Cdma Near Khon Kaen?

wtk

I am using novatel's usb-cdma in Phuket as a backup sometimes. My gf would like to know if she could use it in her home near Chum Phae which is like 30km from Khon Kaen

Any experiences or knowledge is appreaciated.

J

I am using novatel's usb-cdma in Phuket as a backup sometimes. My gf would like to know if she could use it in her home near Chum Phae which is like 30km from Khon Kaen

J

I assume you are talking about a USB CDMA wireless modem for internet access, as a backup in case your land line service is down. Are you looking for wireless internet services in general, or do you just want to re-use the same wireless modem that you use in Phuket? What service does it use?

I don't have any first-hand experience with this, but this coverage map for CAT CDMA network might help (if you are using CAT CDMA service). Click the northeastern region on the map, and then mouse over Khon Kaen (about midway up the east side, listed in Thai as ขอนแก่น). This will list the covered areas in Khon Kaen. I don't see Chum Phae on the list, but not all of the areas are amphurs. Some are stores like Tesco Khon Kaen and Kong Thong Mansion in Sawathi, amphur meuang (probably an apartment complex or condos). Have your girlfriend look at it and see if there is coverage. If not, maybe it is close enough to another area that is covered. I see that most of the neighboring amphurs are covered (even in Chaiyaphum Province, which Chum Phae borders).

It should work as long as there's a CAT tower within range. From my experience the coverage is excellent everywhere in Isaan except in some mountainous areas and perhaps in some very remote rural areas that I've never been too. While riding in the car from Roi Et to Khon Kaen and from Khon Kaen to Korat there are no drops in service. The only way to really find out is to let her take it home.

Dan

J

I assume you are talking about a USB CDMA wireless modem for internet access, as a backup in case your land line service is down. Are you looking for wireless internet services in general, or do you just want to re-use the same wireless modem that you use in Phuket? What service does it use?

I don't have any first-hand experience with this, but this coverage map for CAT CDMA network might help (if you are using CAT CDMA service). Click the northeastern region on the map, and then mouse over Khon Kaen (about midway up the east side, listed in Thai as ขอนแก่น). This will list the covered areas in Khon Kaen. I don't see Chum Phae on the list, but not all of the areas are amphurs. Some are stores like Tesco Khon Kaen and Kong Thong Mansion in Sawathi, amphur meuang (probably an apartment complex or condos). Have your girlfriend look at it and see if there is coverage. If not, maybe it is close enough to another area that is covered. I see that most of the neighboring amphurs are covered (even in Chaiyaphum Province, which Chum Phae borders).

Thanks for the answer. Sorry for not being clear with my question. I just got the card a while back and dont know much about it so didnt really know how to ask.

All I know is that I have a usb stick "Novatel Ovation MC727" that I use in Phuket and yes, I want to use the same stick in Chum Phae

It should work as long as there's a CAT tower within range. From my experience the coverage is excellent everywhere in Isaan except in some mountainous areas and perhaps in some very remote rural areas that I've never been too. While riding in the car from Roi Et to Khon Kaen and from Khon Kaen to Korat there are no drops in service. The only way to really find out is to let her take it home.

Dan

Thanks for the answer. We will try and let you guys know how it works.

J

Don't know about cdma but if you meant Chum Pae west of Khon Kaen I would not like to be dragged by the family jewels for those few kilometers over the 30. Last time I read the sign just near the KK Uni it had 80km on it.

สค.ชุมแพ Is the3rd one down on the left list. The list is not too easy to read.

ชุมแพ Is Chum Phae

สค. I'm not sure what this means, will have to ask the missus later...

(Edit)...I've asked the Missus and she has no idea what it means

Thanks Oevna for the link. It looks quite possible that I can get CDMA in my area North of Khon Kaen. I really must look into it and see about dumping this Ipstar connection.

Edited by loong

สค.ชุมแพ Is the3rd one down on the left list. The list is not too easy to read.

ชุมแพ Is Chum Phae

สค. I'm not sure what this means, will have to ask the missus later...

(Edit)...I've asked the Missus and she has no idea what it means

Thanks Oevna for the link. It looks quite possible that I can get CDMA in my area North of Khon Kaen. I really must look into it and see about dumping this Ipstar connection.

Ah, you are right. I was only scanning down the left column looking for words that start with "ชุม..." as my Thai reading is not that fast (I skipped right over "สค. ..."). Your wife will probably know what it means. Good luck.

EDIT -- Didn't notice your edit... Maybe "สค." is one of the administrative subdivision designations, like thetsabaan meuang or sukhaaphibaan. In any case, the fact that Chumphae is listed at all probably means that the OP is in luck and will be able to use his CDMA wireless modem.

Edited by oevna

Oevna,

I missed it with my first scan as well,.

OP, apparently, although it does seem that CAT has almost full coverage in Isaan, not everywhere has a good signal. If out of town, it may be necessary to have an external antenna fitted to boost the signal.

In another thread a poster has recently enquired about getting the service in Kalasin. The engineers have told him that they are confident that he can get the signal, but will need an antenna. Total cost is about 13,000 Baht, but I imagine that includes the modem, and you already have that. They will also check the signal before you commit to having an antenna installed

J

Don't know about cdma but if you meant Chum Pae west of Khon Kaen I would not like to be dragged by the family jewels for those few kilometers over the 30. Last time I read the sign just near the KK Uni it had 80km on it.

Yea I am sure you are right. I dont know where I got that 30km from

Oevna,

I missed it with my first scan as well,.

OP, apparently, although it does seem that CAT has almost full coverage in Isaan, not everywhere has a good signal. If out of town, it may be necessary to have an external antenna fitted to boost the signal.

In another thread a poster has recently enquired about getting the service in Kalasin. The engineers have told him that they are confident that he can get the signal, but will need an antenna. Total cost is about 13,000 Baht, but I imagine that includes the modem, and you already have that. They will also check the signal before you commit to having an antenna installed

ok, thanks for the info. I guess we will have to try and see how it works.