10+ Year Old Bigbikes Not Registerable?

I am selling my CBR400R, and someone interested in buying it told me that a guy at Asia Bikes in Bangkok told him that the Thai goverment wants to get rid of all 10+ year old big bikes and thus is no longer allowing registration of them. This was interesting to me because when I went to register my bike when I bought it I was told it was going to cost me 14k baht even though I had the book from the previous owner and the signed transfer documents. Anyone hear anything like this?

I am selling my CBR400R, and someone interested in buying it told me that a guy at Asia Bikes in Bangkok told him that the Thai goverment wants to get rid of all 10+ year old big bikes and thus is no longer allowing registration of them. This was interesting to me because when I went to register my bike when I bought it I was told it was going to cost me 14k baht even though I had the book from the previous owner and the signed transfer documents. Anyone hear anything like this?

I have not heard anything about this, but in the land where the illogical is normal I can believe it's a possibility.

I bought a beach buggy, al the papers seemed in order, but no....the previous owners visa had expired, so what you may think, well I had to fix that problem with a 20,000B backhander. My visa completely in order, why should it be my problem? So beware.

I have a couple of Mr Fixits, I need them as my vehicles are always of the unusual nature. I will try to help. Just send me a mail at <snip> that way I won't forget.

Edited by soundman
No Email addresses as per Forum Rules. PM member.

You completely correct, currently, the Thai police are even sponsored by Yamaha, part of a contract the signed recently that the Thai Police would get more serious about unofficial motorcycles in Thailand. Not forgetting that Honda is blowing air about this as long as I'm in Thailand, and recently Kawasaki started joining the club.

You completely correct, currently, the Thai police are even sponsored by Yamaha, part of a contract the signed recently that the Thai Police would get more serious about unofficial motorcycles in Thailand. Not forgetting that Honda is blowing air about this as long as I'm in Thailand, and recently Kawasaki started joining the club.

Blowing air about what though? Bikes with dodgy books? Or legal bikes that are 10+ years old?

This sounds crazy. I had to grease a few palms to get my bike registered quickly (otherwise it'd take eons to get done) for 3k baht.

Does this Asia Bikes guy have a vested interest in new bikes or something?

I've not heard of this.

My bikes nearly 20 years old. If I can't sell it I'll store it or bury it somewhere :D

The way shts going down nothing is suprising me these days in Thailand :o

Sounds odd, but then again, TiT :o

You'll recall a few years ago when they imposed a 10 year rule on taxis in the Kingdom- well that was a decision I completely agreed with even though I'm sure it created a great hardship for some taxi drivers.

Now they're doing the same thing with buses- again, I think it's great.

But, applying an "age limit" rule to personal vehicles? What about vintage, classic and antique cars and bikes? There are a lot of wealthy and influential Thais that collect classic cars and bikes.

Actually- if it's only a restriction against REGISTERING older vehicles, well, shouldn't those vehicles already be registered?

So, say someone wants to import a vehicle to the Kingdom that is over 10 years old... I'm sure there is a way around this new rule (if it actually exists).

Would help if someone could actually post the law or policy decision. Without that, this is all just based on rumor and hearsay...

Happy Trails!

Tony

I bought a beach buggy, al the papers seemed in order, but no....the previous owners visa had expired, so what you may think, well I had to fix that problem with a 20,000B backhander. My visa completely in order, why should it be my problem? So beware.

I had a buggy back in the UK when I was a kid.. When I came here I nearly bought one and about 2 years ago I was offered another.. The other one was really special for the money porsche engine and a good build..

Turns out even tho it had a green book, the book was based (as you would expect) on a VW beetle chassis and the local DMV said its no longer a beetle and it needs a pass from the soc of engineers in bangkok etc.. The guy basically owns a boat anchor now and can never sell it.

As to a sale with a old visa.. yes thats 100% the case and even if the entry stamp to thailand is out of date they wont move it. So somone could sign the forms on a friday night, do a visa run on sat morning, and you couldnt change name on monday !!

When you say 'to register' do you mean to change name.. or to get a new book and plate ??

I had a hellish time but only last month finally (took 3 months, delay unrelated to age) had a name change done on my 94 or 95 bike.. In the worst DMV in the country that I know of.

This does sound odd.. If the bike has a legal book and plate (and in some provinces is in standard trim and fettle, AND has its page 18 customs and excise records) then it should move name. However bitter recent experience has shown me that you cannot simply sign the forms and pay the seller on the assumption that the book will mean its legal. They have fuc_ked thier own system up so badly even the DMV doesnt know the rules that they implement from one day to another.

