Two New(old) Bikes From Tiger Motorcycles. What Ya Think?

thaicbr

What do you think?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mai pen rai, I'll wait until June. Keep us informed, thanks.

Ok Grungteep thats my bad. i thought i had made it fairly clear that both bikes were Bangkok show (show) bikes and SOON to be in production. The dates that i'm getting from Khun Pariya are early May for the Retro and Early June for the TT150. As the motor show has just ended i imagine that Pariya is very busY, he answers my emails either late at night or very early morning. They have now finalised a start to a new dealer network but it will be a slow rollout.

More news when its available.

Allan

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Looks like tiger have bought up somebodys 35 year old parts bin, probabaly better than platinum, but thats not really a positive reference im afraid,"

Imanegg. The parts bin you refer to is Tigers own as they have been producing motorcycles and parts for about 30 years now. I believe that they were the Kawasaki assembler pre 1997 economic crash after which Kawasaki took over operations. and that happened to a LOT of businesses in the region not just Tiger. But here we are in 2009 and not only are Tiger still here but also making new bikes available. maybe you dont like them and thats fine, but choice is good. You only have to look back a few years and see there was NO choice for new bikes above 150cc unless you were seriously rich HD etc

also let me refer to the platinum question. Platinum being a 2nd tier chinese manufacturer (assembler) eg a company that buys in all its parts engines etc and effectively just makes its own pigeon sh+t welded frames.

I would think that having the Tiger factory that actually builds the bikes & engines in this country, with FULL spares availability (as in every component) would be a very POSITIVE reference.

And before anybody gets on their high horse claiming that I'm on Tigers payroll...I'm NOT... BUT if Pariya is reading this then a couple of thousand off my girlfriends new Retro wouldn't go amiss :o:D :D :D :D :wai::P

Happy riding Allan

Edited by thaicbr

Looks like tiger have bought up somebodys 35 year old parts bin, probabaly better than platinum, but thats not really a positive reference im afraid,. :D

Wouldn't it be cool if some day "imaneggspurt" surprised us all by saying something positive? :o

I'm happy to see any manufacturer succeed and grow. The more brands and models and competition the better it is for the consumer.

The majority of Tiger riders on this forum seem very pleased with their bikes. I am happy for them. Guess there will always be a few trolls out there that try to diss and talk down about brands they've never ridden and know nothing about...

Happy Trails!

Tony

Looks like tiger have bought up somebodys 35 year old parts bin, probabaly better than platinum, but thats not really a positive reference im afraid,. :o

What a sad negative responses you like to give,

Who of us who are interested in the bike truly worries where the parts were bought or from which bin of whatever age they may have originated.

if the end product is appealing to the buyer & is acceptable to that purchasers needs, does its job fairly well & all at a realistic purchase price then thats really all that matters is it not ?

I cant see any buyers being overly concerned with the origins of the machine if it gives them riding pleasure,

currently Im aware of 3 people happily waiting to part with their money soon as the product in question rolls out of the Tiger factory.

nice thing about freedom of choice is no one is forced to buy one !

Bros.

hi guys,

I've been away for a few days and im happy to read That many members begin to accept what Tiger is doing. After all the reactions I've got.My efforts to continue the good work wasn't a waste of time .

Just neglect the negative reactions guys don't waste your time with it .... in dutch we call this Neglectable quantity.... simply a waste of time.

they only make them self ridiculous.

Charlie

today im off to Prachinburi another 500 k's this weekend

i'm boxering again today :o:D :D :D

I like both and would buy the retro for wife, the TT is nice but not in a seating position that i feel comfortable with...

But you'd look really, really cool on it!

I have now seen two non-Joker, civilian Tigers in northern Thailand. I saw none in five days in central Thailand this week. They do not register on the radar screen. You may as well advertise that cute ice cream wagon with the umbrella that is on the only Tiger brochure I ever found. Or maybe it is for selling green somtam.

I see Boxers all over in western Nakhon Sawan, all police rides natch, but there's a few Jokers tooling around and I've even seen one of those ice cream carts--he's in the marketplace all the time in our village.

As far as styling goes, as mentioned earlier I really like the TT. Of course I'm not Martha Stewart either....

martha Stewart Dave ??

