Milk Thistle

ChiangMaiFun

Does anyone know where I can buy reasonably priced Milk Thistle locally?

Have you checked GNC at Kad Suan Kaow? Not sure if they have it, or what the price is, but I know GNC in Singapore carries it.

Great stuff to help your liver out.

thanks - what's GNC? - yes it's great stuff I take all the time in UK - have asked many shops here but they don't even know what it is...

Aden on the Nimmanhemin road has it. 590 baht for 30 tablets.

You can find it right next to the counter.

They may have it at Good Health shop as well.

Couple of options. With the high cost of milk thistle here, consider ordering from a US supplier. Even with high shipping costs you should be able to get 120 capsules (wouldn't want tablets) for slightly more than what you would pay for a 30 count here.

Second option is to buy Andrographis Paniculata (sold under Thai name of Fah-Talai-Jone). It is also an herb that has proven hepatoprotective (liver) benefits and you can get 100 capsules for around 80 baht.

Legalon 70. Pharma carries it for 990B for a box of 100 gel caps.

Also, Green Pharmacy, immediately to your left as you face the indoor entrance to Tops Market on the bottom floor of Kad Suan Kaew Central but he tends to be a bit more expensive.

I would wager that everyone's favorite pharmacy, the first one on your left going West from Tha Phae Gate toward AUA Language School, has it as well.

GREAT liver protection for anyone who drinks!

Thanks everyone - it's just so expensive! (import I know)

Imagine taking two a day at around 20 Baht a capsule? I might try the Fah-Talai-Jone suggested. I will also bring back a supply from UK where it's very cheap. I just want to give myself that added protection - I noticed when I had my liver checked with no protection it was on the 'cusp' of a problem but after taking regularly it went back to 'normal' reading - and I enjoy a drink!

• 2 months later...

Imagine taking two a day at around 20 Baht a capsule? I might try the Fah-Talai-Jone suggested. I will also bring back a supply from UK where it's very cheap. I just want to give myself that added protection - I noticed when I had my liver checked with no protection it was on the 'cusp' of a problem but after taking regularly it went back to 'normal' reading - and I enjoy a drink!

Fah Talai Jon is available at quite a lot of the Thai pharmacists--even Macro, Hang Dong--and is good for plenty of ailments.

EDIT--none too keen on the taste, though.

Edited by haybilly

I would wager that everyone's favorite pharmacy, the first one on your left going West from Tha Phae Gate toward AUA Language School, has it as well.

They do indeed and offer the choice of a Thai brand or an import so you can choose your price.

I was getting most of my 'unusual' stuff at Green Pharmacy but their prices drove me off.

GNC is also VERY expensive for most things and the one at Kad Suan Keaw told me that it is not available anywhere in Thailand.

whats the cusp of a problem and whats the now normal, how does this stuff help?

Check out www.swansonvitamins.com and have it shipped to a friend in the states, then ship to you. you'll save mucho, get good product and save your liver. They have 2 for 1 sales all the time and shipping to states is priority mail for $4.99.

I mean my liver indicated very early signs of 'fatty' deposits. I am taking the FTJ now which acts to protect the liver. 100 tabs cost me 20 Baht! Milk Thistle very expensive here.

I mean my liver indicated very early signs of 'fatty' deposits. I am taking the FTJ now which acts to protect the liver. 100 tabs cost me 20 Baht! Milk Thistle very expensive here.

thanks, i have not explored "natural products" much, would you use it if your lft's were normal?

thanks, i have not explored "natural products" much, would you use it if your lft's were normal?

Truthfully probably not... I tend to drink at weekends and I enjoy it - just taking a precaution. When I had higher ltfs in UK I took Milk Thisle and the next reading was within 'normal' range so hoping to keep it that way!

• 1 month later...

its 95 baht for a strip of 10 (Legalon 70) in my local pharmacy, so at 9.5 baht a capsule i would say its money well spent!

• 10 years later...
On 3/30/2009 at 1:18 PM, mrmillersr said:

Couple of options. With the high cost of milk thistle here, consider ordering from a US supplier. Even with high shipping costs you should be able to get 120 capsules (wouldn't want tablets) for slightly more than what you would pay for a 30 count here.

Second option is to buy Andrographis Paniculata (sold under Thai name of Fah-Talai-Jone). It is also an herb that has proven hepatoprotective (liver) benefits and you can get 100 capsules for around 80 baht.

Where can I pick up some Fah Talai Jone in Chiang Mai? Do most places have it?

thanks ????

Being somewhat of a drinker, I have used milk thistle for years and seen my liver enzymes drop below the max. normal level. One brand I would suggest is "Nature's Bounty" if ordering out of country. They are capsules and each contains 1,000 mg and the dosage is 3 per day....with a shot of whisky.

Nothing is going to be 'reasonably priced" so I suggest iHerb.
I bought a 4oz bottle of Silymarin powder ages ago.  You only take 1/8 tsp.  It lasts forever.  If you just buy 1 bottle at $16 bucks and change, the shipping is steep ($11+).  If you shop and buy additional items you can get the shipping down to a reasonable price.  I'll usually buy $40 worth of stuff which drops shipping price significantly and ship it via the SF Express option which is fast and offers a tracking number.  Delivered to your door by courier.  Just a thought.  I don't buy any supplements in Thailand.  It's a waste of money.  iHerb is the best option.  Imho.
https://th.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-Silymarin-Pure-Powder-4-oz-113-g/69201

2 hours ago, connda said:

Nothing is going to be 'reasonably priced" so I suggest iHerb.
I bought a 4oz bottle of Silymarin powder ages ago.  You only take 1/8 tsp.  It lasts forever.  If you just buy 1 bottle at $16 bucks and change, the shipping is steep ($11+).  If you shop and buy additional items you can get the shipping down to a reasonable price.  I'll usually buy $40 worth of stuff which drops shipping price significantly and ship it via the SF Express option which is fast and offers a tracking number.  Delivered to your door by courier.  Just a thought.  I don't buy any supplements in Thailand.  It's a waste of money.  iHerb is the best option.  Imho.
https://th.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-Silymarin-Pure-Powder-4-oz-113-g/69201

IHerb offer free shipping to Thailand these days.

You're way out of date.

On 3/30/2009 at 5:26 PM, Dustoff said:

Green Pharmacy, immediately to your left as you face the indoor entrance to Tops Market on the bottom floor of Kad Suan Kaew Central ...

fyi: Green Pharma relocated to the 2nd. floor some months ago.

~o:37;

Edited by orang37
memory recovered after alien abduction