps speed

they would upgrade it to 5 mbps speed next month with no new paper work

so must wait and see :o:D:D

PS. If you go into the TOT office to make the change in service, you'll need a photocopy of your passport & current extension of stay stamp or whatever you have that makes your stay in Thailand official.

You are right : I brought my wife to TOT office and it worked :o

However, before upgrading, you should login to your TOT modem (http://192.168.1.1/ login: admin, pass : tot) and look at those 2 values named "SNR Margin" and "Line Attenuation". In my case, they are to bad to get a speed above 2.5Mbps and upgrading to 4 or 5Mbps would make it worse than a 2Mbps line.

Jackk,

Thanks for that, but can I ask for more info.

SNR Margin and Line Attenuation have an upstream and a downstream figure. What should they be if you want to go for 4mb ? 3mb ?

I take it the higher the values, the better ?

left figure is downstream, right is upstream

SNR Margin (dB): 32.9 26.0 

Attenuation (dB): 28.0 13.5 

Output Power (dBm): 17.1 12.5 

Attainable Rate (Kbps): 11360 1248 

Rate (Kbps): 2048 512 

From what the modem says its POSSIBLE to get 11mb.... haha!

p.s on the Gmesh G-301 this info can be found under Device Info, Statistics, ADSL.

Ernest

You are right : I brought my wife to TOT office and it worked :o

However, before upgrading, you should login to your TOT modem (http://192.168.1.1/ login: admin, pass : tot) and look at those 2 values named "SNR Margin" and "Line Attenuation". In my case, they are to bad to get a speed above 2.5Mbps and upgrading to 4 or 5Mbps would make it worse than a 2Mbps line.

Edited by ernest1966

Jackk,

Thanks for that, but can I ask for more info.

SNR Margin and Line Attenuation have an upstream and a downstream figure. What should they be if you want to go for 4mb ? 3mb ?

I take it the higher the values, the better ?

left figure is downstream, right is upstream

SNR Margin (dB): 32.9 26.0 

Attenuation (dB): 28.0 13.5 

Output Power (dBm): 17.1 12.5 

Attainable Rate (Kbps): 11360 1248 

Rate (Kbps): 2048 512 

From what the modem says its POSSIBLE to get 11mb.... haha!

p.s on the Gmesh G-301 this info can be found under Device Info, Statistics, ADSL.

Ernest

You're mixing ADSL standards. ADSL2 / ADSL2+ is capable of doing these speeds, but the maximum for ADSL (version 1) is 8M down and 1M up.

Example for a 640m line:

ATU-R (DS)					  ATU-C (US)
Modem Status:	Showtime (DMTDSL_SHOWTIME)
DSL Mode:		ITU G.992.1 (G.DMT)
ITU STD NUM:	 0x01							0x01
Vendor ID:	   'ALCB'						  'BDCM'
Vendor Specific: 0x0000						  0x6291
Vendor Country:  0x00							0xB5
Capacity Used:   44%							 88%
Noise Margin:	23.5 dB						 11.0 dB
Output Power:	10.0 dBm						11.5 dBm
Attenuation:	  6.0 dB						  2.5 dB
Defect Status:   None							None						
Last Fail Code:  None
Selftest Result: 0x00
Subfunction:	 0x02
Interrupts:	  646 (1 spurious)
Activations:	 1
Init FW:		 embedded
Operartion FW:   embedded
SW Version:	  3.9.19
FW Version:	  0x1A04

Interleave			 Fast	Interleave			  Fast
Speed (kbps):		  4096				0		   960				 0
Reed-Solomon EC:		  0				0			 0				 0
CRC Errors:			   0				0			 1				 0
Header Errors:			0				0			 1				 0
Bit Errors:			   0				0
BER Valid sec:			0				0
BER Invalid sec:		  0				0

ha, imagine adsl 2 in thailand...

anyway.. so with my stats can i do 3 or 4 mb, would these figures re line db fluctuate because of adverse weather conditions ? or are they pretty static till the line starts to degrade ?

the phone line is new, bout 4 weeks old

Ernest

SNR from the last month. Not exactly stable, but anyway workable. The big differences are due to the fact that the line runs along several powerlines from a private electricity company. Most of the times, the load on those lines is very low, but sometimes (when government electric goes down), the load becomes very high.

My experience is that 960k upload works way better than 1M upload. Tried 8M download as well, but that was not stable enough. With 4M download, no problem at all even when the entire bandwidth is used.

Edited by Prasert

Just back from TOT.

2Mbps 490 Baht

3Mbps 590 Baht

4Mbps 790 Baht

All plus VAT

I have TOT and this is very useful, although I am not sure we can ever get the speed they advertise. I currently pay for 1024/512. Last year, when I checked from a Bangkok server, I wasn't getting anything near this so I called TOT. I got a nice, honest guy who explained that as long as I wanted to use the internet in the busy period, my download and upload speeds will never be what they advertise.

Hence, while I am sure if I pay more they will be better in the evenings, they never will be what I think I am supposed to get based on what is advertised.

I just checked now, on Sunday morning, and down was 860 and up was 380. Tonight it won't be anything like this.