Ultralight Flight Ops In Doi Saket

JimGant

I live fairly close to the usual flight routes of the ultralights near Doi Saket. However, for the last month or so, I haven't seen or heard any flights. Yes, the visibility has been crummy for photo shoots -- but certainly not near minimums for visual flight operations.

Are they still in business?

I live fairly close to the usual flight routes of the ultralights near Doi Saket. However, for the last month or so, I haven't seen or heard any flights. Yes, the visibility has been crummy for photo shoots -- but certainly not near minimums for visual flight operations.

Are they still in business?

I've observed several overflights of our area just east of Mae Rim along Hwy 1260 and these were powered paragliders...they originated from some point south of Mae Rim and tend to make a 90 degree turn to the east at Mae Rim...roughly over the Green Valley Country Club...where they fly on in an easterly direction from there. Not sure of they head all the way over to Doi Saket or not. I always wondered who these pilots were, until one day we saw them landing at the RTA Special Forces Command base along Hwy 107 south of Mae Rim. If you are seeing fixed wing ultralights, then they are a different matter and I rarely see them in our area any more.

As for complying with VFR, I doubt they are required to do so...especially given that TIT and they are operating in uncontrolled airspace (to my knowledge anyway). If they are Royal Thai military pilots, then I am doubly sure the usual Thai VFR requirements are not applicable.

Edited by Fore Man