Reading this again.. That fee sounds very much like the amount i was told to make the changes in a forged book. The forged book goes back to the forger (not the DMV) and has a new name printed in.. I was quoted 20k and 10k per name change for this kind of book.

Did you go and register the bike yourself ?? Did the DMV put your name in it ??

Who did you buy from ?? does the book look right (stamps, color matches, etc etc)..

Again I havent heard of any age related transfer restrictions and the amount of Thais that own >10 year old vehicles means I cannot believe its a real law, possibly some strange local interpretation tho.

Reading this again.. That fee sounds very much like the amount i was told to make the changes in a forged book. The forged book goes back to the forger (not the DMV) and has a new name printed in.. I was quoted 20k and 10k per name change for this kind of book.

Who did you buy from ?? does the book look right (stamps, color matches, etc etc)..

Again I havent heard of any age related transfer restrictions and the amount of Thais that own >10 year old vehicles means I cannot believe its a real law, possibly some strange local interpretation tho.

I also am thinking now that it is a forged book. Sorry I can't tell you whether the book "looks right." No idea how to tell, although the fact that it is a 16 year old bike and the book has one name in it makes me a little suspicious. I bought it from Asiatradingonline.com, or at least I thought I did, they told me later when I had many problems that I had bought it from a falang employee.

I will have someone fluent in Thai and English ask the helper guy what he was told exactly when they told him 14k baht.

Edited by Scubabuddha

If you were down here I have a mate who can can have it checked out by the DMV..

Only having one name isnt a huge issue.. you can get a fresh book when one is full.. Theres reasons why that might happen.. Do you have an annual tax sticker ?? Did you get it from the DMV yourself ?? I used to think the tax sticker was proof the bike was in the system, but having seen one issued 'while you wait' instantly the other day I am now less convinced they are not just going off the book.

The frame numbers look like original stamps ?? The frame is still totally round and not flat spotted indicating a file down and restamp ??

If your really feeling concerned.. Do you not a Thai police 'friend' you can recompense for his time ?? Needs to be someone who will back you up tho and not become the shops friend due to Thai on Thai.

Sadly this just seems to me to be the hard reality of the second hand bike market.. I have said all along that simply having a book, doesnt mean your covered.

When I first moved here six years ago, I used to rent a Suzuki GS400 that was very close to the GS500E I had just sold in Texas. Of course it was a rental, abused and neglected, no plate, etc. The guy offered it to me for 30K and might have taken less. I declined because I wanted a new bike, and bought my first CBR150. Later had a chance at a NSR150 for about 12K and rejected it also. I have no luck with used bikes, ever. You do not know where the old ones have been, how they were maintained, crashed, etc. And then there are the problems of registering, insuring, and reselling....no thanks.

When I first moved here six years ago, I used to rent a Suzuki GS400 that was very close to the GS500E I had just sold in Texas. Of course it was a rental, abused and neglected, no plate, etc. The guy offered it to me for 30K and might have taken less. I declined because I wanted a new bike, and bought my first CBR150. Later had a chance at a NSR150 for about 12K and rejected it also. I have no luck with used bikes, ever. You do not know where the old ones have been, how they were maintained, crashed, etc. And then there are the problems of registering, insuring, and reselling....no thanks.

Yes but its what you get isnt it..

I know of a ZX10 streetfighter.. all tidy and runs.. with green book.. cost less than that CBR150 or a tiger.. I mean a tiger or a liter bike ??

My 900 blade. With a nut and bolt rebuild, new bits all over, new tyres, everything worn replaced.. Also at a price that mortals can buy.

Risk reward is the issue.. You simply cannot assume that a book = legal..

I had a buggy back in the UK when I was a kid.. When I came here I nearly bought one and about 2 years ago I was offered another.. The other one was really special for the money porsche engine and a good build..

Turns out even tho it had a green book, the book was based (as you would expect) on a VW beetle chassis and the local DMV said its no longer a beetle and it needs a pass from the soc of engineers in bangkok etc.. The guy basically owns a boat anchor now and can never sell it.

As to a sale with a old visa.. yes thats 100% the case and even if the entry stamp to thailand is out of date they wont move it. So somone could sign the forms on a friday night, do a visa run on sat morning, and you couldnt change name on monday !!

yes that was a nice bug and looked professionley built.I am thinking of doing a similar project.Who are soc eng ,would you have a website or address as i would like to see there critiera (if any :o to get a pass. Cheers

• 1 month later...

Yeah,the guy is spot on. :D

The new Euro six has come in to action in Asia. :D

If bikes are not standard they do not pass the transport depertment test for your insurance and tax papers.

They want to get rid of the old bikes to cut down on the harmful gases.

Green book has nothing to do with it.

By the way most bikes of this age I.E CBR 400,VFR 400,CB 400 have fake books.

