Where Can I Buy A Worktop In Phuket?

simon43

I want to install a worktop in my room, to use as a table for placing my laptop on, or for writing letters on etc. The ideal solution would be to buy a laminated worktop that has a rolled front-edge, and then simply to cut depth/width to fit my alcove, mounting the worktop on strong wall-brackets.

But I've visited Homepro and Homeworks, and cannot find worktops... Does anyone know a shop that sells a range of worktops in different wood or laminate finishes?

Thanks

Simon

Not Phuket, but I found some nice laminated tables with sturdy steel folding legs that I use as a computer desk (76x180cm) and kitchen table (76x50). They were on offer at Office Depot, Seacon Square - but they're a national chain so maybe worth a look at your local branch. The top is 25mm, square edges all round though.

Edited by phaethon

Not Phuket, but I found some nice laminated tables with sturdy steel folding legs that I use as a computer desk (76x180cm) and kitchen table (76x50). They were on offer at Office Depot, Seacon Square - but they're a national chain so maybe worth a look at your local branch. The top is 25mm, square edges all round though.

Trestle tables? That's what I use in the kitchen - two of them, white "Formica" topped with black edging. They still look like new after 5 years. Many places sell them - even Big C and Tesco, but furniture shops all over Phuket Town sell 'em, about 1,500 - 2,000 baht for a big one.

Actually, although practical, trestle tables won't be ok for my need! It's to be installed in each hotel guestroom so as to provide a sturdy (and fixed to the wall) worktop whereby luggage can also be placed underneath if required.

Maybe a kitchen unit shop might sell worktops?

Simon

Actually, although practical, trestle tables won't be ok for my need! It's to be installed in each hotel guestroom so as to provide a sturdy (and fixed to the wall) worktop whereby luggage can also be placed underneath if required.

Maybe a kitchen unit shop might sell worktops?

Simon

Ah! Yes, not so pretty in a hotel room. :D

I know I've seen kitchen worktops in stores, but as I've little interest in them, I've not made any mental notes of where. I'm surprised Homepro and Homeworks don't have them. Maybe Index? Supercheap? (not really, but I'm just trying to think of where I might have seen them :o).

Have you considered making your own? Since you sound like you need many.

I go to a woodworking shop near here in Nai Harn and get them to cut me whatever sizes i need in just about any thickness of plywood. (they stock many and lots)

Then I would think you could buy laminate in whatever color scheme you want, at Home Pro and cut strips for the edges, glue it on with contact cement, use a router (rent or buy) to trim it flush and then glue your top on and trim those edges flush. Pretty easy once you have the router and the piece of plywood cut to size. If you don't want to do it, i'm sure you could find a Thai carpenter that you could teach.

Just a thought. I used to do it for a living and many people saw me and were surprised as to how easy it really is.

That way you get the exact size, and color or pattern that you want.

Fiddlehead, I'm sure that I could do that (my DIY skills are ok)... I'll try the 'easy' route first with the kitchen showrooms (maybe on the bypass road), and then make my own if I have no success.

Simon

I want to install a worktop in my room...
It's to be installed in each hotel guestroom...

Bit of a shift shift of the goalposts there... :o

Have you had a look at some of the entries under decor at phuketindex.com/decor ?

If you need help, my (Thai) neighbor is very handy and looking for work.

Of course you would have to rent a router and probably buy at least one router bit, but i could help him do the first one and i'm sure he'd pick it up quickly. Just sayin.