Can you explain that to the old & uneducated ( me ) who is Martha Stewart & does she ride a Tiger ?

Bros, dumkoff of Pattaya,

I find it amusing that Tiger named two of their colours, 'Yellow Ferrari' and 'Red Ferrari'.

As for the bikes, I'd consider a TT if it had a bigger engine and if I knew the suspension would cope with my weight and those nice, undulating, patched over for the umpteenth time roads we get here.

Im really very suprised that you have found any undulating, patched over roads here, you are just so lucky !

here in Jontiem we have for the last 2 years had large areas of very main public road with absolutely No tarmac at all, just bare earth & huge holes after rain up to 1 ft deep , so far 4 new rims purchased in the last 2 years.

that turns the previous mere patched & undulating road that was dug up to widen it into a genuine off road course,

we pray daily for the luxury of your patched & undulating roads.

Bros

martha Stewart Dave ??

Can you explain that to the old & uneducated ( me ) who is Martha Stewart & does she ride a Tiger ?

Martha Stewart is a pretty famous American well known for her styling sense-even sells home goods for decoration. I have no similar inclinations, so I can't comment on the relative proportions of the bike in relation to various bits and bobs other than overall it looks really good to me.

martha Stewart Dave ??

Martha Stewart is a pretty famous American well known for her styling sense-even sells home goods for decoration. I have no similar inclinations, so I can't comment on the relative proportions of the bike in relation to various bits and bobs other than overall it looks really good to me.

Martha Stewart Information appreciated Dave, thank you, I agree the bike does look good lets wait for the publics wallet reaction now.

Bros

How many Tiger Boxer 250 owners/posters do we have on ThaiVisa now? Four or five?

Look at the poll! Or did you already forgot what thread you are posting in?

mbox

Wrong. Read my post and the poll questions again, please.

so its 4-5 Tiger boxers RS 250 who are TV members ....and another appr. 80000+ for the police force who are not tv members ...and your point of question is?????

How many Tiger Boxer 250 owners/posters do we have on ThaiVisa now? Four or five?

Look at the poll! Or did you already forgot what thread you are posting in?

mbox

Wrong. Read my post and the poll questions again, please.

so its 4-5 Tiger boxers RS 250 who are TV members ....and another appr. 80000+ for the police force who are not tv members ...and your point of question is?????

I thought most of the BIB Tigers were NOT RS250's

Dave

dave

you're right ...they are on 200's sorry my mistake...(although the bikes engine/design/built differs not much )

peaceblondie, make your own poll so you can find out exactly how many

tv members have a tiger boxer rs250 ....and when you have the final

results print them out and hang them in your bedroom or wherever ....i

really fail to understand your posts that seem to be nothing but

negative towards tiger ...

mbox

"Looks like tiger have bought up somebodys 35 year old parts bin, probabaly better than platinum, but thats not really a positive reference im afraid,"

Imanegg. The parts bin you refer to is Tigers own as they have been producing motorcycles and parts for about 30 years now. I believe that they were the Kawasaki assembler pre 1997 economic crash after which Kawasaki took over operations. and that happened to a LOT of businesses in the region not just Tiger. But here we are in 2009 and not only are Tiger still here but also making new bikes available. maybe you dont like them and thats fine, but choice is good. You only have to look back a few years and see there was NO choice for new bikes above 150cc unless you were seriously rich HD etc

also let me refer to the platinum question. Platinum being a 2nd tier chinese manufacturer (assembler) eg a company that buys in all its parts engines etc and effectively just makes its own pigeon sh+t welded frames.

I would think that having the Tiger factory that actually builds the bikes & engines in this country, with FULL spares availability (as in every component) would be a very POSITIVE reference.

