Thai Immigration

Toronto

I have just been informed by Immigration in Kap Cheong (Surin) that they did not receive my 90-day report concerning my whereabouts. I always mail it in because the drive of 150 km. on a small motorbike is not convenient. This happened last year at which time I was instructed to visit them. On arrival, I had to pay a 2,000 baht fine. I am curious to know if any others have had similar problems, particularly in Surin. It doesn't matter that I sent them timely notice on both occasions. They simply have to say "We didn't receive it", and I have no recourse.

Hi

I know of no-one doing the 90 day reporting by mail. I always thought that could only be done in Bangkok.

I have been in that same office when a fellow expat had problems with a previously POSTED TM form and I personally heard the reply from Immigration telling him to report in person NOT by mail.

If you scan the Visa section, I think the law does however state a pre-arranged/agreed representative can do the report, but I am not aware of anyone doing this succesfully.

Dave

did you send it by registred mail or EMS? It is always advisable to send it this way, so you have some sort of proof.
Yes, EMS at least you can show them the receipt and if necessary take out a print out of the tracking details available on the ThaiPost web site. That will give you a date and time of delivery and in some cases the name of the person signing for it. This is normally enough evidence for them to waive the fine. --- OR was, at least at Nong Khai anyway. Edited by bdenner

Hi

I know of no-one doing the 90 day reporting by mail. I always thought that could only be done in Bangkok.

I have been in that same office when a fellow expat had problems with a previously POSTED TM form and I personally heard the reply from Immigration telling him to report in person NOT by mail.

If you scan the Visa section, I think the law does however state a pre-arranged/agreed representative can do the report, but I am not aware of anyone doing this succesfully.

Dave

Almost all offices accept 90 day reports by mail. In fact, the immigration law states that you can do it by mail. However some offices are reluctant to accept mail notifications, Kap Cheong being one of them.

Thanks for the replies. I did send it EMS, and am heading to the post office to find out the details on receipt (or not). I have sent the form in by mail to Kap Cheong 4 times/year for 5 years. I guess 18 out of 20 isn't too bad, but nobody likes to be cheated, if that is indeed the case.

i was told by one of the men at Kap Choeng to just mail my 90 day notice a week before due date, i asked about the mail and he said no problem. I later asked the young pretty girl how far in advance should I mail my 90 day paper work and she told me never to mail it the mail is not always good and if it is lost I would be fined.

I still drive over, does seem like a waste of time driving 3 hours for a 5 minute process but it is faster than Bangkok.

I've been sending it (90-day stay form)for 5 years in Kap Cheong, and only had two problems with claims of non-receipt. Otherwise, they always respond and never seem averse to my mailing it in. However, in typically Thai fashion, they treat people differently. That is; they don't seem to have one rule that applies to all. BTW, I ran my EMS recepit on Thai Post and found they had received my notice, despite the fact that they never responded, and told me when I phoned that it had not arrived. In fact, it had arrived about 10 days previously. How hard is it to stamp my receipt and mail it back? I even provide the self-addresses, stamped envelope for them!!! This saves them a whole 3 baht. I'm sure they're not swamped in work. Just inefficient,and non-caring about their duties.

Toronto

I'm sorry but I have to wholeheartedly disagree with your last post.

The young lady at Kap Cheung has always been very efficient whenever I have been there. 1 Year extentions and 4/5 90 day notifications per year means that I have been there many times.

She is the only person that I have ever met at an Immigration office that will actually tell you if something different needs to be done the next time you need to go.

I was there for extension of stay on the 31st of March. She even let me do the 90 day thing there and then even though I wasn't due for 10 days.

I myself asked her about posting 90 day notifications. She told me that she is more than willing to accept them by post but that she did not advise it due to reliability of the postal system. Some Farangs have complained about the long drive out there, the remoteness etc. So would you trust the postal service in such a place? I wouldn't.

Also I would imagine that she is not the "post lady".

I actually go on a motorbike. 220kms there and back. Sometimes a little more as I do on occasion break up the journey home with a stopover to eat at the best somtam shop in the world,just on the road out of Surin on the way to Buriram. Makes it a nice trip.

So hail the young lady in Kap Cheung. Her name is Dow. Very apt as she is just that,a STAR.

Unfortunately some will not realise what they had until they lose it. She is taking an exam this month. If she passes,which she probably will, the she gets a promotion and a move.

Not sure what icon to use here. How about a :D for Dow and a :o ???? for the next time in Kap Cheung.

