2nd Extension For Marriage

Next month I have to go to Immigration to file my extension due to marriage/ support and wanted to know if I had to get a new statement from the US embassy saying that I'm on a pension and receive a certain amount of money per month or can I bring a copy of the one I used last year?

Do I also have to get another signed statement from my bank here stating anything or is just my passbook enough? I did search here but couldn't find anything that really addressed this totally. Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Kringle

Next month I have to go to Immigration to file my extension due to marriage/ support and wanted to know if I had to get a new statement from the US embassy saying that I'm on a pension and receive a certain amount of money per month or can I bring a copy of the one I used last year?

Do I also have to get another signed statement from my bank here stating anything or is just my passbook enough? I did search here but couldn't find anything that really addressed this totally. Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Kringle

You need a current letter to Immigration from your friendly banker and a new current letter from the Embassy.

As Doc says you always need the 200 baht or so fee letter from your bank branch confirming your account and balance.

You did not say if you meet the 400k bank requirement. If you do there should not be any Embassy letter involved.

You will also need the copies of anything new - passbook pages - entry stamps and such.

Lopburi 3, I don't meet the 400k mark and did't last year but supplied the notorized statement from me saying I earned over 40k per month on a pension. They excepted that as I guess with all the questions they asked the misses it must have been good because it was approved in 2 weeks.

Thanks, Kringle

[or can I bring a copy of the one I used last year?

Do I also have to get another signed statement from my bank here stating anything or is just my passbook enough?

Kringle

I’ve been using the same USA Embassy letter since 1999. Immigration told me I don’t need to get a new one. They should have kept your original the first time you used it. A copy should work for you as it has for me.

Renewed again last November and had no problem.

I didn’t need the bank letter, but took one just in case. If they want this, you need the letter and the passbook.

Terry

I’ve been using the same USA Embassy letter since 1999.  Immigration told me I don’t need to get a new one.  They should have kept your original the first time you used it.  A copy should work for you as it has for me.

That sounds logical, as pensions are usually "for life"!

You must still be alive if you are applying for a visa extension??

But logic never did play a large part in LOS.

Best to check with your local Immigration office before you apply.

Same experience,the copy of the old statement from the embassy this year was deemed sufficient;not sure that next time they will accept it,though!TiT. :D

It's s*ds law that if you don't get a new copy of certification of your pension from the embassy you will be asked by immigration for one. As I posted before, 2 people I know have been told at Pattaya soi 8 that lasts years letter will be good for this year. When I produced my letter last Nov. and asked if I could use the same one next Nov. they told me no! I would have to get a new one. :o:D

I’ve been using the same USA Embassy letter since 1999.  Immigration told me I don’t need to get a new one.  They should have kept your original the first time you used it.  A copy should work for you as it has for me.

That sounds logical, as pensions are usually "for life"!

You must still be alive if you are applying for a visa extension??

But logic never did play a large part in LOS.

Best to check with your local Immigration office before you apply.

One could actually empty out a superannuation fund by varying it to a lump sum payment.

TerryLH, which office did you go to? I have to go to the one in Bangkok but don't think I'll have too much trouble as the last time it went through very fast. Thanks for the info.

Kringle

I went to Bangkok office the last three years. Before that I was going to Chiang Mai where they told me the same thing.

Terry

:o I was told by the Immigration Officer in Alanyaprathet first that I could use my copy of the paper showing elibility for marriage in Thailand that stated my income from Sweden for the 2nd extension of one year, but it was refused in Bangkok and I had to obtain a new paper from my embassy. The officer gave me back the original, as he said that he'll fax the paper to Immigration in Bangkok. He said that I could use the same orginal paper next year and he would again fax it to Bangkok. Now I'm wondering if it will be refused in Bangkok again, as they have never seen the orginal that I possess. It's a bit of a wangle-tangle, you know, but I'll try and use my last years orginal again at Alanyaprathet where, incidently, they cannot speak one word of English, so my Khmer wife has to do the talking in broken Thai! Any comment on my situation would be greatly relieving!

Last October, I applied at the Pattaya Immigration Office for my eleventh consecutive retirement extension. Previously, I would go to the British Embassy in Bangkok for a proforma letter, addressed to the Immigration Officer, which would confirm my pension and ask for the usual assistance in granting my extension. However, this last time, my letter from 2003 was accepted in support of my application and I was told that I could use the same letter again in October 2005 but would need a new letter in 2006.

It's difficult to no where we stand, isn't it? Sod's Law it is.

• 1 month later...

Good for another year and was easier the second time. Took the family with all required papers and all they asked the misses is if she was working, she said no and then we were done and I was told to come back next month. Went back in 3 weeks later to do the 90 day report thing and then went to room 201 to check and they looked for my paperwork,signed things, stamps, another desk and sign, stamp and told you're finished. Too cool, said kop khun krup and I was gone.

Thanks guys for the help.

Cheers,

Kringle

As a retired person, I applied recently for and obtained an extension to my marriage Visa at Bangkok.

The Immigration Officer confirmed that the rules from July ? last year are that you must have at least Baht 400,000.- in a Thai Bank Account OR a Pension of Baht 40,000 per month which has to be confirmed by your Embassy. A mixture of bank cash and pension is no longer acceptable.

New letters are only required from the Bank each year if you are using the Bank Account as the basis for your application. If your Pension has changed, this will require a new Embassy letter.

Copies of the other documents, passport etc are also required to be signed by you if they are your documents and by the wife if they are her documents.

I also took the original house registration, marriage certificate etc but they never asked to see them.

Edited by ljerams

As a retired person, I applied recently for and obtained  an extension to my marriage Visa at Bangkok.

The Immigration Officer stated that the rules are that you must have at least Baht 400,000.- in a Thai Bank Account OR a Pension of Baht 40,000 per month which has to be confirmed by your Embassy. A mixture of bank cash and pension is no longer acceptable.

New letters are only required from the Bank each year if you are using that basis for the application. If your Pension has changed, this will require a new Embassy letter.

Yes, In Chiang Mai they have cottoned on to the idea that your pension should INCREASE, yearly......therefore if your letter is old...get a new one.

If you are retired and have a sufficient pension and a confirmation letter from the Embassy they are not fussed about the 400K...Not on a pension...better have it!

But in whose a/c...There is a suggestion it should be in the wife's account not yours!

As a retired person, I applied recently for and obtained  an extension to my marriage Visa at Bangkok.

The Immigration Officer confirmed that the rules from July ? last year are that you must have at least Baht 400,000.- in a Thai Bank Account OR a Pension of Baht 40,000 per month which has to be confirmed by your Embassy. A mixture of bank cash and pension is no longer acceptable.

New letters are only required from the Bank each year if you are using the Bank Account as the basis for your application. If your Pension has changed, this will require a new Embassy letter.

Copies of the other documents, passport etc are also required to be signed by you if they are  your documents and by the wife if they are her documents.

I also took the original house registration, marriage certificate etc but they never asked to see them.

The officer misinformed you. A combination of income and savings is acceptable. That is the law.