Check your books to the age of your bike and they probable don't match.The frame and engine numbers have been changed and you have a book from a crashed motorcycle with the wrong date in it.

Your bike is only worth 20-30 thousand Bht.

That is what Thai people pay for them. :D:D:)

I always giggle to myself when i hear of a westerner spending 70-100 on one. :D:D

Any way got a good deal from the guy from Asia Bikes, and a one year warranty on the bike that is ten years old.

All stadard bikes that are in working order will pass the test.Maybe, nothings 100% guy's.How long have you been in Thailand?

You can get a fake book,but if you have an accident and they find out your bikes is a fake.....well your guess is as good as mine what might happen.

And every one that owns a bike has to have the name of some one they know in it, or themselve,if not... you are in even bigger shit if you have an accident.

Just pay 55,000 for a legal book for a 400 cc Japanese bike.

It now takes 10 weeks to 2 months to get it done because they now send the books away to be checked to check to see that they are 100% and not copies. Before you can get your Tax and insurance,what is call an M.O.T is done before you get these things.

Reading this again.. That fee sounds very much like the amount i was told to make the changes in a forged book. The forged book goes back to the forger (not the DMV) and has a new name printed in.. I was quoted 20k and 10k per name change for this kind of book. :D:D:D:D:):D

To change your name in a green book costs around 455Bht.

You can get a fake book,but if you have an accident and they find out your bikes is a fake.....well your guess is as good as mine what might happen.

And every one that owns a bike has to have the name of some one they know in it, or themselve,if not... you are in even bigger shit if you have an accident.

It now takes 10 weeks to 2 months to get it done because they now send the books away to be checked to check to see that they are 100% and not copies. Before you can get your Tax and insurance,what is call an M.O.T is done before you get these things.

I am guessing you havent read the many posts about phukets DMV and thier backdating tax collection ?? This is the guys problem.

He HAS a green book.. For the bike.. Right age etc.. In his name..

Reading this again.. That fee sounds very much like the amount i was told to make the changes in a forged book. The forged book goes back to the forger (not the DMV) and has a new name printed in.. I was quoted 20k and 10k per name change for this kind of book. :D:D:D:D:):D

To change your name in a green book costs around 455Bht.

You really need to read the posts more..

Phuket are refusing transfers on all kinds of bikes that were considered legit and in other provinces are considered legit.. All about the Page 18 customs stamp info.. the date ranges this stamp should apply for.. and the lazyness of other DMV's and even phuket themselves in moving it from one book to another when issueing new books as previously it was considered 'unimportant'..

its nonsense. i just had my vfr 400r reregustered after letting reg lapse for 5 years. had to get a new book and plate. cost 4k

What kind of 'reregistration' is that ??

Just letting tax expire, even for years, doesnt require a new book or plate..

From no reg to reg wont be done for 4k.. or even 10x that..

its nonsense. i just had my vfr 400r reregustered after letting reg lapse for 5 years. had to get a new book and plate. cost 4k

New book new plate, full set of serial# rubbings and insurance.

thats all i know, it was all handled by my mechanic.

anyhow he brought it back today in excellent condition after being parked for 3 years in my driveway and I am pleased.

I am guessing you havent read the many posts about phukets DMV and thier backdating tax collection ?? This is the guys problem.

He HAS a green book.. For the bike.. Right age etc.. In his name..

Oh right !

Tax on bikes now is an issue.

Bike shipped in to the country in parts is lower than a bike shipped in as one piece.

Now the police want to see invoice papers.I was told that people now have to pay up the full amount if stopped,if not the bike will be taken away from you,but that's just what i have herd.

Because bikes have to now be shipped in to the country in one piece, bikes prices will be going up within the next couple of months.

So guys if you have'nt got your invoice papers with your bike you have to pay full tax,if you have invoice papers you will have to make up the rest to the amount it should have been.

I guess nothing is really clear at the moment.

What with the Euro 6 coming in to action and the invoice tax issue.

If it isn't clear to you what is going on, then just imagine what people in the these offices you are dealing with are like.

They will just say NO! because they probably don't understand what is going on at the moment themselves.

It probably is different from province to province.

But in my 11 years in Thailand i have never talked to a person that works in an office to understand the full policies of the company they work for.

The buck is always past and the story changes as time goes by.

T.I.T

New book new plate, full set of serial# rubbings and insurance.

thats all i know, it was all handled by my mechanic.

anyhow he brought it back today in excellent condition after being parked for 3 years in my driveway and I am pleased.

Was there a province move done ?? To bring a out of region plate to your new address ?? That would explain new plates etc ?? And costs about that amount..