I myself asked her about posting 90 day notifications. She told me that she is more than willing to accept them by post but that she did not advise it due to reliability of the postal system. Some Farangs have complained about the long drive out there, the remoteness etc. So would you trust the postal service in such a place? I wouldn't.
This is wrong. The 90 day report is not accepted at Kap Cheong and hasn't been since about the 9th March. I had to drive a German friend there, who's 90 day report was received via the post, but they wouldn't process it. He phoned due to not having received the return slip. They said that had it, but he now has to report in person. The young lady, that has been mentioned, stated that everyone now has to do the 90 day report in person. This is to varify that you are actually living in the area. This subject has been discussed, about Kap Cheong, before on the Visa forum.

The lady tells lies. There is no 90 day reporting at Kap Cheong by post.

There is no 90 day reporting at Kap Cheong by post.

That is the impression I got too.

I have only ever found Daw to be of great help and to say she lies, suprises me.

Maybe,just maybe she advises customers not to post reports because of her personal experience of problems with these?

Anyways, I just wonder how many expats have such busy lives that one day every 90 days is to much for them to fit in?? :o

:(I will be sorry to see her go . Her collegues dont seem so friendly & confident.

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

There is no 90 day reporting at Kap Cheong by post.

That is the impression I got too.

I have only ever found Daw to be of great help and to say she lies, suprises me.

Maybe,just maybe she advises customers not to post reports because of her personal experience of problems with these?

Anyways, I just wonder how many expats have such busy lives that one day every 90 days is to much for them to fit in?? :o

:(I will be sorry to see her go . Her collegues dont seem so friendly & confident.

Dave

When I said "the lady tells lies" I have to assume that what she told 'Stevo2' was a lie as he seems confident that in what she said.

When I raised the matter regarding 'postal reports', and the fact that other offices accept postal reports, she became very irrate. She said farangs just aren't living at the address they declare and by making them come in varifies that fact.

Does it <deleted>, it just means you've returned to do the report. I told her that the self addressed envelope varifies, in some way, that returning address is still my abode. She wouldn't accept any contradiction and, for her being Thai, I was somewhat surprised at her tone. I must admit that before this I've never had cause to complain about Kap Cheong, except when the current officers from Korat were based there, in the old offices. Now they are another story.

I have just received my receipt from Kap Cheong. When I phoned after 10 days or so, they said they had not received it. I knew they had because of the trace I put on it with Thai post. Maybe by phoning, they felt prompted to send me a return slip. However, they wrote on the envelope "Next time you must come here." So, it does appear they are not keen on accepting it by mail.

Often in Samutprakan my wife or one of the motorcycle guys near our house has taken in my 90-day report, and I've never had them as an agreed representative. I think many moons ago I was told it doesn't have to be done in person. Sometimes I do it myself, sometimes I don't. Is this something that will be changing now?

Often in Samutprakan my wife or one of the motorcycle guys near our house has taken in my 90-day report, and I've never had them as an agreed representative. I think many moons ago I was told it doesn't have to be done in person. Sometimes I do it myself, sometimes I don't. Is this something that will be changing now?

Good question but unfortunately it can not be answered accurately as its a case of 'the law says this..... and each individual office(or Officer) interprets it like this ......

Dave

I have just received my receipt from Kap Cheong. When I phoned after 10 days or so, they said they had not received it. I knew they had because of the trace I put on it with Thai post. Maybe by phoning, they felt prompted to send me a return slip. However, they wrote on the envelope "Next time you must come here." So, it does appear they are not keen on accepting it by mail.

Same for me

10 days before I send my 90 day report by mail to KAP CHEUNG, they send it back

with the same notice

" Next time you must come here"

I think many moons ago I was told it doesn't have to be done in person. Sometimes I do it myself, sometimes I don't. Is this something that will be changing now?
Take it as fact. You now have to attend in person, no personal delivery service and no postal reports.

We have been told first hand from the girl at Kap Choeng Immigration Center that they are absolutely NOT accepting 90 reports through the mail from now on. The postal service is just too unreliable and immigration doesn't send things back using EMS. And if it's not sent EMS then you might as well deliver it yourself. IMO, the mailman sees a foreigner's name on an envelope, realizes there's no tip, and takes his chances on the lottery and opens your letter. Lost mail is all too common up here in the Surin area.

Oh, by the way, that sweet Dao tried to fleece me for B500 last year. I hope she gets the promotion and outta' Dodge.