Ready To Tear The Country Apart

sabaijai

Nevertheless, once the fight is over it will be back to the mobile phone, soap opera TV and cramming the family into the pick up for the weekend drive. A book will never be opened and no more than a weeks wages will be invested in a new business.

Paradise ;-)

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It seems that as one group from a town leaves another group from another city is joining more less. It doesnt seem anyone is planning to live on the grounds.

Its easy to say they buy votes or buy demonstrators - I could say Obama bought votes by promising a tax cut to Americans - the people there are completely capable of reading, thinking, deciding and voting for themselves.

There was free water and that was it from our experience. On the D cable channel they are requesting donations but I would think its to cover basic logistics. Even at 300 baht a day it wouldnt be enough for a room, food and time away from work.

I still disagree with you though on the Thai mentality. I have studied it anecdotally and a little empirically and it is quite unique even in Asia.

Nowhere else do I see such lack of will to learn, improve one's own lot and ultimately move up a social class or at least get richer. Instead the culture is one of suspicion, laziness and apathy (generally). I am very impressed byt he will and determination of the rural poor now to fight for their cause and good luck to them. They will of course win in the end as revolutions never started in the middle classes (ever!).

Nevertheless, once the fight is over it will be back to the mobile phone, soap opera TV and cramming the family into the pick up for the weekend drive. A book will never be opened and no more than a weeks wages will be invested in a new business. This is what holds Thailand back and differentiates it from other countries, even those less developed in Asia.

My explanation is that the core pride of Thais is their downfall - no colonisation and no influx of foreign blood and ideas. By the way, I am NOT pro colonialists NOR am I supporting them EVER before someone jumps on that, BUT the truth is that once the upheaval, rape and pillage is over, the country does have a legacy of a different outlook.

Take Vietnam, ravaged and desecrated by war, but moving forward with no remorse or grudges and now widely predicted to grow fast again because of its 'young hard-working population and stable political system' as I read today in a property report. Sure it is not a democracy but it is stable and the people do read an average of 80 books a year compared to 1 in Thailand...

Thais have a 'tarzan mentality' - fear of outsiders in their country and this holds them back. You have two choices to develop economically in competitive times - rely on your own educated labour or look for outside help. Sure, Taiwan, Korea etc can do so as can Hong Kong if the foreigners left but Thailand would be left with an indigenous population which is in fact practically unemployable in a first world country based on an average IQ of 88/89 and dropping (IQ scales categorize that level IQ as such). Couple that with perhaps the poorest English skills in Asia and they cannot even do as Filipinos do relying on their English to travel extensively for work.

Again, I do not want to be harsh, but there is little left except the oldest profession so maybe that is why Thailand is so famous for that!

Back to the subject of the thread - this protest will tear the country apart but as I said earlier, it has to happen for some sense to set in and pull the locals from their apathy. Maybe then they will try a little bit to embrace some foreign culture and help. I was not here for many of Thaksin's years in power but friends of mine tell me that he was the first outside (as in rest of world) thinking leader which was good for the country and I guess scared the ruling elite as it would disturb the hierarchy of them and us (the slaves)...

Things must change!

Not bloody likely. You must change ... or move to Vietnam. Personally I don't cotton to the Vietnamese cultural mentality and hope the Thais never approach the Chinese or VN way of 'moving ahead'.

I still disagree with you though on the Thai mentality. I have studied it anecdotally and a little empirically and it is quite unique even in Asia.

Nowhere else do I see such lack of will to learn, improve one's own lot and ultimately move up a social class or at least get richer. Instead the culture is one of suspicion, laziness and apathy (generally). I am very impressed byt he will and determination of the rural poor now to fight for their cause and good luck to them. They will of course win in the end as revolutions never started in the middle classes (ever!).

Nevertheless, once the fight is over it will be back to the mobile phone, soap opera TV and cramming the family into the pick up for the weekend drive. A book will never be opened and no more than a weeks wages will be invested in a new business. This is what holds Thailand back and differentiates it from other countries, even those less developed in Asia.

My explanation is that the core pride of Thais is their downfall - no colonisation and no influx of foreign blood and ideas. By the way, I am NOT pro colonialists NOR am I supporting them EVER before someone jumps on that, BUT the truth is that once the upheaval, rape and pillage is over, the country does have a legacy of a different outlook.

