How Is Eva Air? (lon-bkk)

robbiecia

EVA air seem well priced right now

Do you have any comments regarding their service and legroom in economy?

The flight times are very similar (Lon to Bkk) with Thai air, but Eva are much cheaper.

Am familiar with Thai, but have never used Eva.

Any comments would be most appreciated

I have flown with EVA before and it was good service. The cheap tickets allow NO changes to date etc so be aware of this when buying. I am off to the UK on the 1st May so will let you know. Oh also Evergreen (or whatever they call it now) is excellent and worth the upgrade if you have the money.. I dont :o

Allan

EVA is the only airline I will fly from LAX to BKK. If you are a big guy go with the elite class a bit more leg room and wider seats, it cost a bit more than economy but the extra room is worth it. Afew years ago I changed my flight 3 times in one day and not an extra charge. If you fly them enough upgrades to business is no problem.

I flew Thai Airways and thought it was overrated, overpriced and the service sucked. When I've flown EVA AIR it's just about the best service I've had, and it's much cheaper. Also, they have a near perfect safety record. What's not to like?

They're also cool because they have the elite class, premium economy. However, opinions are mixed on this as you can see on this very thread. I plan to fly with them on my next trip to Thailand and I think I'll try it out if I can swing the few hundred bucks more.

I flew Eva from London a few years ago. It was okay, but in-flight entertainment was very limited: a few TVs in the aisle kind of entertainment. I much prefer the middle eastern airlines, but then I like a couple of hours stopover halfway to relieve the boredom...

i've used them for years , they are good , but they used to be better and cheaper.

its not as cheap to fly bkk-lhr-bkk these days with eva , especially premium economy , and the service and food is nothing special now.

singapore airlines often have better deals on bkk-sin-lhr , the service is impeccable and the planes nicer too (a-380).

the only downside is it's a slightly longer journey , but changi airport is an easy and relaxing place to spend a few hours.

i used singapore airlines for the first time last year , and found the experience much better than eva (or the british airways/qantas circus with their schoolmarmish stewardesses bossing you about and the lisping stewards mincing up and down the aisles) , and saved about 25000 baht for 2 over the trip with eva. got to watch out for the deals and grab them though.

I've flown that route with both Airlines. I only did it once with Thai, thereafter I have always travelled with EVA Air- Economy, the seats are not cramped, sufficient legroom, you can even see your feet !! (I'm 6'3'' 240lb).

In-flight entertainment consists of latest released films, News etc.,shown on a headrest in front of you, it also gives you a tracking map to destination etc., the food is good, however, you can go online to request any dietry requirements whatever class you travel. The Staff are attentive, if you do need something they speedily answer the 'call light' accessible on your TV remote control.

I hope this helps and wish you a terrific trip to the LOS. :o

I did fly with them 2 times on that route - nothing special, exept cheap direct flight.

luggage weight limit 20kg, comparing to 24kg on BA/quantas or thai - but if you buy from west east travel agency (and probably others selling discounted tickets for airlines) you can ask for 30kg (usually no charge for it or jus petty change).

in the past I use to fly with thai and loved food and service, now I can't afford it - just get the cheapest airfare

Evergreen Deluxe class is a very nice upgrade. Food is a step up, there's more space, and the seats recline more for easier sleeping. Although their regular economy is good service. The flight attendants are generally young and very efficient.

One thing about EVA is their fleet varies from very old to brand new. Well it might not be a range, seems like one or the other. Find out what planes are on your intended flights. The 747s they fly are old. The Airbus are new.

The main problem on the old birds is the in flight entertainment and older seating. I've flown Business Class on the 747s and Evergreen Deluxe on the Airbus is actually a little better due to the newer seats and better entertainment. The older planes have different channels, but play in a loop versus on demand.

:o The best by far have flown Thai/Swiss and BA but if available i always use EVA the staff are good the inflight drinks are good nothing seems to be to much trouble for the staff.Enjoy your flight.

If travelling Eco then a piece off advice try and get seats 79 or 78 A/B OR GH AS THESE ARE TWINS WITH PLENTY OF SPACE AND NEAR THE FLIGHT ATTENDENTS

Prefer Eva to Thai. Have flown both many times.

For me the seating in Eva is better if you are on their 777. They also have seat back TVs which makes a big difference to me. 747s are a bit tired out.

Thai only have seat back TVs if you travel on their A340. Flew the A340 out of London recently but not sure if they will keep it for their summer schedule. Would be good if they do, it operates the lunchtime departure from London which means it operates also on the night flight out of Bangkok.

The seats on the Eva 777 seem to have a slide effect which means if the guy in front puts his seat back and you do the same then the seat pitch still appears to provide the same amount of space for you to be comfortable (except when eating of course).

Take the Emirates EK373 out of Bangkok from 01 June and you will be in the A380. Leaves Bangkok around 2115 and connects with their A380 to London, worth a try. (Not sure if it ops everyday).

If I fly London to BKK I would take EVA over the rest. Nice plane, good entertainment and decent food I remember for a good price.

I don't like BA because you can end up on a Quantas plane and in the past I have found sometimes you end up on an old plane. They cost extra also.