And before anybody gets on their high horse claiming that I'm on Tigers payroll...I'm NOT... BUT if Pariya is reading this then a couple of thousand off my girlfriends new Retro wouldn't go amiss :D:D:D:wai::P :jerk: :burp:

Happy riding Allan

So, no old Japanese parts in the Tiger bikes then ? :o .the bike market is a joke in Thailand,even the staff fronting the displays at these motor shows know nothing, a year ago i saw the Sachs 250 ( although i dont want one ) at the motor show,a year on still no 250,.i wont comment on Yamaha.Suzuki/Honda as they dont deserve one,however hats off to Kawasaki for "having a go ".i am not saying tiger is a bad bike, however if in cars you were to compare an older Skoda to aToyota ,that to me is the difference between a Tiger and a bike from the big 4,.lots of happy skoda owners about im sure,.if price is your number one factor on purchase choice then get a Tiger, me, id buy a good secondhand Japanese bike,.to each there own,. :D

And before anybody gets on their high horse claiming that I'm on Tigers payroll...I'm NOT... BUT if Pariya is reading this then a couple of thousand off my girlfriends new Retro wouldn't go amiss :D:D:D:wai::P :jerk: :burp:

Happy riding Allan

So, no old Japanese parts in the Tiger bikes then ? :o .the bike market is a joke in Thailand,even the staff fronting the displays at these motor shows know nothing, a year ago i saw the Sachs 250 ( although i dont want one ) at the motor show,a year on still no 250,.i wont comment on Yamaha.Suzuki/Honda as they dont deserve one,however hats off to Kawasaki for "having a go ".i am not saying tiger is a bad bike, however if in cars you were to compare an older Skoda to aToyota ,that to me is the difference between a Tiger and a bike from the big 4,.lots of happy skoda owners about im sure,.if price is your number one factor on purchase choice then get a Tiger, me, id buy a good secondhand Japanese bike,.to each there own,. :D

sorry mr. skoda but i didn't buy my Tiger in paricular view of the price .....however,the low price is merely an positive sideeffect. I find the tiger perfect for my needs....i had a look on the kawasaki er6n too, nice bike but not narrow enough to go in town. I had a lot of secondhand bikes here , from virago over vfr 750 to vmax1200 ( and more) and can honestly tell you, none of them had the right papers....either an "invoice" which doesn't make it legal or a green book where the bikes nrs have been "reframed" which is even worse. Another big issue is to actually get spares.....i had my vmax,virago,vfr750... more on repair than riding it....

The Tiger Boxer is a slim bike with enough power delivered from 250cc engine to overtake on the open road, and going in the hills, great availability of spares ,an excellent service that i so far had from tiger plus a 100% legal Bike. There is sure more to point out but these are some of the most important issues to me.

I would compare not an old skoda to a toyota but Tata Xenon to a Toyota Vigo.....Tata isn't popular here cause nobody ever tried it and a relatively unknown brand here ....Toyota is popular because of Advertising everyone seems to have one ( despite the fact of safetyflaws in the car...) .....so it is a matter of advertising to get Tiger more popular....nothing more

mbox

a year ago i saw the Sachs 250 ( although i dont want one ) at the motor show,a year on still no 250

Imaneggspurt shoots himself in the foot yet again. THERE was a Sachs250 X-Road on the Tiger stand. In fact i hope to give it a test ride after Songkran.

id buy a good secondhand Japanese bike,.to each there own,

And have all the problems that are on the horizon about correct green books. there are lots of good bikes with good green books BUT there are also lots with BAD greenbooks. Each to their own

Edited by thaicbr

hi imaneggspurt

you are a funny guy I like your posts. .Many things aren't true ... mbox and thaicbr confirmed it already.It saves me lots of time

go buy yourself a Kawasaki you'll be happy. good bikes too .....

Charlie

a year ago i saw the Sachs 250 ( although i dont want one ) at the motor show,a year on still no 250

Imaneggspurt shoots himself in the foot yet again. THERE was a Sachs250 X-Road on the Tiger stand. In fact i hope to give it a test ride after Songkran.

id buy a good secondhand Japanese bike,.to each there own,

And have all the problems that are on the horizon about correct green books. there are lots of good bikes with good green books BUT there are also lots with BAD greenbooks. Each to their own

Ha ha, this is funny, was that the same bike sat there a year ago ?.if so ask fo a discount as its already 12 months old,.. :o and let me know how the road test goes, ,i only really commented on that bike really to show how unrelaible the thai importers are, i was as i say told that bike would be " available to the public " soon,. shot myself in the foot ?. i dont think so, it was sat there last year also, thats my point,......some people buy platinum and enjoy them, i dont have a problem with that, but as i said ,not for me, enjoy,. Edited by imaneggspurt

hi imaneggspurt

you are a funny guy I like your posts. .Many things aren't true ... mbox and thaicbr confirmed it already.It saves me lots of time

