Beach Road

kurgen

The roadworks on Beach Rd have taken so long now and have been left in such a dangerous state .

Surely it would have been quicker , safer and cheaper to just dig up one side and bury those poxy cables in one go.

The 2m by 1m holes that have been filled with loose fill are unbelievable after it rains.

I was nearly wiped out yesterday going over one of those little surprises,anyone heard of any accidents due to them?

Yep, not to long ago a guy fell in one of the holes they dug on the beach promenade, and died after he ended up on a piece of metal!

Big story one week in Pattaya mail, where the family of the deseased questioned how a dangerous hole could be left without any fence or anything...

Obviously nobody heard anything after...

The roadworks on Beach Rd have taken so long now and have been left in such a dangerous state .

Surely it would have been quicker , safer and cheaper to just dig up one side and bury those poxy cables in one go.

The 2m by 1m holes that have been filled with loose fill are unbelievable after it rains.

I was nearly wiped out yesterday going over one of those little surprises,anyone heard of any accidents due to them?

There has been a number of reported accidents mainly due to the poor warning markings or non existent barriers surrounding the diggings. In October a bus got stuck down a large hole which the driver did not see. There has also been a number of motorcycle accidents.

I only hope that the plastic pipes through which the cables and wires are fed are large enough to cope with future needs....otherwise the whole thing will repeat itself and that is the last thing that anybody needs.

Just another wonderful aspect about Pattaya, like installing speed bumps overnight in grey concrete about 4 inches high, no such thing as painting them black/yellow. Beach rd has been resurfaced/dug-up/resurfaced/dug-up constantly in the last 7 years, somebody in the re-surfacing business is obviously making a few baht :o

That's still going on?!

I was there a few months ago and also noticed how dangerous the excavations were, unbelievable for such a busy street in a tourist area...

Another dangerous thing in Pattaya is when they close off the outer right lane on Sukhumvit rd. near Banglamung hospital. Instead of gradually closing off the lane with the cones, they lay them out right across the lane 5 meters before a u-turn. If there s a car in front of you...too late. Your only option is the to take the u turn , that's if you had enough time to react and slow down a bit...

Edited by penzman

• 3 weeks later...

The beach road aint got a look in ...........2nd road from South Pattaya road to just past Soi Yamoto is a death trap at the moment, they have ripped the top layer off it leaving the underneath layer looking like tram tracks.........was sat in Wonderful Bar 1 (Soi Yamoto) last night and between 7pm and 10pm there were four people come off their bikes when they hit the "lip" that exists between the road that has been lifted and the section that hasnt.............the re-surfacing is due for completion early April ! So watch how you go peeps.

Sorting out the Beach road does seem a bit like painting the Humber bridge. WHo knows, they may finish it one day only to have to start all over again!

It has been an annual event for as long as I can remember.

Surely this continuing saga would have absolutely nothing to do with Cronyism Politics or perhaps it is a novel approach to resolving Thai unemployment problems

Go figure :o

• 1 month later...

There has been a number of reported accidents mainly due to the poor warning markings or non existent barriers surrounding the diggings. In October a bus got stuck down a large hole which the driver did not see. There has also been a number of motorcycle accidents.

I only hope that the plastic pipes through which the cables and wires are fed are large enough to cope with future needs....otherwise the whole thing will repeat itself and that is the last thing that anybody needs.

I've given up trying to dodge all the holes on the beach road so I have started getting my excercise (trying to lose a few kilos) by walking the other way (no not backwards)

It's a very pleasent walk down to the far end of walking street keep going past the new pier and there is a footpath that takes you to the lighthouse and then up the hill to the Royal Cliff Hotel

In the hour it took me to walk it I only saw 2 farang and a hand full of Thai's

Oh for a bit of peace and quiet, a nice breeze and no car fumes :o

Edited by Tufty

I was caught out about 4months ago when I first got here. Was riding down Beach Road at night when I went into one fo these holes which had been partially filled with gravel. Fortunately I managed to stay on and slow down a bit before I lost it, so just received a slighty scraged arm to me, and a crushed basket to the bike.

As usual were no signs or any warning of the roadworks, which makes it highly dangerous if you're unaware that there are holes in the middle of the road.

It is amazing really, all the excavations etc. along the Beach Road walk-way. I just thought things were finished, when they dug up again.

I witnessed a lottery ticket vendor who fell into a hole, she was not badly injured, and lucky since she missed the re-bar, but she made a killing in the bar.....

She wept for 90 minutes and received more tips and ticket sales than 'Soft Mick' and she had gratis meals and drinks, etc.

Beware of holes. (Except pink ones).

Wilson Steer.