Drivers In This Fine Land Don't Indicate Because...

2long

They don't indicate because...  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Simple enough.

Choose why the drivers here in Thailand (I didn't say Thai drivers and am therefore not 'Thai bashing') choose to NOT indicate (use their turn signals) when changing lanes on a dual or multi -lane road or when turning left.

Comments in the form of posts will keep this thread high up and prominent, but what I'm really after is votes.

Well I've been behind Thais that indicate, Thais that don't indicate and Thais that anti-indicate.

<deleted> is anti-indicate you may ask. Well consider the following:-

I'm driving down south road towards dolphin roundabout heading for BigC. I am approaching the road that runs behind BigC (can't remember it's name) so I want to turn left but come up behind a motorbike who starts to indicate right. Okay no problem I tuck in behind him intending to turn left once he clears the junction. So he turns left. <deleted>? I follow him round the corner and down the road and now I am approaching where I want to turn right. Super rider ahead starts to indicate left so I think okay I'll pass you and make my turn. Then the sixth sense cuts in and I hold back. Sure enough Max Boneheddi turns right across my path.

So what was he up to? Three possibilities:-

1. He is a raving nutter : Very possible. :D

2. He's had his bike repaired by his mate for 50 Baht who's connected the indicators ar5e about face : Also very possible. :o

3. He's not indicating to tell me where he is going but to tell me where I should go : Somehow I can see how this makes perfect logical sense and I realise I've been in Thailand way too long. :D

Another example of Thai indicator logic.

I'm driving down through Ao Udom and I am behind one of those asphalt tankers. He starts to indicate left so I drift right to get a sight down the road and see if I can pass him. He then indictes right so I, thinking maybe he made a mistake, drift left ready to slip past when he makes his turn. So he then indicates left and I get the message and back right off while he proceeds indicating left, right, left, right, left and then swings out right and makes a tight left turn into a narrow soi. Perfectly logical, he was telling me he wanted to turn left but had to swing out right to make it.

Thais have a certain logic to the use of indicators and currently CERN have two Cray II supercomputers connected in parallel trying to work it out. Don't hold your breath for the answer. :D

Phil love this bit.............................

'Thais have a certain logic to the use of indicators and currently CERN have two Cray II supercomputers connected in parallel trying to work it out. Don't hold your breath for the answer.'

:o:D :D :D :D :wai::P :jerk: so true

Edited by thaicbr

Of course the Thais indicate, they turn left or right or stop and that is all the indication needed.

Who needs flashing lights, they cost money to run and the Thais have never got the hang of them.

QED :o

It is common knowledge in the UK that Mercedes drivers have no idea there cars are fitted with indicators, but here it appears that many other makes the driver have not been shown that there car have them.... There again most Mercedes drivers here appear to use them.

I find if you indicate to change lanes, the car in the lane you are trying to go into will speed up if he's behind you, to block you...

Far easier and safer to suprise him... he's more used to that.

And what is the Thai telling you, if he is turning on the hazard lights? Very easy: He will not turn left, he will not turn right, he wants to show he did NOT forget to turn on the indicator, he is going STRAIGHT AHEAD! Thais would love to have a center indicator :o

Well I've been behind Thais that indicate, Thais that don't indicate and Thais that anti-indicate.

<deleted> is anti-indicate you may ask. Well consider the following:-

I'm driving down south road towards dolphin roundabout heading for BigC. I am approaching the road that runs behind BigC (can't remember it's name) so I want to turn left but come up behind a motorbike who starts to indicate right. Okay no problem I tuck in behind him intending to turn left once he clears the junction. So he turns left. <deleted>? I follow him round the corner and down the road and now I am approaching where I want to turn right. Super rider ahead starts to indicate left so I think okay I'll pass you and make my turn. Then the sixth sense cuts in and I hold back. Sure enough Max Boneheddi turns right across my path.

So what was he up to? Three possibilities:-

1. He is a raving nutter : Very possible. :D

2. He's had his bike repaired by his mate for 50 Baht who's connected the indicators ar5e about face : Also very possible. :o

3. He's not indicating to tell me where he is going but to tell me where I should go : Somehow I can see how this makes perfect logical sense and I realise I've been in Thailand way too long. :D

Another example of Thai indicator logic.