Charlie

well charlie, my opinion ( for what its worth ) is that the d tracker/klx250 are probably the best buys at the moment, ,but one must compare eggs with eggs,and price for price, ill reserve judgemet til the others bring out some bikes to compare with,and yes i know the tiger and sachs arent in the same league, and thats my point, actually im having a bit of fun here and hope to see lots of choices for all ,. :o

And before anybody gets on their high horse claiming that I'm on Tigers payroll...I'm NOT... BUT if Pariya is reading this then a couple of thousand off my girlfriends new Retro wouldn't go amiss :D:D:wai::P :jerk: :burp::burp:

Happy riding Allan

sorry mr. skoda but i didn't buy my Tiger in paricular view of the price .....however,the low price is merely an positive sideeffect. I find the tiger perfect for my needs....i had a look on the kawasaki er6n too, nice bike but not narrow enough to go in town. I had a lot of secondhand bikes here , from virago over vfr 750 to vmax1200 ( and more) and can honestly tell you, none of them had the right papers....either an "invoice" which doesn't make it legal or a green book where the bikes nrs have been "reframed" which is even worse. Another big issue is to actually get spares.....i had my vmax,virago,vfr750... more on repair than riding it....

The Tiger Boxer is a slim bike with enough power delivered from 250cc engine to overtake on the open road, and going in the hills, great availability of spares ,an excellent service that i so far had from tiger plus a 100% legal Bike. There is sure more to point out but these are some of the most important issues to me.

I would compare not an old skoda to a toyota but Tata Xenon to a Toyota Vigo.....Tata isn't popular here cause nobody ever tried it and a relatively unknown brand here ....Toyota is popular because of Advertising everyone seems to have one ( despite the fact of safetyflaws in the car...) .....so it is a matter of advertising to get Tiger more popular....nothing more

mbox

hi mbox, id say you missed out the best comparison, ( for size ) the klx or d tracker, i wouldnt think any of the others you mentioned were a comparison to a tiger, unless of course you were talking price ( although i doubt it as you mentioned an er6 er, ) enjoy your bike, im sure it will be fine,. :D

And before anybody gets on their high horse claiming that I'm on Tigers payroll...I'm NOT... BUT if Pariya is reading this then a couple of thousand off my girlfriends new Retro wouldn't go amiss :D:D:wai::P :jerk: :burp::burp:

Happy riding Allan

Hi Eggspurt,

Maybe you have just been unlucky with your choice of who you spoke to on the Tiger stand,which suprises me because my own experience from communicating with the Tiger people has been 100% positive.

any questions /queries etc were generally dealt with on the spot & their answers were to my satisfaction,

later requests for info from the factory resulted in a fast & positive response from Khun Paraya, & when he had to get an answer from one of Tigers technical staff he said so straight away, then got straight back to me with the right answer.

So far as Im concerned Tiger are trying hard & more importantly they are getting there, thats good for Tiger & even better for Thailand, the so called big 4 might just want to take note of Tigers customer care & service.

interestingly Unless I missed something im unaware of any screaches of rage, or serious complaints coming from any one on this forum who has recently done business with Tiger & bought a bike,

in fact its proven to be the exact opposite has it not ? well built bikes delivered on time, customised where required & sensibly priced, plus later on happy riders, positive responses & nothing negative about Tigers staff, their communication or their service,

I would say thats very very good for a smallish forward looking Thai factory in 2009.

& to show my confidence I will be placing an order straight after Thai New year, & am prepared to bet that I wont be unhappy with my purchase either.

Bros

mbox

hi mbox, id say you missed out the best comparison, ( for size ) the klx or d tracker, i wouldnt think any of the others you mentioned were a comparison to a tiger, unless of course you were talking price ( although i doubt it as you mentioned an er6 er, ) enjoy your bike, im sure it will be fine,. :D

hi imaneggspurt

Charlie

Tell your contact in Tiger to drop a 200-250cc engine in the TT and paint it black with gold pinstripes (preferably with the badges not glued on--I'd want them ghost painted in) and he'd sell me one in a heartbeat.

