25% Of Motorists Demanded To Pay Bribes To Traffic Police

george

Agree with Robert44, if you do nothing wrong, you won't have to pay anything. And then, if you broke some traffic rules and you have issues with paying directly the police officer who stopped you, you've always the option to pay the regular fine.

The real tittle of this tread should be "75% of motorists are fine with traffic rules, have no problems whatsoever with traffic police and are just happy drivers" But that wouldn't make a successful thread...

Just remember, they police don't really care about trafic law you break, they find any excuse to stop you and then get money from you

Sorry, but it seems most people agree with me here, if you do nothing wrong you don't have to worry about being stopped by the police. An other urban myth going down the drain ...

BS, obviously you don't drive a lot or do your driving in a village in nakhon nowhere.

I get pulled regularly here in BKK both driving a car and bike. Always without any valid cause, with car the most usual "offence" they claim is using wrong lane to turn, or cutting over several lines before turning left or right. With bike they always claim you were not into left lane.

Used to be 100 baht on the spot for years and when they started to give 50% of the official 400 baht ticket back to bib's they started to demand 200 baht on the spot. Lately been asked 500 baht as well. Sure you can get the ticket as well and go to police station to pay if you insist on it and are prepared to wait 30mins while they write it.

I drive for more than 10 years. At the beginning I used to be fined quite often, always for the same reasons, caught in the wrong lane, I shouldn't turn right, shouldn't turn left, I was afraid to get lost, chose to turn right or left anyway and the cops were waiting for me ... Now I know my way around Bangkok, get on the right lane on time and I've no more problems.

I also drive a lot in Isan, usually drive once month to Pak Chong, Korat and it seems I've the same experience as everybody else. The police stops you, checks the papers of the car and of the driver, asks a couple of question ... If you have the right papers and the polite, right answers, everything's fine. And now if they catch me at 140km/h on the wrong lane, I've only myself to blame.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the odd title from the news release, I could not get past the use of "...used to..." Formerly, but no more? Regularly, often?

Checkpoints near the borders, whole 'nother story. BKK and Pattaya, not really Thailand.

I spend lots of time on my bike in the left lane of the elevated freeway at 125 kph, passing police trucks. They never stop me. One fine of 200 baht in six years and 63,000 km in 5 provinces, for no helmet.

You are also saying that this does not happen at all in Thailand as you have not been stopped driving your scooter around somewhere in the jungle ? And even if it happens in Bangkok that does not count as it is not part of your real Thailand ?

Surprised to see so narrowminded post from you PB.

Sorry, MJo. I was briefly joining the chorus of Thailand-wide posters who sometimes think that other posters believe that BKK and Pattaya are not only typical of Thailand. These latter posters seem to have a very limited understanding of the other 70-some provinces. I have not ridden much in the jungle. I realize that in BKK you cannot drive even a large very fast motorcycle on the freeway or tollway. I realize that some folks in BKK and Pattaya get lots of tickets, often get stopped, etc., as they say. I was reporting the actual, real, extensive experience of six years, etc. Sorry if it sounded arrogant or narrow-minded.

Can someone explain what all this talk is of a "wrong lane?" Is there a lane I shouldn't drive in? I'm confused.
Thai law from 1966, or urban legend, restricts two wheeled vehicles to the right gutter. Rubbish. I have passed ThaiVisa posters on the left verge overtaking them on a curve. But I never rode in BKK or Pattaya, just 5 other provinces.

Can someone explain what all this talk is of a "wrong lane?" Is there a lane I shouldn't drive in? I'm confused.
Thai law from 1966, or urban legend, restricts two wheeled vehicles to the right gutter. Rubbish. I have passed ThaiVisa posters on the left verge overtaking them on a curve. But I never rode in BKK or Pattaya, just 5 other provinces.

Hmm..do you mean left gutter? Like the signs say? So we're not talking about cars here then.

Hmm..do you mean left gutter? Like the signs say? So we're not talking about cars here then.

Sorry. Yes, left gutter. It made sense in the days of two-horsepower Honda 50's. I think the right lane is reserved for cars and trucks who are passing. I use any lane I wish

Sorry. Yes, left gutter. It made sense in the days of two-horsepower Honda 50's. I think the right lane is reserved for cars and trucks who are passing. I use any lane I wish

As do I. However I find if I try to overtake a car or especially a water/cement truck on the right, they will cut over into my lane and I will either need to panic stop if there is a median, (or else do a header onto it) or cross way over into oncoming lane. OT, but once as I was accelerating towards 140kph or so southbound down beach road in Karon at 2am, a police truck pulled out of the side road and rolling through a red light. I had no way to stop in time, and not knowing if he is going to continue through and clear my path or stop right in the middle of my lane, I managed to slow to about 100 an veer completely over the the beach side curb and narrowly squeezed through a one meter space between his front bumper and the curb just as he slammed on the brakes. Luckily no one else was coming the other direction. Stupidest thing I've ever done on a bike. I was to sacred to ride for a week. (Don't anyone look at my signature. lol)

Edited by Scubabuddha

I am always bemused by those who write it hasn't happened to me, so therefore it never happens - despite the fact that far more people write of their personal experiences of being shaken down by the corrupt (or should I say, hungry and thirsty) pr1cks who put on brown uniforms and pretend to be law enforcement officers.