I'm driving down through Ao Udom and I am behind one of those asphalt tankers. He starts to indicate left so I drift right to get a sight down the road and see if I can pass him. He then indictes right so I, thinking maybe he made a mistake, drift left ready to slip past when he makes his turn. So he then indicates left and I get the message and back right off while he proceeds indicating left, right, left, right, left and then swings out right and makes a tight left turn into a narrow soi. Perfectly logical, he was telling me he wanted to turn left but had to swing out right to make it.

Thais have a certain logic to the use of indicators and currently CERN have two Cray II supercomputers connected in parallel trying to work it out. Don't hold your breath for the answer. :D

Only two, how fast do they work, endless possibilities of indecision here. Just simply mind reading without using the subtle ques, such as indicators, works very well.

How do you know they are Thai drivers? Do you stop them and ask for their identity card?

Your reading skills leave a lot to be desired. Try reading the OP again 500 times SLOWLY.

I don't know why they don't remove all their tailight bulbs to "save electric". Brake lights? who needs em?

" They don't want to make a commitment, if they signal than they have to turn. If they just straddle the white line they can change their mind up to the last second. "

I agree. However, I reckon that Bangkok drivers are not as bad as drivers in Singapore & Malaysia when it comes to use of indicators. In Bangkok I still see quite a few drivers using their indicators whereas in SG/MY it is a very rare occurence indeed. At least here in BKK, when you want to change lanes and indicate first, a few drivers are courteous enough to let you in. In SG/MY, they would speed up to ensure you can't get ahead of them.

Edited by mark5335

I think I've found out the secret to their indicating - if they indicate left, they will either turn left, turn right, go straight ahead, or stop. If they indicate right...see above. If they don't indicate at all, it's quite possible a U-turn is coming up.

I find if you indicate to change lanes, the car in the lane you are trying to go into will speed up if he's behind you, to block you...

Far easier and safer to suprise him... he's more used to that.

Sure,happened to me once again when indicating to make a u-turn.However I can assure you that he will think twice the next time.

Hi.

Happens to me EVERY TIME i want to change a lane with the truck/car. Indicate - no chance to ever get into that other lane, me indicating really only signals "them" (drivers in that lane) to "speed up and make sure he doesn't get in front of you".

So sadly, i do it too - if i want to change a lane i wait for a gap which is about large enough for a D-Max and slip in there without any indicating - and it works flawlessly.

However changing directions (turning left/right) i indicate ALWAYS. Truck and bike (with the bike i don't bother for lane changes as i change lanes 60 times per minute, snaking around traffic jams). But i do NOT participate in the "hazards for straight" nonsense - even though i do remember such a question being in the test for a Thai driving license (my boyfriend had to do the test) but i can't remember if "use the hazard lights if you go straight" was right or wrong :o Anyway i outfitted my bike with hazards, too, so i have them if i want to :D

Kind regards.....

Thanh

I suggest OP will take a trip and drive in any other SE Asian countries and then reconsider these why thai drivers threads.

Start from Sri Lanka, Cambodia, Indonesia, Philippines.

You soon find out that Thais are one of the best drivers around asia what comes to following rules, using indicators etc etc. Japan and Singapore are there in the top and Malaysia in bar with Thailand IMO but the rest are much worse.

Choose why the drivers here in Thailand (I didn't say Thai drivers and am therefore not 'Thai bashing') choose to NOT indicate (use their turn signals) when changing lanes on a dual or multi -lane road or when turning left.

Comments in the form of posts will keep this thread high up and prominent, but what I'm really after is votes.

They drive the same as most of the rest of the world.

GO to most countries in Asia, Eastern Europe & parts of Western Europe.

SAME SAME

What happens when the elevator doors open in Thaland and you try to step out? You get trampled by those trying to get in. I think turn signals are the same deal. There seems to be a lack of awareness or concern in many cases for others that happen to be in the vicinity.