Take Vietnam, ravaged and desecrated by war, but moving forward with no remorse or grudges and now widely predicted to grow fast again because of its 'young hard-working population and stable political system' as I read today in a property report. Sure it is not a democracy but it is stable and the people do read an average of 80 books a year compared to 1 in Thailand...

Thais have a 'tarzan mentality' - fear of outsiders in their country and this holds them back. You have two choices to develop economically in competitive times - rely on your own educated labour or look for outside help. Sure, Taiwan, Korea etc can do so as can Hong Kong if the foreigners left but Thailand would be left with an indigenous population which is in fact practically unemployable in a first world country based on an average IQ of 88/89 and dropping (IQ scales categorize that level IQ as such). Couple that with perhaps the poorest English skills in Asia and they cannot even do as Filipinos do relying on their English to travel extensively for work.

Again, I do not want to be harsh, but there is little left except the oldest profession so maybe that is why Thailand is so famous for that!

Back to the subject of the thread - this protest will tear the country apart but as I said earlier, it has to happen for some sense to set in and pull the locals from their apathy. Maybe then they will try a little bit to embrace some foreign culture and help. I was not here for many of Thaksin's years in power but friends of mine tell me that he was the first outside (as in rest of world) thinking leader which was good for the country and I guess scared the ruling elite as it would disturb the hierarchy of them and us (the slaves)...

Things must change!

Not bloody likely. You must change ... or move to Vietnam. Personally I don't cotton to the Vietnamese cultural mentality and hope the Thais never approach the Chinese or VN way of 'moving ahead'.

and your relevant point is?

To any tar-pit bound fear-based mutterers with naive desires which are NOT about 'democracy' but in REALITY actually more about extending sell-buy dates of self-interests. Ie: If only Khun Thaksin could return then the baht/pound etc 'magically' go back to 75 etc and the beers become cheaper and colder, plus the girls same but warmer and basically 'magically' make the land that time forgot go back, or stand still pullleeeasse.... Wake up WALTER MITTY'S, times, they are a-changin (sowwy...) :D

Another relevant point (perhaps) ?

Reality check:

We're now in the midst of a global economic crisis and more pressing issues confront Thailand than Reds/Yellows/Blues or hues (leaving most in the majority completely fed up)

Personally, I wish all protests would end and Thailand is 'permitted' to get back on her feet. THEN general elections can be called. Now is not the time for dissolving the Govt and in effect wasting 3 critical months (in the midst of an economic crisis) simply to satisfy Mr Thaksin's/Red's demands.

However, Mr Thaksin WILL NOT STOP. Global crisis or not, HIS needs are apparently FAR more important and pressing than Thailand's (as always some might say)

In fact, it's to his complete advantage to create further chaos, therefore driving Thailand further in the muck, thus (he hopes) closer to his frozen 76 billion, freedom and a three-peat as PM (probably to be extended via a Chavez-esque constitution change, si?)

Until Dr Thaksin squarely says so (or goes broke, or 'wins'- by destroying Thailand from within or without), it isn't going to be over. A further push to try and stir up all out civil war is probably not out of the question for Dr T's purposes (a jaded ploy with a very remote possibility of 'success' thankfully).

Regardless, now is NOT the time to call elections and essentially have a rudderless Govt for 3 months in the middle of the largest global crisis since 1929. Meanwhile, Mr Thaksin aka 'THE victim' may have to wait for his form of 'justice' (or return and seek it).

Bottom line, as long as Dr Thaksin is out of pocket 76 billion baht and lusts for a return to power (along with complete exoneration) it appears Thailand's needs will just have to wait. :o

Edited by baht&sold

To any tar-pit bound fear-based mutterers with naive desires which are NOT about 'democracy' but in REALITY actually more about extending sell-buy dates of self-interests. Ie: If only Khun Thaksin could return then the baht/pound etc 'magically' go back to 75 etc and the beers become cheaper and colder, plus the girls same but warmer and basically 'magically' make the land that time forgot go back, or stand still pullleeeasse.... Wake up WALTER MITTY'S, times, they are a-changin (sowwy...) :D

Another relevant point (perhaps) ?

