Dog Owners Beware

ballpoint

I was away for a week and shortly after coming home noticed our dog wasn't around. I asked the wife and was told that a few days ago some men had come around and asked her if she'd sell it for 300 baht. These men go around the area buying up dogs to sell in Sakon Nakhon, where they are eaten. Big black dogs being highly prized because "they make you strong". They come around about every 6 months in a truck with a cage on the back full of mostly mangey, hairless dogs, that I hope makes whoever eats them very sick. Anyway, our dog mysteriously disappeared the following night. It wasn't a special breed or anything, just a regular black dog that we'd raised from a pup, but it was a nice intelligent dog. I still haven't decided what I'll do when they come around next. I'm not stupid enough to do something myself, but I think they'll have a nice welcoming committee of my farm workers when we hear they're back in the district.

I dunno...why don't they go to Bangkok and round up all the stray dogs there, instead of stealing a family pet? They'd be doing a service on both ends of the stick.

I'm sorry to know that your dog is gone. Not sure of course, but I think I can imagine what you're feeling.

Seems weird they'd need to steal/buy family pets when the streets are crawling with strays.

P.S. Just because they like to eat dog, why does that make them "scum"...? I wouldn't personal eat dog, but if someone likes dogs, or cats, or rats or whatever that's doesn't mean they are scum....

Edited by dave111223

Seems weird they'd need to steal/buy family pets when the streets are crawling with strays.

P.S. Just because they like to eat dog, why does that make them "scum"...? I wouldn't personal eat dog, but if someone likes dogs, or cats, or rats or whatever that's doesn't mean they are scum....

Granted, but stealing a family pet to eat DOES make them scum.

Then, perhaps the title should have been "Dog STEALING Scum" instead?

Penkoprod

If its a well trained house dog they will sell it at the local market , street dogs (strays) are sold to the food venders,

Ps 300 baht is a good price most times they just swap them for a new plastic bucket ,

Colino

PPs I gave up having pets after losing 2 myself

They are not going to eat them, they are going to sell the dogs to people (who have no idea they've been stolen) to eat.

Plus there isn't any evidence that the OP has presented that the dog was even stolen by the dog dealers at all.

To be honest it doesn't sound like they would have stolen the dog, for the following reasons:

- Why take the risk of stealing a dog from someone who care about it, when there are 1000s of strays that no one gives a sh*t about.

- Why offer money for a dog that you are willing and able to steal?

Edited by dave111223

To eat OR sell. Anyone who steals a pet that someone loves should burn in He11!

To eat OR sell. Anyone who steals a pet that someone loves should burn in He11!

Completely agree. People have the same (sometimes more :o ) emotional attachment to pets than they do to other humans. Anyone who steals a pet from another is extremely heartless.

Right because coming around trying to buy the dog and then the dog goes missing THAT NIGHT is just pure random chance and coincidence. Sonofa.... They wanted his dog in particular because it was healthy and BLACK if you missed the part where they like black dogs. Dude, you annoy me.

They are not going to eat them, they are going to sell the dogs to people (who have no idea they've been stolen) to eat.

Plus there isn't any evidence that the OP has presented that the dog was even stolen by the dog dealers at all.

To be honest it doesn't sound like they would have stolen the dog, for the following reasons:

- Why take the risk of stealing a dog from someone who care about it, when there are 1000s of strays that no one gives a sh*t about.

- Why offer money for a dog that you are willing and able to steal?

You're right, no evidence to suggest that they did in fact take the dog, but mighty coincidental for it to have disappeared at that time all the same. Bear in mind that this was a well looked after, healthy, large male black dog. There are very few in the area in such a good condition. You'll find that most of the dogs collected are skinned and the meat sold in pieces, but for a dog like this, it will be sold whole to one of the believers in the magic properties of black dog meat. I'd say that after they saw it and had their offer to buy it turned down, they may have been driving back later and seen it again with no one around and so grabbed it.

I was away for a week and shortly after coming home noticed our dog wasn't around. I asked the wife and was told that a few days ago some men had come around and asked her if she'd sell it for 300 baht. These men go around the area buying up dogs to sell in Sakon Nakhon, where they are eaten. Big black dogs being highly prized because "they make you strong". They come around about every 6 months in a truck with a cage on the back full of mostly mangey, hairless dogs, that I hope makes whoever eats them very sick. Anyway, our dog mysteriously disappeared the following night. It wasn't a special breed or anything, just a regular black dog that we'd raised from a pup, but it was a nice intelligent dog. I still haven't decided what I'll do when they come around next. I'm not stupid enough to do something myself, but I think they'll have a nice welcoming committee of my farm workers when we hear they're back in the district.

Hate to admit it, but reckon I've had roast dog once or thrice in unknown dishes while traveling up Sakhon Nakhon, NKP way. Occasionally just need to eat what's on the menu, or go hungry!

Early February the wife & I were up to Hong Sa, Laos for a few days. Map and a couple photos from the morning market below.

And February last year we were having lunch at Mahaxay, east of Thakhek with three American friends, pho, of course (better than guey tieo), at a small Vietnamese noodle shop. Being a cautious sort, I ordered CHICKEN pho for all of us. Sunee was back to the rear of the shop to the toilet, came back and asked me why a black dog was tied up back there in the kitchen. I suggested she go out to the front and check the items on the menu. End of Q & A!

Mac

post-32650-1238924599_thumb.jpg

post-32650-1238924631_thumb.jpg

post-32650-1238924650_thumb.jpg

post-32650-1238924668_thumb.jpg

post-32650-1238925002_thumb.jpg

Maybe a neighbor swiped the dog and sold it to these guys.

