Hot Fried Chicken Franchise From Guatamela

Spelling error: should be GUATEMALA

post-37101-1238927054.jpg

This franchise is growing like gangbusters, there are lines when they open in the USA, and has a presence in China and Indonesia. It seems perfect for Thailand, crispy fried chicken that many consumers prefer strongly over KFC and Popeyes, and Latino rice.

Just a tip for franchise entrepreneurs, I think this one is going to be big internationally.

http://www.campero.com/index_eng_flash.php

Edited by Jingthing

Looks better than El Pollo Loco.

Pollo Campero (literally, "Country Chicken") is a Guatemalan fried chicken restaurant chain. Campero was first started in 1971 by a group of Guatemalan entrepreneurs. The company began franchising in 1994; since then, the chain since spread to countries in Central America, North America, Europe, and Asia.

Campero has restaurants in Guatemala, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico, Spain, People's Republic of China, Indonesia and the United States. Campero has over 200 locations, including 34 in the United States. According to Hispanic Business Magazine, overall average sales in the U.S. average $1.9 million per location, and Campero's first U.S. location in Los Angeles broke industry records, serving 30,000 guests during its opening week, even though there is no drive-through window or delivery service.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

I used to enjoy El Pollo Loco but their chicken is healthier as it is citrus-marinated and flame-grilled chicken rather than fried. I think fried is a better bet to sell in Thailand. The trick would be competing with KFC here which may be impossible as younger Thais may think KFC is actually Thai food by this point. I would imagine (but only guessing) that a Campero franchise would cost less than a KFC franchise, but really I have no idea especially considering they haven't even started in Thailand yet, and may never do so.

I see that Campero is doing grilled chicken also, and it does look good, eh?

post-37101-1238942320_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

The requirements for development are two-fold. First, you must meet the financial requirements of $500,000 liquidity and $1 million net worth. Second, you or someone affiliated with your franchise group must have multiple-unit, quick-serve restaurant management experience. These requirements are for the 3-unit minimum development. The franchisee fee for each unit is $40,000.

Maybe I'm crazy but the fee's seem a little steep for an unknown company!

It isn't unknown in the US, its got buzz there. My friend in Georgia told me there were long lines to get in the day they opened and it is packed all the time. Somebody in Shanghai and Jakarta thought it was worth the risk. I wonder how that is working for them. Whoever started the first KFC in Thailand was brave too. Did Thais know what KFC was then?

Edited by Jingthing

The requirements for development are two-fold. First, you must meet the financial requirements of $500,000 liquidity and $1 million net worth. Second, you or someone affiliated with your franchise group must have multiple-unit, quick-serve restaurant management experience. These requirements are for the 3-unit minimum development. The franchisee fee for each unit is $40,000.

It is barely an unknown company. If you had traveled to central and south america they are everywhere !!

Of course in asia they are newcomers and established in China and indonesia so far ...

remember 20 years ago when thais never have heard of pizzas .... thais are always ready for new things and knowing 'pollo campero' it might well be a success story here. For the likes of people like the 'minor group', the franchise requirements are not steep at all ...

Whoever started the first KFC in Thailand was brave too. Did Thais know what KFC was then?

The first KFC outlet I saw in Thailand was in Silom Road opposite Patpong. A very good location but the restaurant folded. The original franchisee still has several successful businesses in Thailand but not in fast food. A new franchise was granted many years later.

It is barely an unknown company. If you had traveled to central and south america they are everywhere !!

Of course in asia they are newcomers and established in China and indonesia so far ...

remember 20 years ago when thais never have heard of pizzas .... thais are always ready for new things and knowing 'pollo campero' it might well be a success story here. For the likes of people like the 'minor group', the franchise requirements are not steep at all ...

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the wealthiest many in Thailand owns 5 Star Chicken (also many other businesses).

He just started adding deep fried chicken to his outlets. I think the new, deep fried chicken is much better than KFC.

I think you will have some big competition to battle with.