Reality check:

We're now in the midst of a global economic crisis and more pressing issues confront Thailand than Reds/Yellows/Blues or hues (leaving most in the majority completely fed up)

Personally, I wish all protests would end and Thailand is 'permitted' to get back on her feet. THEN general elections can be called. Now is not the time for dissolving the Govt and in effect wasting 3 critical months (in the midst of an economic crisis) simply to satisfy Mr Thaksin's/Red's demands.

However, Mr Thaksin WILL NOT STOP. Global crisis or not, HIS needs are apparently FAR more important and pressing than Thailand's (as always some might say)

In fact, it's to his complete advantage to create further chaos, therefore driving Thailand further in the muck, thus (he hopes) closer to his frozen 76 billion, freedom and a three-peat as PM (probably to be extended via a Chavez-esque constitution change, si?)

Until Dr Thaksin squarely says so (or goes broke, or 'wins'- by destroying Thailand from within or without), it isn't going to be over. A further push to try and stir up all out civil war is probably not out of the question for Dr T's purposes (a jaded ploy with a very remote possibility of 'success' thankfully).

Regardless, now is NOT the time to call elections and essentially have a rudderless Govt for 3 months in the middle of the largest global crisis since 1929. Meanwhile, Mr Thaksin aka 'THE victim' may have to wait for his form of 'justice' (or return and seek it).

Bottom line, as long as Dr Thaksin is out of pocket 76 billion baht and lusts for a return to power (along with complete exoneration) it appears Thailand's needs will just have to wait. :o

and the point here is (based I may add on not a lot of fact)?

Jeez, lots of random and incoherent posts me thinks.....

Lest you forget, the previous government broke up when the PPP was dissolved by the Constitutional Court for electoral fraud.

And of course that court judgement could never have been affected by military pressure or indeed, from pressure of a paramilitary mob blockading the country's main airport.

Thailand's needs weren't taken into consideration when tanks were rumbling in central Bangkok nor when paramilitary forces laid siege to the airport.

So why now all the concern?

Lest you forget, the previous government broke up when the PPP was dissolved by the Constitutional Court for electoral fraud.

And of course that court judgement could never have been affected by military pressure or indeed, from pressure of a paramilitary mob blockading the country's main airport.

Thailand's needs weren't taken into consideration when tanks were rumbling in central Bangkok nor when paramilitary forces laid siege to the airport.

Oh what amnesia strikes the feeble-minded in such short time. Unless you'd be referring to the gentlewomen and men who risked life and limb to occupy the airports with bottles of water and handfans as their only weapons as "paramilitaries"? Peaceful protest by peaceful people. My old neighbour was there and she wouldn't harm a fly, so I speak from some degree of insight Mr Kommando. :D

Translation of Thaksin Shinawatra’s speech to date.

http://www.thenation.co.th/

My dear brothers and sisters.

everyone who used to get benefits from the democracy that could really feed you during the era of Thai Rak Thai when I was prime minister.

Please give it a little thought on how popularly-driven democracy benefited you.

Everyone who used to benefit from the Bt30 baht health care for all, or those who got their children back after I waged a war on drug, and those who could live a better life after I fought the mafia, and those whose children got better education when I brought underground lottery up to the ground, as well as those of you who benefited from banking for the poor, or village fund, from Otop programme or from debt moratorium.

Please rise up together all across the country.

Please join the red shirts and bring back our democracy.

You don’t need to come to Bangkok.

You can just gather all around Thailand peacefully in order to tell them that we are protective of our democracy.

Get democracy back and your lives will be better.

No matter who is the government, only through democracy will you be happy.

And to all politicians who share my ideology, don’t be shy.

Come out to lead the Thai people and fight for democracy.

We don’t hurt anyone and we won’t cause damage to the country.

All we want is true democracy that is truely for the people.

You don’t have to worry about me.

Let me worry about you.

Whatever you can do, either making one pot of rice or one pot of curry, please do so that the fight can continue.

We want democracy for Thai people and for your children.

We want democracy to co-exist for our monarchy without all the nuisances and disruptive influences.

Let’s make politics something exclusively for the people only.

My dear brothers, I’m ready.

I’m ready to walk into Thailand and we walk together to tell them that we want democracy.

I’m ready.

Today we are just asking from democracy.

We are not asking for anything more.