Oh and one more thing...lose the bar and go with clip-ons. That may necessitate using a different fork since the frame looks dangerously close to the front fender right now, but if he's expecting to sell a bike to this fat falang it's going to have to be a stiffer fork anyways!

Dave i have already asked Khun Pariya. Tiger want to gauge response on these bikes 1st because lets face it we falangs are a very small market for Tiger and they are trying to break back into the Thai market. I have already asked about the 250rs styled like a sr400 and he's thinking about that. I also have spoken to another expat who is considering buying a basic 250 eg no upside downs etc then redoing the tank and bodywork himself.

Allan

Imagine something like this but smaller

post-62652-1239687010_thumb.jpg

Edited by thaicbr

Dave i have already asked Khun Pariya. Tiger want to gauge response on these bikes 1st because lets face it we falangs are a very small market for Tiger and they are trying to break back into the Thai market. I have already asked about the 250rs styled like a sr400 and he's thinking about that. I also have spoken to another expat who is considering buying a basic 250 eg no upside downs etc then redoing the tank and bodywork himself.

Allan

Imagine something like this but smaller

post-62652-1239687010_thumb.jpg

Hi Allan,

There may well be only A small number of falangs currently buying Tigers products, but for sure there will be many more,

they are not afraid to talk about the product & show it off which cant be a bad thing for Tiger especially as some of the farang bikes have been nicely customised by Tiger & are visually very different to the average Police bike.

from reading this forum this fact appears to automatically invite comments & discussions with the Thai guys when they have the chance ( reported previously ) which Im sure will not hurt the Tiger sales team at all, especially as the dialogue is Positive, all good for getting their message across.

As you said yourself the Thai people are the target market not us, but chances are if we farangs are seen to be happy to purchase Tiger bikes & do say good things about quality & service etc then the news has to filter through either visually or verbally to the potential Thai buyers who may be considering a change & havent read or are aware of this forum as yet.

The ammount of mileage that Charlie ( Kano ) alone manages riding up & down the country the whole time any Thai riders seeing the yellow peril must feel there are absolutely dozens of bright yellow boxer 250s on the road.

Now if Tiger were prepared to produce a few big engine specials, interesting Hmmm.

Bros.

hi Dave,

To my knowledge tiger sold already 4 Yellow boxer same as mine to Thai bikers. where I dont know ,didn't ask. so it must be after seeing me or after the had spoken with me.

My yellow color scheme was also at display on the motorshow. Pariya confirmed me they sold already a few extra units on the motorhow.

to be continued.

i was away for a few days on my Tiger of course.....

c u l8r

Charlie

There was a Supercub buy the tshrirts, with EFI and a Zoomer, 2 Creras at the show in the Honda booth, not sure why as you can not buy any of them here?? Wish we could buy 50ccs here legal, but since we can't.......

I liked the looks of the 150 cafe bike too, nice!

I am interested in these bikes and sort of liked the 70cc Charly/Chappy looking thing they had there, as well. The electric bikes interested me as well, I wonder about battery life with them though and the styling, eh... There should definitly be a market for many clone models of those bikes here, I would think.

I would like to see them make a legal 3 wheeler as well. I would be super interested in doing a factory tour. I own a Zoomer and love the watercooled 4 stroke in it. Are these engines air cooled? They must be 4 strokes, no? One of the great things about my bike is that it goes about 40 mph/ more than 60kph and is really comfortable, lower than the Thai made hondas, and I can carry 5-6 bag of grogeries in it along with my girl. It could use 12 inch wheels and a 110cc along with a front disc and better supension though. There are many Chinese clones of it and the Joker.

I have been designing/drawing some bikes that they might be interested in making, something needs to be built here that is legal on streets, that has the look of some of the big 3 or 4s 50s IMO, going retro is not a bad idea but they need to use efi & watercooling too.

A little more imagination would be cool too not just copies of others ideas.

Kymco makes superclub clones for/in the states. There are Chinese cos. that do it as well, is that where the parts are coming from? As far as I know Kawa never built a c-type here.