Gay Korat

kamahele

My partner and I are moving to Korat this summer and I was hoping that there were some kind of gay life in the city. While I know that Isaan tends to be on the conservative, and closeted side, I still thought there might be a bar or pub where we can hang out with other gay men and lesbians. He is from the area originally and we visited last year but didn't see or hear of anything remotely "gay" other than the local cruising spots which we are not interested in.

Good luck.

I would try local discos etc. There is normally a quite large amount of gay people. Maybe they are much more reserved and do not talk English, I'm afraid. Conservative? Don't know about that. Never met any Thai that would have problem with conservatism. They may not like to show naked bodies or have sex in public but that doesn't necessarily count as being conservative.

Going off from Bangkok or Pattaya or tourist spots means giving up gay spots. They may have a gay massage or similar but otherwise you need to find something else to do. Just wonder why you intend to move there if you are such interested having 'gay life'? It simply doesn't exist in the sense as in big farang occupied cities.

Having said this, I still enjoy my life in Esaan. Much more than I did in Bangkok.

My partner and I are moving to Korat this summer and I was hoping that there were some kind of gay life in the city. While I know that Isaan tends to be on the conservative, and closeted side, I still thought there might be a bar or pub where we can hang out with other gay men and lesbians. He is from the area originally and we visited last year but didn't see or hear of anything remotely "gay" other than the local cruising spots which we are not interested in.

I traveled through there and stayed for one night in November in a hotel called V-One. I am sure that every male staff member that I saw was gay. Friendly as well. They have a lobby lounge bar where there was a singer with a guitar in the evening. I would definitely go there for a drink again.

I staid in Khorat last November and was disappointed to see that the only gay bar I was aware of was closed on the night I was there. It was called Buddy Boys on a small soi near the railway area (at the end of an alley among private houses) ; this is a host bar with some boys and has a nice atmosphere - but it perhaps belongs to the 'local cruising spot' category.

I could not determine whether the bar was closed for good or only for some days, and had to leave on the following day. Does anyone have more information ?

In Pailin Square (west of town near Sima Thani hotel but on the east side of the high road), there is an all-male disco called Khorat 69 which looks more oriented to the youger crowd - although the doormen urged this lonely (not too) old farang to enter the place - which I did not.

Thanks for all of your help. We'll check out these places this summer when we move back to town. We're not looking for the big city night life, just a place to hang out for a beer or go dancing once in awhile. We currently live in Honolulu which is a small city so we're used to the quiet life. I also expect most of our free time will be spent entertaining his family as well. Another reason to need a night out once in a while. :o