Can we get that? This is not a fight for any particular individual.

This is for our beloved Thailand.

Bottom line, as long as Dr Thaksin is out of pocket 76 billion baht and lusts for a return to power (along with complete exoneration) it appears Thailand's needs will just have to wait. :D

Oh what amnesia strikes the feeble-minded in such short time. Unless you'd be referring to the gentlewomen and men who risked life and limb to occupy the airports with bottles of water and handfans as their only weapons as "paramilitaries"? Peaceful protest by peaceful people. My old neighbour was there and she wouldn't harm a fly, so I speak from some degree of insight Mr Kommando. :D

you obviously havent seen the video on youtube of the trigger happy padster hiding behind a loudspeaker on the back of a pickup shooting his gun :o

Translation of Thaksin Shinawatra’s speech to date.

http://www.thenation.co.th/

My dear brothers and sisters.

everyone who used to get benefits from the democracy that could really feed you during the era of Thai Rak Thai when I was prime minister.

Please give it a little thought on how popularly-driven democracy benefited you.

Everyone who used to benefit from the Bt30 baht health care for all, or those who got their children back after I waged a war on drug, and those who could live a better life after I fought the mafia, and those whose children got better education when I brought underground lottery up to the ground, as well as those of you who benefited from banking for the poor, or village fund, from Otop programme or from debt moratorium.

Please rise up together all across the country.

Please join the red shirts and bring back our democracy.

You don’t need to come to Bangkok.

You can just gather all around Thailand peacefully in order to tell them that we are protective of our democracy.

Get democracy back and your lives will be better.

No matter who is the government, only through democracy will you be happy.

And to all politicians who share my ideology, don’t be shy.

Come out to lead the Thai people and fight for democracy.

We don’t hurt anyone and we won’t cause damage to the country.

All we want is true democracy that is truely for the people.

You don’t have to worry about me.

Let me worry about you.

Whatever you can do, either making one pot of rice or one pot of curry, please do so that the fight can continue.

We want democracy for Thai people and for your children.

We want democracy to co-exist for our monarchy without all the nuisances and disruptive influences.

My dear brothers, I’m ready.

I’m ready to walk into Thailand and we walk together to tell them that we want democracy.

I’m ready.

Today we are just asking from democracy.

We are not asking for anything more.

Can we get that? This is not a fight for any particular individual.

This is for our beloved Thailand.

Vintage Not The Nation stuff from Takkers. The geezer's a raving looney. Lost the plot altogether I'm afraid. "You don't have to worry about me, I'll worry about you" . Who does this convicted criminal think he is? The Messiah? Brian? A very naughty boy? This is the voice of someone at the end of the road, who's just realised the game's finally up and the options left don't look a whole lot of sanuk in the wilderness, so why not fling down one's last cheat card hidden up the sleeve of his jacket. :o

Vintage Not The Nation stuff from Takkers. The geezer's a raving looney. Lost the plot altogether I'm afraid. "You don't have to worry about me, I'll worry about you" . Who does this convicted criminal think he is? The Messiah? Brian? A very naughty boy? This is the voice of someone at the end of the road, who's just realised the game's finally up and the options left don't look a whole lot of sanuk in the wilderness, so why not fling down one's last cheat card hidden up the sleeve of his jacket. :o

its not a cheat card, its a winning card - for any leader: dropping ones ego, putting oneself on the line, for the sake of a principle. all great leaders have had to do this.

he has only shown his cards, he has not fully played them, time will tell if he can pull it off.

I once thought he was doing everything for the 72billion. Now I think it would be more accurate to say he is doing it for justice, that is, justice for the people and through that, justice for himself.

Time for the current government to resign and call elections. :o

i agree ... the red shirt and the yellow shirts have had their say.

Now let the people have their say. time to call elections.

Much too soon to call elections, the country needs time to settle down again and it would certainly help if a certain convicted on the run criminal stayed well away instead of trying to de-rail what is a difficult period in the recovery of a very disjointed country.

Ditto.

Let the reds rant,

we need a government in place now,

and not running for office, and thus distracted from

keeping their eye on the ball.

Regardless of HOW the last 2 governments left the field, in disgrace obviously,

the current one came into power based on democratic coalition building.

Legally, and so there is no need for an election.