I don't know if you were referring to my comments here, but I was pointing out that the experience of the quoted poster (being stopped and asked to pay bribe money 4 to 6 times on every road trip) could be so vastly different from my experiences, and those of my friends for that matter. I never even implied "it never happens."

I am always bemused by those who write it hasn't happened to me, so therefore it never happens - despite the fact that far more people write of their personal experiences of being shaken down by the corrupt (or should I say, hungry and thirsty) pr1cks who put on brown uniforms and pretend to be law enforcement officers.

I don't know if you were referring to my comments here, but I was pointing out that the experience of the quoted poster (being stopped and asked to pay bribe money 4 to 6 times on every road trip) could be so vastly different from my experiences, and those of my friends for that matter. I never even implied "it never happens."

You can relax Scuba - I wasn't referring to you in particular. Have another read through the thread and you should be able to pick the points of reference :o

In 25 years of driving in SE Asia and Thailand for the last 20, I have been stopped hundreds of times. I have never beed asked diectly for any money, but have paid "fines" on many occasions when I have been in the wrong, but never paid if I have not been doing anything wrong, and have never been asked either.

Copper: good morning....do you speak Thai?

Me: :good morning yes I do

Copper: licence please

Me: certainly

Copper: thank you.....did you realise you were doing 160 kph back there?

Me: oh goodness was it that fast?

Copper: yes, and you will have to go to the local station to pay the 400/500 baht fine

Me: erm...cough...ahem...is there a possibility of paying that now as I am in a hurry?

Copper: looks up and down the road, smiles and says that 200 baht will fix it on the spot.

Me: thank you very much...have a nice day.

Copper: and you too, goodbye.

Yes I do drive fast, and my record was five "fines" on a Chiangmai Bangkok trip a few years ago. (I know, nothing to be proud of) I tend to drive a lot slower these days, and although I get stopped a lot on the usual police road blocks, my baht remains in my pocket.

The moral here is "try" to obey the law, and always smile heaps :o

I agree it certainly helps if you put a smile on. It also helps if that low paid traffic cop after a bit of tea money is a Liverpool FC supporter.

Sometime ago we were pulled over, along with other motorists, just after a bend in the road. So you couldn't see them until you were on top of them.

The Mrs was driving. I had just popped out of a shop clutching two kingsize ice cream cartons and neglected to fasten my seatbelt since we planned to stop after a couple of klm and get the stuff down.

A cop ambled over and said something to her. Then said to me; 'No seatbelt. bt400.'

I asked him how he was and showed him the bright red logo running down the front of the belt and said; 'LIVERPOOL.'

He responded with; 'Liverpool dee mark. bt200.'

Done and dusted.

Still a bit much though, since the pound had just gone into free fall.

Highway BKK -Nakhon Sawan

Police

Good afternoon sir, you where speeding

me

good afternoon sir, I'd look surprised and asked, really sir? are you sure sir? and I pointed my finger at the 110, and said, strange sir, I never go faster than that, because this is old car(Toyota Sportrider) for old man (60).

Police

smiled and ask really? where you go?

me

jingjing sir, I go Nakhon Sawan sir

Police

smiled, salute and wished me a save trip. And wave the traffic to make space so I could go on highway safely.

He did not even ask driver license or passport.

Other time in Nakhon sawan;

I entered wrong lane to make U turn. police on motorbike waved to me and make nono sign, and pointed out the correct lane.

But Bangkok is an whole different story, especially down town. I think 80% of the coppers there are corrupt.

I drive for more than 10 years. At the beginning I used to be fined quite often, always for the same reasons, caught in the wrong lane, I shouldn't turn right, shouldn't turn left, I was afraid to get lost, chose to turn right or left anyway and the cops were waiting for me ... Now I know my way around Bangkok, get on the right lane on time and I've no more problems.

