Pig & Whistle Daily Specials

Jingthing

Bargains are always good especially in hard times. The Pig & Whistle doesn't list their daily specials on their website, so if you know which days, which specials, please post. They also have a drink special going, 140 for a Guinness pint but I am not clear if this is hours restricted.

So, far I know:

MONDAY

TUESDAY

WEDNESDAY - Beef Stew

THURSDAY

FRIDAY - Fish and Chips with mushy/garden peas and tartar sauce

BTW, what is up with the Fish and Chips there? Sometimes the fish is excellent, other times disgusting? The chips are just OK at best. The mushy peas are always very good though. I know its weird, a Yank who likes mushy peas, I didn't even know what they were before I moved to Pattaya.

Edited by Jingthing

rosie o gradys next door is better i think.similar styles but better quality

I didn't care for their F&C.

Was there something unclear about the title of this thread?

Anyone have any info on what I asked about PIG & WHISTLE?

Edited by Jingthing

Is 140 for a pint of Guinness cheap?

I am quite taken with that new cider they sell there though :o

And never noticed much variation in the quality of the F&C in there, though i have only frequented it a few times

A friend i was with could heartily recommend the 1/2 chicken and chips there too

Penkoprod

Stopped going to the P+W when they went to frozen fries instead of real chips.

I agree their chips are not very good but not all of their dishes come with chips.

Maybe somebody knows an owner and can tell him about this thread so he can list the daily specials on their website and/or post them here?

Edited by Jingthing

another two are wiltshire gammon which is very good, and cottage pie which was awful,i cant remember which days, if you dont like the chips get mash, also i found the batter too thick on the fish so got it with bread crumbs.

BTW, what is up with the Fish and Chips there? Sometimes the fish is excellent, other times disgusting? The chips are just OK at best. The mushy peas are always very good though. I know its weird, a Yank who likes mushy peas, I didn't even know what they were before I moved to Pattaya.

When I was a boy they used to sell mushy peas on their own sprinkled with mint sauce in our local market.

I made to the P&W last night. I asked some of the staff about a list of their daily specials and just drew blank stares and i gave up lol.

All I can say is their Saturday special is Bangers, as an american i have to idea what that is lol.

Decent enough place, it was like stepping out of thailand and into england. Didnt eat as i was in "hunt" mode.

----------------

Mai mee farang..

I did the full tour of duty, soi 7, 8 then 6 then hit soi walking at about 1am. I actually hitched a motocy ride with a mint girl

to soi walking from soi 6 and it was a wonderful ride as we blasted down beach road, her hair in my face, the smell of her

radiating through my nostrils, my hands around her waist and me clamped on like a magnet, a defining moment of why i live here.

I almost considered giving her 500 baht to ride me around like that for awhile :o so sweet

Well Soi 6,7,8 were DEAD for a sat. night. Soi walking had people though.

I talked to various thai people all saying its getting bad and they are worried. They even seemed a bit edgy.

I noticed certain "prices" have suddenly become negotiable it seems.. Thais are feeling the pinch

Edited by SoiGirlHunter

Yes Jing the blackboard said bangers and mash, is it any good?

I am going back and eat there and get the scoop

Heading over to soi walking tonite

Sure its good if the sausages are good and the mash is good. I think it usually comes with some kind of gravy but I am not British so I getting uncomfortable now passing myself as an expert on this quaint island cuisine. It being Sunday there is probably some kind of roast beef with Yorkshire pudding as the special. Filling in the blanks now.

Edited by Jingthing

I tend to stay there sometimes when in the area and eat their food as a western treat !

On Sunday, roast beef and the rest is discounted from a usual Bt215/225 to Bt180 or so. They need to sort out their Yorkshire puddings though.

Another couple of specials are the sausage sizzle with 2/3 bangers and the rest, liver and bacon is another.

I guess they drop the prices Bt20/40 for the special.

The overwhelming bargain at the P&W is undoubtedly the cottage pie. Topped with cheese, it is an inch thick and about a foot long oval. Way to much even for the hungry ones and with a good pot of gravy it is a great deal at Bt185.

Water at Bt20 is fair as well.