Really I know a bike that was laid up for years like that.. There was no rereg fee when the owner refurbed it, he just went and paid his tax, and insurance, got a fresh sticker and had the bike dusted off..

Oh right !

Bike shipped in to the country in parts is lower than a bike shipped in as one piece.

Now the police want to see invoice papers.I was told that people now have to pay up the full amount if stopped,if not the bike will be taken away from you,but that's just what i have herd.

Because bikes have to now be shipped in to the country in one piece, bikes prices will be going up within the next couple of months.

So guys if you have'nt got your invoice papers with your bike you have to pay full tax,if you have invoice papers you will have to make up the rest to the amount it should have been.

Who says bikes can no longer be parts shipped.. its happening still..

But once the bike is legally registered its their problem to have verified all the previous taxes for registration. Its part of having a green book issued, once issued it should then be legal.

This is the key issue on phuket.. They now demand that there is page 18 tax info, or they wont transfer it, without backtaxing you.. Yet

1) 100% legal bikes bought from main dealers have no page 18 info...

2) 100% legal bikes that were properly imported sometimes dont have this put in there..

3) It seems that when books re reissued when full, or when moving inter province, becuase this wasnt important before, officials were too lazy to move it over.. Thier lazyness is now being used to tax heavily big bike owners. For periods before people owned the bikes !!

4) The date range this applies to is only for post 2540 machines.. Yet no info / stamp on any age, the DMV wont move it without clearance from customs, customs in turn refuse to say in writing any bike is 'clear' !! Catch 22 !!

To add to this they wont explain, they wont communicate, they just grunt and throw the book back with 'hab ploblem' even to lawyers and Thais working on behalf of the transfer, they seem to be purposefully obfuscating the issue as this is proving to be a nice little money spinner for the customs dept.

But in my 11 years in Thailand i have never talked to a person that works in an office to understand the full policies of the company they work for.

T.I.T

Exactly.. The DMV dont know.. They dont know the date range, they just dont care, they simply refuse to do name changes and refer it to the customs, who wont do anything without money.. The DMV wont give answers in case the answer is wrong, customs have an incentive to make it hard to understand as they are taxing all these owners at transfer time now, so they are incentivised to keep it confused, hard to understand, and illegal..

One case I heard of recently on a transfer, they tax the guy a good chunk (nearly 30k) take the tax, allow the transfer, but still dont record the tax on the book.. So the buyer and seller are just relieved the book transfer goes through, but now the buyer will have exactly the same thing when he wants to sell.. Its a goldmine for them !!!

Oh right !

Who says bikes can no longer be parts shipped.. its happening still..

But once the bike is legally registered its their problem to have verified all the previous taxes for registration. Its part of having a green book issued, once issued it should then be legal.

This is the key issue on phuket.. They now demand that there is page 18 tax info, or they wont transfer it, without backtaxing you.. Yet

1) 100% legal bikes bought from main dealers have no page 18 info...

2) 100% legal bikes that were properly imported sometimes dont have this put in there..

3) It seems that when books re reissued when full, or when moving inter province, becuase this wasnt important before, officials were too lazy to move it over.. Thier lazyness is now being used to tax heavily big bike owners. For periods before people owned the bikes !!

4) The date range this applies to is only for post 2540 machines.. Yet no info / stamp on any age, the DMV wont move it without clearance from customs, customs in turn refuse to say in writing any bike is 'clear' !! Catch 22 !!

To add to this they wont explain, they wont communicate, they just grunt and throw the book back with 'hab ploblem' even to lawyers and Thais working on behalf of the transfer, they seem to be purposefully obfuscating the issue as this is proving to be a nice little money spinner for the customs dept.

T.I.T

Exactly.. The DMV dont know.. They dont know the date range, they just dont care, they simply refuse to do name changes and refer it to the customs, who wont do anything without money.. The DMV wont give answers in case the answer is wrong, customs have an incentive to make it hard to understand as they are taxing all these owners at transfer time now, so they are incentivised to keep it confused, hard to understand, and illegal..

One case I heard of recently on a transfer, they tax the guy a good chunk (nearly 30k) take the tax, allow the transfer, but still dont record the tax on the book.. So the buyer and seller are just relieved the book transfer goes through, but now the buyer will have exactly the same thing when he wants to sell.. Its a goldmine for them !!!

"Who says bikes can no longer be parts shipped.. its happening still.."

Not for long.

A lot of bike shops are keeping the bikes in storage because police are going around checking the invoice papers to make sure the bikes have not been shipped in in parts.

Bike shops will have to now pay full tax on a bikes shipped into the country in one piece, that is why bikes prices will be going up in the next couple of months.

Who said?

I did,take it or leave it.

I make it my business to know these things.