I also drive a lot in Isan, usually drive once month to Pak Chong, Korat and it seems I've the same experience as everybody else. The police stops you, checks the papers of the car and of the driver, asks a couple of question ... If you have the right papers and the polite, right answers, everything's fine. And now if they catch me at 140km/h on the wrong lane, I've only myself to blame.

Just last month i get pulled over in the corner of Ratchada and Rama IV. They stopped me after i turn from Ratchada to Rama IV and claim that i did not use the left lane but instead cut over couple of lanes when turning left. Funniest thing was that where the bib were standing they didn't even see to the intersection and had no way of knowing which lane i used to turn. Naturally i was on the correct left hand lane well before the turn but was asked 500 baht. Didn't say anything, just gave the guy 200 and drove off.

With bike it's even more difficult as they tend to stop all bikes heading down the road. I get asked for the usual 200 but Thais seem to give them 50 or 100. For the record i passed one these operations just today at 12:20 and again in Ratchada going towards Rama IV.

I do agree that most of the time, especially during rush hours the bib are just doing their best to slow down... sorry to help with the traffic flow but it is very common to get stopped or see them in bigger groups in roadside randomly pulling people over to collect some "fines". I'm in my 9th year of driving and get "caught" two to three times a year.

Never been fined for speeding, wrong turns or wrong U-turns etc that i do few times a week just to save time or avoid getting lost. All these are usually done in full view of the police boxes.

This link has been posted here before, feel free to expain where the money is coming from ?

I think a lot of people here have very accurate views on the situation but that does not necessarily mean it is right to pay fines.

I have been here for four years and had no accidents although I have clocked over 80k kilometres (and that is a miracle in LOS). In the first two years I was stopped all the time for bogus excuses and my then girlfriend told me to offer 100 THB. I did and thought nothing of it.

Since then for roughly the last two years I have not paid any fines. Why? Because I have done nothing wrong... Don't get me wrong, I am not a perfect driver but I am a qualified advanced driver and used to teach it in the UK so it is pretty annoying when a person with minimal driving skills, as we all know the BIB here have, accuses you of something you have not done.

If I am in the wrong, I am happy to admit it but I will only pay at the Police station in principle.

The favourite I get a few times each week now is 'you were driving on the right lane' - well please!!! I am the ONLY guy who pulls over and drives on the left and knows the outside lane is not to hug in your Merc or BMW but is for overtaking only...

I now refuse to pay any fines and just argue politely. A copy of the Highway Code in the door pocket always stumps them and if not a quick point to the sticker in my window for parking at the Police Headquarters in BKK courtesy of my wife's cousin does the trick.

I hear all the posts here and yes, 100 THB is cheap and yes they earn so little but it is still wrong to pay if you have done nothing wrong. The only way that corruption will be slowly reduced here is if people jsut refuse to pay the bullshit bribes...

I think we all know that there needs to be half the police here and those with half a brain and hopefully less corrupt on decent salaries. As long as we all keep paying the 100 THB, they all get to stay in the force... Think about it. Corruption is THE BIGGEST problem that Thailand faces in my opinion and it all starts with the little 100 THBs here and there. They make the culture of bribery acceptable...

Remember the concept of 'right and wrong' maybe rather than 'I got away with it and for only so much'! It is so easy to fall into the local ways in a country that is 100% about money but I do believe that you have to keep your values when you can...

I think a lot of people here have very accurate views on the situation but that does not necessarily mean it is right to pay fines.

I have been here for four years and had no accidents although I have clocked over 80k kilometres (and that is a miracle in LOS). In the first two years I was stopped all the time for bogus excuses and my then girlfriend told me to offer 100 THB. I did and thought nothing of it.

Since then for roughly the last two years I have not paid any fines. Why? Because I have done nothing wrong... Don't get me wrong, I am not a perfect driver but I am a qualified advanced driver and used to teach it in the UK so it is pretty annoying when a person with minimal driving skills, as we all know the BIB here have, accuses you of something you have not done.

If I am in the wrong, I am happy to admit it but I will only pay at the Police station in principle.

The favourite I get a few times each week now is 'you were driving on the right lane' - well please!!! I am the ONLY guy who pulls over and drives on the left and knows the outside lane is not to hug in your Merc or BMW but is for overtaking only...

I now refuse to pay any fines and just argue politely. A copy of the Highway Code in the door pocket always stumps them and if not a quick point to the sticker in my window for parking at the Police Headquarters in BKK courtesy of my wife's cousin does the trick.

I hear all the posts here and yes, 100 THB is cheap and yes they earn so little but it is still wrong to pay if you have done nothing wrong. The only way that corruption will be slowly reduced here is if people jsut refuse to pay the bullshit bribes...