I once had a neighbor (not in Thailand) who had an annoying little dog, a Russell terrier, dam_n thing barked constantly, even at the rain. It wasn't even a proper bark, more of a screech, as the thing wrecked its vocal chords by its endless barking. I would have dog-napped the little shit for some peace and quiet, but didn't have an easy way to dispose of it. Where were these guys when I needed them?

At 300b/per a fellow might consider becoming a rancher.

Right because coming around trying to buy the dog and then the dog goes missing THAT NIGHT is just pure random chance and coincidence. Sonofa.... They wanted his dog in particular because it was healthy and BLACK if you missed the part where they like black dogs. Dude, you annoy me.

I suppose people should be found guilty based on 1 coincidence?

It's enough to ask questions of these men, but to straight up brand them "scum", and thieves that should go straight to hel_l seem premature at best.

It does in my book.

Dogs and cats are domesticated animals.

It does in my book.

So what about people who eat rabbit - are they scum?

Realy sorry to here your dog has vanished.Do you let the dog stray as it might have followed a bitch on heat.If you value your dog you realy need to take it for a walk on a lead unless you are up country which i suspect you are.Hope he turns up knackered after some boom boom with the local bitch.

Just a quick point about having a dog upcountry,do you castrate it or allow it to shag any other bitch and not care if it gets pregnant,as the owner of the bitch allows the bitch to stray too.If thats the case no wonder you have people coming to steal the dogs for money.

I have to ask the OP, was the dog free to roam the streets? If so, it could have been killed by a car or an irate chicken owner.

If these people only come round once in every 6 months, believe me they will get enough to fill their quotas. They come here twice a week! I find it hard to believe that they will come back the next night to steal one dog.

Have you actually noted the reaction when these buyers come to your village? All the dogs kick up a fuss in unison. They have a smell that the dogs do not like. A dog will run away from them.

You may be right, but you are making an assumption based on the fact that the dog buyers were there the day before.

I hate to say this, but have you considered the possibility that your wife sold the dog?

At the moment, we have 3 dogs at the house here,Mother and 2 offspring, we don't actually own any of them, they belong to the sister in law who is away. When we had 3 dogs here before from a previous litter, I came home one day and found we only had 2, but we had a new ice bucket and a bowl. She just said that as the youngster was a female she didn't want the hassle of all the male dogs trying to get at her when she comes into season. Thais love puppies, but many can just allow them to be taken away for someone else's dinner without any regrets at all.

I have to ask the OP, was the dog free to roam the streets? If so, it could have been killed by a car or an irate chicken owner.

If these people only come round once in every 6 months, believe me they will get enough to fill their quotas. They come here twice a week! I find it hard to believe that they will come back the next night to steal one dog.

Have you actually noted the reaction when these buyers come to your village? All the dogs kick up a fuss in unison. They have a smell that the dogs do not like. A dog will run away from them.

You may be right, but you are making an assumption based on the fact that the dog buyers were there the day before.

I hate to say this, but have you considered the possibility that your wife sold the dog?

At the moment, we have 3 dogs at the house here,Mother and 2 offspring, we don't actually own any of them, they belong to the sister in law who is away. When we had 3 dogs here before from a previous litter, I came home one day and found we only had 2, but we had a new ice bucket and a bowl. She just said that as the youngster was a female she didn't want the hassle of all the male dogs trying to get at her when she comes into season. Thais love puppies, but many can just allow them to be taken away for someone else's dinner without any regrets at all.

very good point and logical

It does in my book.

So what about people who eat rabbit - are they scum?

Do rabbits have the same emotional bond with human beings? I don't think so. If you don't understand the difference between a domesticated animal who cries outside of your door and gets so excited that he pees himself when he sees you and a cow or a gerbal which is completely indifferent to your existence, I can't help you.

Edited by TonySoprano

Realy sorry to here your dog has vanished.Do you let the dog stray as it might have followed a bitch on heat.If you value your dog you realy need to take it for a walk on a lead unless you are up country which i suspect you are.Hope he turns up knackered after some boom boom with the local bitch.

Just a quick point about having a dog upcountry,do you castrate it or allow it to shag any other bitch and not care if it gets pregnant,as the owner of the bitch allows the bitch to stray too.If thats the case no wonder you have people coming to steal the dogs for money.

Well, I didn't personally castrate it, we let the vet do that. The dog stays in the yard at night and has never wandered off before, so again, it's highly coincidental if it chose to that night. The dogs here are highly territorial, any wandering into anothers territory would not be done without a fight.

Do rabbits have the same emotional bond with human beings? I don't think so. If you don't understand the difference between a domesticated animal who cries outside of your door and gets so excited that he pees himself when he sees you and a cow or a gerbal which is completely indifferent to your existence, I can't help you.

Rabbit and Gerbil are both "domesticated animals":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_domesticated_animals

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Li...ticated_animals

Many people own rabbits as pets and feel the same way that dog or cat owners feel about their pet.

Case in point:

http://www.pet-rabbit-care-information.com...on-articles.htm

http://www.bunnyrabbit.com/price/pet_rabbit.htm

Edited by dave111223

If a dog disappears than it is totally the responsibility of the owner.

My 2 dogs are never allowed to roam outside of my property.

There is a 2 metre brick wall bordering my land and a main gate.

The dogs are considered as part of the family, they live indoors and have full run of my property.

People who are not 100% committed to the welfare of their pets, should not own them.

Edited by sassienie

I once joked with a doctor friend in the UK about having eaten dog accidentally in China. Even with farm rearing as in Korea, it is incredibly dangerous meat to eat. Can apparently catch something akin to Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease.

Nicking pets, what has this country come to.

No it does not. It makes them a thief! That is why spades are called spades