Vehicle Servicing

Last Thursday morning I took my "Giant pick up" with it's massive 2.8 litre intercooled turbo engine for it's 60,000 km service to the main Mitsubishi dealer here in Chiang Mai.

This required all the filters and oil to be changed and also the brake pads needed renewing, they phoned at 4-30 pm to say they had to wait for some parts so could we pick up the motor Friday morning? We said we were going away in the morning so they said no problem they would work late to fix it, this they did.

I picked it up a 6 pm paid the bill of 5,907 baht about £82.00 they were all smiles and again the mechanics are immacuately turned out as opposed the ones in the UK who look as though they have been dipped in a vat of grease.

Now for the fans of dual pricing or paying ten times the price this is for you.

In the UK Mitsubishi have about 55% of the pick up market there as the tax laws regard these 4 door pick ups as commercial vehicles so you can claim the VAT back.

Mitsubishi make three models for the UK market, the scrubbers model, bottom of the range is the 4 Life, next up is the Animal with this one you get a few extras like seats and wheels.

Top of the range is the Warrior, this is like mine but tarted up a bit with leather seats and you can have any colour you like as long as it is black and a three month wait after paying your deposit.

I know some one who has one of these and the last time I was talking to him about these motors of course he was thrilled to bits when I told him what I paid for mine as to what he paid for his, about £8,000 more than mine cost.

If you are thinking of exporting these to the UK forget it, Mitsubishi still make the 2.5 litre for the market there as this only attracts 10% duty the 2.8 litre a bit more 22%.

My friend told me that he had just taken his motor in for the 12,000 service to the main Mitsubishi dealer and showed me the bill.

Ready? Strapped in ? OK.

£512 or 36,864 baht for less than a days work but you get a choice, like it or lump it.

If you don't have it serviced at the main dealer you lose the warranty.

So I don't think I will "sod of home" if its all the same to you.

Ready? Strapped in ? OK.

£512 or 36,864 baht for less than a days work but you get a choice, like it or lump it.

If you don't have it serviced at the main dealer you lose the warranty.

So I don't think I will "sod of home" if its all the same to you

I don't see the point of your post.

13 years ago in UK, I was earning 120 pounds a day. 512 pounds is over 4 days pay.

Now, I earn about 1200 baht a day. 5,900 baht is nearly 5 days work.

It is all relative.

5,900 baht sounds a lot for what you got done. No wonder they were all smiles :o

I just got my car serviced.

A new(2nd hand) brake fluid thing.

Power steering fixed.

Air con. fixed.

"look ma" whatever that is in English.

new bulb in one headlight.

Oil change

Wait for this:

650 baht. :o

Edited by Neeranam

13 years ago in UK, I was earning 120 pounds a day. 512 pounds is over 4 days pay.

Keep up the good work, at this rate in a year or so you will be paying your employer to work for him.

as someone that used to work in a garage in West LA and have taken vehicles to be serviced in the UK I say don't ever compare with the quality in the UK. Never seen such <deleted> in my life...buncha fukcin' gangsters...the wideboy East Londoner comes to mind.

They don't do <deleted> and they charge you the moon for it...

Car ownership in the UK is for idiots...

Keep up the good work, at this rate in a year or so you will be paying your employer to work for him.

What I am trying to get across to you is that it is all relative. I am richer now! I used to spend about 25,000 baht a month on a 1 bedroomed hovel. I can get a 3 bedroomed detached house is Isaarn for 1/5th of that. Plus I don't throw my money away like some people :o

Edited by Neeranam

Got a flat on my front tire last Wednesday (late model honda CBR150 sportbike). The local Honda dealer got it fixed in less than 40 minutes and charged 100 baht. then we went to Chiang Mai and the dealer installed an all new rear tire (okay, it's small, but it's tubeless and state of the art), changed oil, washed the bike, and adjusted the chain as well as checking all the lamps. Total: less than 800 baht, and it was ready in a couple of hours.

Mechanics labor in Texas: at least 2,400 baht for motorbike, per hour; probably $100/hour now for auto dealer. Cheapest tire, installed: 3900 baht.

Apples to oranges, of course, to compare my 150 to a new motorbike in America. But the Suzuki 500 in Texas, year 2001, had to have a 1,000 kilometer checkup, and the warranty didn't cover it: 2,300 baht. Here, it's free.