Sounds good Terra, i need to eat there, if my wife hands me another plate of rice with a bony fish on top you might

be seeing me in the "News" section :o

Absolutely awesome night last night on soi walking, check out the bar opposite of Baby Dolls, cant remember name

but that place is INSANE and WAY WAY too much fun! My brain is still trying to sort what happened there :D

Edited by SoiGirlHunter

yes cp was awful, very greasey.I prefer p&w to rosies next door basically because of the better service however the yorkshire puddings are better at rosies and another special they do is pork, the pork at the p&w is thin sliced as opposed to proper pork cuts at rosies.

As i said before wiltshire gammon is excellant

must agree,chips no good if not real and my son left his fish ,which is something as he usually eats everything put in front of him ,and the wife had some sort of brisket which she said was disgusting ,my liver and bacon was ok though.

I agree with Paul1970 regarding the chips and have dramatically reduced my visits to the P & W since they stopped doing the real chips, I have had the frozen ones in there on a couple of occasions and found them to be awful, not just because they were not the 'real deal' but they just weren't cooked properly.

Haven't been for over a month, but Saturday's used to be a Steak on as a special, not Bangers and Mash??

Personally find the seating a little uncomfortable in there also, the tables just do not go with the benches, making for cramped eating.

I do actually know a guy that is extremely good mates with Bob the owner, so I'll pass on for him to check this thread out.

Regarding the fish of the fish and chips, sometimes it is very good and sometimes it is nightmare of grease. I think there really may be some problems in the kitchen. The owner should indeed take some action to bring things back to a better more consistent standard.

Just following on.

I spent a few days there this month and chatted with the staff and management a few times. One dish I had was 3 lamb chops with potatoes and veg. At Bt395 it is about £8 and whilst tasty for sure, it is not what Pattaya is about. At Bt70 to the quid, I bet not many went for it as it would have been £5.50 or so but at 50% more now, they have to think again.

Compared to the UK (I am somewhat guessing here) but I bet you can get a decent breakfast for less than Bt200 / £4 and a roast dinner for a fiver which is less than many places in Pattaya now.

I like the Pig. I think they should have some new dishes sometimes though. Always dependable but perhaps even I will admit to them dropping some clangers of late and with prices as they are, cutting corners on quality is not the way to go. Already a severe premium to Thai food, they need to retain customers.

After my wife fell asleep i went over to soi 8 and picked up a new found friend lol and went over to soi walking

i ate at the italian restaurant about ~100m in from the sign. I had the rib-eye steak and damm it was pretty good, i even ate

the fatty sections it was so tasty, for a side i just got potatoes and it was excellent.

The reason i am posting this is also I got a big bowl of tum yung koon and it was the best i ever had in thailand. I didnt expect

this coming from an italian restaurant. Cant remember prices exactly.

Cops came in soi walking and shut down everything early, ALOT of angry tourists

Interesting thing here, i took the exceptional looking friend with me to 3 of my usual gogos and none of the usual suspects came near me

begging for a drink, it was like i had the plague or something lol, saved alot of $$ though lol

sun is up, i better climb back into my coffin

Edited by SoiGirlHunter

I think the best meal at P&W is the full english breakfast.

The specials arn't bad either, but in general I find their evening meals tend on the expensive side.

Same menu all day except for specials which are also on the main menu but reduced in price on that day.

Obviously as the £ had gone down the toilet, the UK guys are facing much higher prices in real terms although I don't think the P&W has raised prices in the last few years.

But with averages around the Bt250 or £5 mark, I understand the attraction of the Bt30 fried rice or even Bt90 restaurant Thai dish.

I agree their chips are not very good but not all of their dishes come with chips.

Maybe somebody knows an owner and can tell him about this thread so he can list the daily specials on their website and/or post them here?

I always enjoyed the pig and whistle. Been going there for five years now. Most comfortable soft seats around. A fine dining atmosphere. Food was always OK. However, since one of the owners died, Graham, the big guy, things seem a bit off. Maybe I am just too used to the place and need something new. But I still go there a few times a week and eat and do my sudoku puzzle. Fish and Chip I think somebody said is sometimes now a local fish and not always the icelandic cod they used to advertise. That would be a shame. Full english breakfast is still disgusting and should be eaten a few times on every trip! Penang Moo is good, but not on the special list. Bangers and Mash are worth a go also.