I think we all know that there needs to be half the police here and those with half a brain and hopefully less corrupt on decent salaries. As long as we all keep paying the 100 THB, they all get to stay in the force... Think about it. Corruption is THE BIGGEST problem that Thailand faces in my opinion and it all starts with the little 100 THBs here and there. They make the culture of bribery acceptable...

Remember the concept of 'right and wrong' maybe rather than 'I got away with it and for only so much'! It is so easy to fall into the local ways in a country that is 100% about money but I do believe that you have to keep your values when you can...

here here

I don’t mind paying an ‘on the spot fine’ where ever the money ends up if I’ve done something wrong but the speed trap on the Rangsit tollway which is a monthly sometimes bi-monthly occurrence I always get stoped and I’m only doing 70 because I know they are there and also where the guy with the camera stands.

But the camera is the key, so the camera guy sees me, tells the checkpoint cops near the toll and I get stopped.

Cop: you where speeding

Me: No sorry I wasn’t because I saw you this morning on my way to work and I saw you yesterday also when you stopped me, so I was only driving at 70

Cop: we got you on camera

Me: I’m sorry but that’s impossible, I wasn’t speeding.

Cop: how long you stay in Thailand?

Me: 1 year

Cop: ok you can go

Me: thank you, I’m sure I will see you tomorrow :o

What is the procedure if you are ticketed on a trumped up charge and do not agree to pay the fine. Does the case go to court and the judge decides or are do the BOB have the final word.

What happens in the interim between the ticket and court date? Do the Cops keep your driving license on the presumption of guilt anyway.

Will the courts be fair or toady to the Cops?

Does the cop need to testify in court?

I know it is not a big deal and just pay the X Baht, but what if ????

On a trip from Bangkok to Sakon Nakhon I always get stopped about 4 to 6 times.

Starts at 200 baht to 100 baht then 20 baht and I NEVER pay.

Longest I've been kept is 50 minutes, average is 10 to 15 minutes and then just let go.

THE HIGHWAY ROBBERS OF THAILAND.

Funny that, me too, i see it as toll charges, always there ,i just pay as little as i can as quick as i can and get flat out again, just part of living here,

Do you think any farang influence/advice will change anything in thailand you are mistaken,.you may well have got away with paying but the next thai that is worse off than you will pay up and say nothing, why ?. because they know its the way of thailand, thais hate us as it is poking our noses in and demanding our rights, but the truth is we dont have have rights, we cant own land and we cant emigrate ( easily ).bribery starts at the traffic cops all the way up to the top, .not easy to accept for some, but, its reality im afraid,.

i have a car and drive the last 8 years around 150.000 km. incl one major excident in huahin motorwy,cars cant take distance in the back,and 3 minors with motorbikes,,,,all excidents was payed,and id never payed a fine at policestation.

on the road i was maybe stopped 50 times about,, and each time i was doing wrong,like highspeed,no tax or no belt, never asked for money but i amn to lazy to go to station,and offerd the money. now days in bangkok and pattaya fines are taken at policestation and no chance to pay under table.takes a lot of time.

i had bad and good experience with police, a good one in bangkok at MBk i done something serious wrong but i dont know, and police let me go, the most worse excpierience was at midday with aminor motorbike excoident with A SINGLE policeofficer,,who was thinking hes the king of pattaya,after argument and not want talking with the insurance on the telefon,he takes out his gun and want to look me, i stayed cool,and said up to you...as he cant force me , he called the policestation,they came with the car 3 officers,, and this other policeguy left the scene already,,the 3 officers asked what happend, and than motorbike demanded nothing more, and we all can drive home.

its better the police have tickets from the goverment in hand, and payment could be made to police directly in exchange of a offical goverment ticket,,and than money under the table is nearly wipped out in traffic,,if fines stay low like now.

Do you think any farang influence/advice will change anything in thailand you are mistaken,.you may well have got away with paying but the next thai that is worse off than you will pay up and say nothing, why ?. because they know its the way of thailand, thais hate us as it is poking our noses in and demanding our rights, but the truth is we dont have have rights, we cant own land and we cant emigrate ( easily ).bribery starts at the traffic cops all the way up to the top, .not easy to accept for some, but, its reality im afraid,.

you are both right.

on the one hand we have to be pragmatic; on the other, why should we lower our standards.

only my view. living here is about a middle way i think

After the odd title from the news release, I could not get past the use of "...used to..." Formerly, but no more? Regularly, often?

Checkpoints near the borders, whole 'nother story. BKK and Pattaya, not really Thailand.

I spend lots of time on my bike in the left lane of the elevated freeway at 125 kph, passing police trucks. They never stop me. One fine of 200 baht in six years and 63,000 km in 5 provinces, for no helmet.