If you want to rant and rave at HOW that coalition was built

AIM IT AT NEWIN AND NOT THE DEMS.

Finally a post with common sense! I have been reading posts of how horrible the current govt. is and how they ilegally came to power, and i have shivered at the utter stupidity of what I was reading. People so caught up in the hold elections now rants they obviously have no sense of the political reality in Thailand, you are right, this country needs time to settle down to where people can vote with there brains, not there emotions. These political problems will not be sorted out in a day or even a year. It seems Thailand now has a govt. that is strong enough and has the right backing, give it a chance.

I don't get what the end game of the reds will be- if Thaksin does return what guarantee will there be that he can bring peace and stability back to this country. At least with this current government they've taken the softer approach in trying to listen and accommodate all sides (barring a certain fugitive from justice, of course). On the other hand, you've seen what Thaksin can do from abroad. If he comes back who's to say that his version of "justice" won't include taken revenge against all those who stood against him?

The way I see it this will only lead to civil war and no sensible Thai would want that.

Just to remind our members about another Thaksin's speech on Democracy when he was in power:

PM'S DECLARATION:'Democracy is not my goal'

Thaksin suggests he'll block any move for amendments to rein in his power

BANGKOK: Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday revealed for the first time the value he places on democracy, saying it was not the foremost thing Thailand needed.

In a candid statement made ominous by its release on Constitution Day, Thaksin said that as long as the country could progress and the people were happy, he was not concerned about the means used.

"Democracy is a good and beautiful thing, but it's not the ultimate goal as far as administering the country is concerned," he said. "Democracy is just a tool, not our goal. The goal is to give people a good lifestyle, happiness and national progress."

In a comment to counter calls for constitutional amend- ments that would support the sputtering checks-and-balances mechanism, the prime minister hinted that he would block the campaign to amend the charter, an issue that could cause a fall-out between him and his Chat Thai Party allies.

"Democracy is a vehicle," Thaksin said. "We can't drive a Rolls-Royce to a rural village and solve people's problems. A pickup truck or good off-road car will do. We just need to think carefully and make the right choices."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thaksin-demo...Goal-t4293.html

Any ideas on what the Rolls-Royce analogy meant? TAn excuse for a little vote buying, a few bottles of fish sauce and a few sacks of rice? That they don't deserce a Rolls-Royce of real democracy?

One must be severely demented to believe his pitch now, when his money is about to be confiscated if his democracy sermon fails.

I once thought he was doing everything for the 72billion. Now I think it would be more accurate to say he is doing it for justice, that is, justice for the people and through that, justice for himself.

Could you point us to even a single post that reflected this earlier thinking that you allege?

Some of his stuff really is worth thinking about:

"You don’t need to come to Bangkok.

Get democracy back and your lives will be better."

Gather peacefully but take care the army don't pack you into trucks so tight that you suffocate.

Thaksin is a genius in snipping bits and pieces of the past and paste them together to deceive the general public.

I am most interested of the start of his downfall, during April 2006. He just won an imperfect election, flew to Hua Hin and then back to BKK in a helicopter, and announced on TV with teary eyes that he will stand down from politics. Then he took leave from his post as PM and the rest is history.

What happened during that trip in the helicopter that caused his tears?

Can you, Thaksin, tell us during your next phone-in? Why start the story only at Sept 2006?

He is taking one last blind shot at creating a movement.

Trying to pull together any random, disaffected, rural poor,

and make them believe that ONLY he and his 'philosophy for life',

can make them happy.

I am one of you, I am not one of them.

I have cared for you, and never cared from them.

They are against you, I have always helped you.

Here are things I did. They did nothing, ever.

Right, and his coalition TRT was exclusively for the little people, right?

It is cold and it is calculating and it is disingenuous to the core.

He is addicted to the husahs and hosanahs he used to get as party leader,

and as government leader. He is addicted to power and is currently powerless.

He's read the books about grass roots leaders

and he is cynically punch all the classic buttons.

Thing is as noted above, most of the people are more than tired of street demos,

more than tired of divisiveness as it is so UN-Thai to be at continuous loggerheads with others.

The natural state of the Thai populace is relaxed and tranquil, even if that isn't rich and powerful.

So Thaksin is clearly trying to cobble together the nutters, and out of sync visibly angry Thai's.

