Wooden Floor Maintenance

Rob5060

I had a wooden block floor sanded stained and varnished 4 months ago. They put 3 or 4 coats of varnish .

Already in about 2 or 3 places there is a slight gap between the wooden blocks and no varnish

Can I buy some clear varnish and revarnish a small area or will that look bad

If I wanted to get a whole room revarnished could it just be cleaned and more coats of varnish applied

Any comments appreciated

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
I had a wooden block floor sanded stained and varnished 4 months ago. They put 3 or 4 coats of varnish .

Already in about 2 or 3 places there is a slight gap between the wooden blocks and no varnish

Can I buy some clear varnish and revarnish a small area or will that look bad

If I wanted to get a whole room revarnished could it just be cleaned and more coats of varnish applied

Any comments appreciated

Cheers

Hi yes had the same problem recently. The explanation from the builders who put it in was that the wooden blocks were not properly seasoned at the time of installation. As a result they dry out and shrink. As far as I know no easy way around that. Yes can revarnish - if yoiu haven't used wax on the floor relatively easy - a very light sand first to act as a key and then recoat. Take your pick from the various brands, I don't know whih is best - my workers just went for the cheapest before I knew it.