Thai is OK but again not really worth the extra cost (although the best flight ever on London to BKK was on Thai with the plane not even a 1/3 full. Everyone was sleeping across 3 or 4 seats in Economy :o )

Thanks for all your informative replies.

Looks like EVA it is

Right now they are 500 GBP return for a direct flight, vs 620 GBP for THAI and the flight travel times are nearly identical.

Im bringing my folks over for a few weeks in the sun!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again

Thanks for all your informative replies.

Looks like EVA it is

Right now they are 500 GBP return for a direct flight, vs 620 GBP for THAI and the flight travel times are nearly identical.

Im bringing my folks over for a few weeks in the sun!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again

We have flown all three classes with EVA..no problems..you could try westeasttravel for a quote..we always used them. You can be unlucky with Thai Econ as they provide free drinks throughout..we had the misfortune to sit in front of three yobs....piss artists

Gold card holder on EVA. I as a big fan until the service started to deteriorate. Food is not impressive and beverage service scarce. That being said, it's the same elsewhere isn't it? I fly in Premium Laurel because it is affordable, so I can't really bitch can I however, the cutbacks in the past year due to the massive losses at the airline eroded my loyalty. I am using ANA/AC/AC flights to North America and they are cheaper than EVA, even in business. What I've noticed is that on the flight to BKK as a segment, EVA is the best priced but on the return segment, Star Alliance is better. So maybe check your ticket by segments.

One good thing about EVA is that the checkins are fast and well managed. Also transfers in TPE are easy.

If you take the eva flight to London (67 I think) it originates in TPE and is usually a refitted 747. The crappy seats are found only on the 747 combi carrier configurations.

EVA air seem well priced right now

Do you have any comments regarding their service and legroom in economy?

The flight times are very similar (Lon to Bkk) with Thai air, but Eva are much cheaper.

Am familiar with Thai, but have never used Eva.

Any comments would be most appreciated

Best on the route and if you are quick enough after booking you can go on to their website a reserve your self an upstairs economy seat which has 3 inches more leg room than downstairs.(If 747) also the check in a London is handled by Air Canada and in nearly always open early around 1630 for the 2135 departure

I like their premium economy as I need the extra legroom, though they are still a bit narrow for me.

If they were part of Star Alliance, I would choose them over Thai. But I fly often enough for it to be worth collecting Star ff miles.

I use Thai but sometimes Eva, i like to fly to Bangers on a Monday, drive to Heathrow Sunday for a Monday flight, Eva does not fly Mondays which is a pity, otherwise i would use them more often, also last time i booked Feb, the Eva flight was more expensive than Thai, I can never understand all these price structures with airlines, the mind boggles, but do not get us wrong, EVA is a good airline.

I am a frequent flyer on EVA and also endorse the airline. But sometimes strange things happen to their online site, such as not being able to select a seat even within the 90-days-before period; no problem with the Taipei-LAX selection, but unable to select Bkk-Taipei. I have kept trying and today was able to select a seat. Guess what, only two seats were left on the flight and those in the middle of the middle..........

I will take my chances at the gate.

Best on the route and if you are quick enough after booking you can go on to their website a reserve your self an upstairs economy seat which has 3 inches more leg room than downstairs.(If 747) also the check in a London is handled by Air Canada and in nearly always open early around 1630 for the 2135 departure

That's an excellent tip Philosopher

Thank you

Evergreen Deluxe class is a very nice upgrade. Food is a step up, there's more space, and the seats recline more for easier sleeping. Although their regular economy is good service. The flight attendants are generally young and very efficient.

One thing about EVA is their fleet varies from very old to brand new. Well it might not be a range, seems like one or the other. Find out what planes are on your intended flights. The 747s they fly are old. The Airbus are new.

The main problem on the old birds is the in flight entertainment and older seating. I've flown Business Class on the 747s and Evergreen Deluxe on the Airbus is actually a little better due to the newer seats and better entertainment. The older planes have different channels, but play in a loop versus on demand.

I just flew EVA deluxe last June on one of their new planes. I am just under 5 foo 5 inches and it was very uncomfortable for me. No room for my legs and the seat did not recline enought. I much prefer the older EVA planes.....the one we flew six years ago had the personal TVs then same as now, just not as new. Service was way better then too. It's OK now, but they've cheapened up on a lot of things.

Maybe the elite class is better now than deluxe. Used to be they just had deluxe and you had separate boarding, but now it's all lumped in with ecomomy. Oh, and by the way, ecomomy looked pretty darned cramped on the flight I was on.

Flight crew was nice though.

Beachbunny.

I flew Thai Airways and thought it was overrated, overpriced and the service sucked. When I've flown EVA AIR it's just about the best service I've had, and it's much cheaper. Also, they have a near perfect safety record. What's not to like?

They're also cool because they have the elite class, premium economy. However, opinions are mixed on this as you can see on this very thread. I plan to fly with them on my next trip to Thailand and I think I'll try it out if I can swing the few hundred bucks more.

I concur with the thoughts above. I commute via EVA (BKK-TPE-SFO) every 90-days and find the service consistently excellent. A recent BKK to Europe return was supberb so the service is universally 5-star. I especially like the pre-flight meals election service. The food always has been top grade. I cannot find anything negative to say about EVA.