Visibly angry in a Thai is culturally a very poor thing, unless considered very, very drunk.

Clearly the ones that DON'T FIT in with the majority,

and that no doubt does NOT breed a very controllable crew.

So what sense of power is he reveling in here.

What can he accomplish with visibly out of sync Thai's in the streets,

Can he create such a 'sense of disorder' in the whole country that

the government will abandon order to give him control?

It should be viewed as madness to think so.

But he has 76 billion resons to say or do anything he thinks will create disorder,

and try to jog the army into a poor move and blame them for every issue.

Edited by animatic

Could you point us to even a single post that reflected this earlier thinking that you allege?

it was before i registered here.

I was once a yellow shirt supporter like you, but long ago.

However, once i realized what was really going on, their real direction and the hole they dug the country into , and they way they basically robbed the poor people of their democratic vote ...... i realized it was wrong to support them.

However, once i realized what was really going on, their real direction and the hole they dug the country into

Pardon me, it was Thaksin who split the country, nobody else. And he is continuing so.

even critizising the monarchy. How far can Thailand still sink, if this guy should ever regain power??!!

Such a shame that Thai politics are so divisive and that corruption and self interest abounds in government circles. Not like Washington DC, London, Moscow, Rome....and all the other "falang" countries where consensus, harmony, trust and unabated honesty is to be found everywhere.

Wonder how we would all respond to a Thai forum in our country pontificating on how we should do things! Thailand is having to borrow quite heavily to prop up its economy. Not like the US and UK etc who have done such a sterling job of managing their affairs. No graft and corruption there........we have found ways to write graft and corruption into legally binding contracts....so no problem. Sure Thailand has plenty of bribery and corruption and people are divided in their political loyalties....and yes they do not always try to solve their differences in the best way possible (like blockading their biggest airports) but then look at what happens in France when the farmers get pissed of at the government.....or for that matter what happens in Liverpool or Coventry over a lost football game.

For goodness sake...butt out....let the Thai's solve their own problems (or not) and stop preaching. You chose to live here under their rules and quite frankly your opinions have no currency here anymore than theirs would have where you came from.

Time for the current government to resign and call elections. :o

i agree ... the red shirt and the yellow shirts have had their say.

Now let the people have their say. time to call elections.

True, but we all know the merry go round, red shirts will win, kangaroo court will call it illegal,

let face the truce, the Thai Rak Thai party years ago made for the first time the poor fell like real human people,

and they will never forget it.

However, once i realized what was really going on, their real direction and the hole they dug the country into , and they way they basically robbed the poor people of their democratic vote ...... i realized it was wrong to support them.

Yes, the yellow shirts would like to ban the rural folk from voting, is that what you call true democracy?

You single out one prime minster, what about all the other ones that stole, cheated and killed Thais?

Remember the Chuan government how they cheated, and cheated, some were caught but nothing ever happened.

Now Abhisit is going to borrow money, for some "projects", yet another scam to put at least 30% of that money in their own pockets, and he is in a hurry to make sure he gets the money before he is thrown out. He has to recoup the money that he paid out to become prime minster.

All these people are corrupt, so singling out a single individual is quite unfair.

Such a shame that Thai politics are so divisive and that corruption and self interest abounds in government circles. Not like Washington DC, London, Moscow, Rome....and all the other "falang" countries where consensus, harmony, trust and unabated honesty is to be found everywhere.

Wonder how we would all respond to a Thai forum in our country pontificating on how we should do things! Thailand is having to borrow quite heavily to prop up its economy. Not like the US and UK etc who have done such a sterling job of managing their affairs. No graft and corruption there........we have found ways to write graft and corruption into legally binding contracts....so no problem. Sure Thailand has plenty of bribery and corruption and people are divided in their political loyalties....and yes they do not always try to solve their differences in the best way possible (like blockading their biggest airports) but then look at what happens in France when the farmers get pissed of at the government.....or for that matter what happens in Liverpool or Coventry over a lost football game.

For goodness sake...butt out....let the Thai's solve their own problems (or not) and stop preaching. You chose to live here under their rules and quite frankly your opinions have no currency here anymore than theirs would have where you came from.

I am not allowed to have an opinion anymore :D because there is corruption in Rome :o ??