Earth Hour

BOOKEMDANO

This Saturday 8.30pm (local time) Earth hour is asking us to all, switch off our electricity for 1 hour

In 2009, Earth Hour is being taken to the next level, with the goal of 1 billion people switching off their lights as part of a global vote. Unlike any election in history, it is not about what country you’re from, but instead, what planet you’re from. VOTE EARTH is a global call to action for every individual, every business, and every community. A call to stand up and take control over the future of our planet. Over 74 countries and territories have pledged their support to VOTE EARTH during Earth Hour 2009, and this number is growing everyday.

We all have a vote, and every single vote counts. Together we can take control of the future of our planet, for future generations.

VOTE EARTH by simply switching off your lights for one hour, and join the world for Earth Hour.

Good idea. Maybe I'll go for a drive instead.

Seriously though, I don't see how this would make any kind of point.. Obviously you'd want people to reduce how much energy they consume. All my lights are the low energy ones, I manage 17 km/l in my truck and don't use air conditioning almost the entire year. I compost just about anything remotely organic and generally try to respect the environment and nature. Clearly that's the way forward, along with using more renewable energy sources. Turning the lights off for one hour and then going back to turning the aircon and everythign else on again is a bit silly.

Then again there's no Premier League this Saturday so they did pick a good day for it. :o

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I guess they mean 8:30pm (20:30) local wherever you are so it will be like a rolling blackout around the Earth. Well 8:30pm Saturday night my lights will be off because I'll be in Woodstock bar :o . I suppose I could ask them to switch off the lights and the band but I don't hold out too much hope.

Like many of these wonderful "eco" events it's all very well everyone switching off for an hour as a symbolic show of good intent but it is our LONG TERM actions that make a difference. The one hour drop in demand will not even be enough time for the power stations to respond so the "saving" from this event alone is questionable and negligible. What needs to be done is for everyone to turn down their a/c, turn off lights in unoccupied rooms etc all day, every day. People need to stop driving a few hundred metres to the shops and WALK instead.

In short our whole lifestyle has to change, talk is cheap and changes nothing. Only real action can change anything but unfortunately that often results in a little discomfort. But therein lies the rub, everybody wants to be comfortable, make the self gratifying grand gestures and then return right back to normal. Somebody else can make the real sacrifices, we'll do our bit tomorrow.

Still, given the normal level of lighting in Woodstock bar many people wouldn't notice if they were turned off save, maybe, the pool players.

As previous posters mentioned, this event has no real practical benefit and it's mainly symbolical, but at the same time, if it brings environmental awareness to just a few people, and then those few people make steady meaningful practical lifestyle changes, that makes a difference. Change will happen one person at a time and everyone counts.

Very true and the added bonus for this Saturday night is just what can you do in the dark with your wife/partner for an hour?

To hel_l with an hour, let's make it three! :o

Or how 'bout 15 minutes and then the other 45 to regain my "power".. :D

Very true and the added bonus for this Saturday night is just what can you do in the dark with your wife/partner for an hour?

To hel_l with an hour, let's make it three! :o

Now, that's a very practical application of a largely symbolical measure, humans are always known to adapt and make the best of every situation :D