You are also saying that this does not happen at all in Thailand as you have not been stopped driving your scooter around somewhere in the jungle ? And even if it happens in Bangkok that does not count as it is not part of your real Thailand ?

Sorry, MJo. I was briefly joining the chorus of Thailand-wide posters who sometimes think that other posters believe that BKK and Pattaya are not only typical of Thailand. These latter posters seem to have a very limited understanding of the other 70-some provinces. I have not ridden much in the jungle. I realize that in BKK you cannot drive even a large very fast motorcycle on the freeway or tollway. I realize that some folks in BKK and Pattaya get lots of tickets, often get stopped, etc., as they say. I was reporting the actual, real, extensive experience of six years, etc. Sorry if it sounded arrogant or narrow-minded.

Passing police trucks on the inside at 125k, no helmet

are you proud of that?

the bib fine both farang and thai of course but this gives farang a bad reputation in thai police eyes and does the rest of us no good

Ive just done a road trip from chiang-mai to phuket and back over 8 days, I got stopped once near Pang Nga for speeding and in fairness i was speeding, he never asked for my license and just said 400 thb, me and the mrs both stared at him and he said ok 200thb. with this i paid him and on my way i went, 2-3 mins at most, for me its a lot better than trying to find the police station he is linked to and paying the fine to get my license back, im sure that would take alot longer than 2-3 mins. So long may it continue that i can pay a fine and be on my way.

Ive just done a road trip from chiang-mai to phuket and back over 8 days, I got stopped once near Pang Nga for speeding and in fairness i was speeding, he never asked for my license and just said 400 thb, me and the mrs both stared at him and he said ok 200thb. with this i paid him and on my way i went, 2-3 mins at most, for me its a lot better than trying to find the police station he is linked to and paying the fine to get my license back, im sure that would take alot longer than 2-3 mins. So long may it continue that i can pay a fine and be on my way.

There is a way around this.

All you need is international driving licence of somekind. When stopped you insist for the official ticket. So BiB in question will take your international licence and gives you the ticket. Next time you get pulled over again insist to get official ticket. This BiB will take your first ticket and will tell you "you pay my fine first and i will give your first ticket back".

Just keep swapping the tickets with the BiB and all is well and wont cost you a single baht. But note that you need to get regular tickets to be able to explain that you did not have time to pay the previous one.

And always remember to keep your Thai D/L with you in case of accident etc that you really need to prove you are legit driver !

Agree with Robert44, if you do nothing wrong, you won't have to pay anything. And then, if you broke some traffic rules and you have issues with paying directly the police officer who stopped you, you've always the option to pay the regular fine.

The real tittle of this tread should be "75% of motorists are fine with traffic rules, have no problems whatsoever with traffic police and are just happy drivers" But that wouldn't make a successful thread...

Absolute BS. your saying you don't have to pay the police if you don't break any traffic laws, what planet are you from, ive had to pay the police many times without making any traffic violations, i dont know who made this survey ?? was it the police :o

its more like 99.9% of motorists have had to pay the traffic police at some time or another

What is the procedure if you are ticketed on a trumped up charge and do not agree to pay the fine. Does the case go to court and the judge decides or are do the BOB have the final word.

What happens in the interim between the ticket and court date? Do the Cops keep your driving license on the presumption of guilt anyway.

Will the courts be fair or toady to the Cops?

Does the cop need to testify in court?

I know it is not a big deal and just pay the X Baht, but what if ????

Anybody know?

Absolute BS. your saying you don't have to pay the police if you don't break any traffic laws, what planet are you from, ive had to pay the police many times without making any traffic violations, i dont know who made this survey ?? was it the police :o

its more like 99.9% of motorists have had to pay the traffic police at some time or another

Obviously everybody get stopped by the police, have a little chat, then some have to pay and other don't.

It's clear I know I won't have to pay because I didn't do anything wrong but you know you will have to pay anyway and you have already your wallet in hand. So why wasting time with me when you're just behind ? Having a little bit more faith in our BIB can rewarding :D .

Edited by Pierrot

Passing police trucks on the inside at 125k, no helmet

are you proud of that?

the bib fine both farang and thai of course but this gives farang a bad reputation in thai police eyes and does the rest of us no good

You read me wrong. I almost always wear a helmet, especially when passing police in the fast lane.

The only time I went without a helmet I was on pain killers, 200 meters from my condo, on the pillion. i Gladly paid the 200 baht, esp. since the tiny Thai driver wasn't fined for being without a helmet.

My main point was that you can pass police in the fast lane on the expressway in Chiang Mai (helmeted) with no fear of getting fined.