Knowing how ridiculous Thai wiring can be, how do you switch off at the mains. Is it a Chang double pole knife switch or other double pole switch? If single pole, it's possible that you are switching off the neutral only. I find it hard to believe that your mains switch would be single pole, but this is Thailand.

If you have the Chang knife switch can you only see 2 wires going in and 2 wires going out? I have seen wiring where the main switch does absolutely nothing to isolate part of the wiring because additional wiring has been added to the hot side.

Whatever the cause, I would get an electrician to look into it. There should not be any arking, with the mains on or off. Jerry was hungry.

A Thai electrician?

Who is Jerry and why is he hungry?

Whatever the cause, I would get an electrician to look into it. There should not be any arking, with the mains on or off. Jerry was hungry.

A Thai electrician?

Who is Jerry and why is he hungry?

Jerry, as in Tom & Jerry... :o

"We can hear arking from inside the wall near our lounge light switch only problem the sound is still there with all the electrics turned off at the mains box. Any ideas please."

Using a voltage meter - or just a neon bulb and a resistor - check to be sure that when you turn the breaker "off", the circuit is really "off".

Please describe the 'arking' sound (or attach an audio recording), we need to be sure it IS an electrical sound. Opening the main breaker should kill all power to the installation the noise continuing after removal of the power suggests it is of a non-electrical nature.

A neon screwdriver is the best way to check for live wires as it only needs one connection (the return path is through your finger placed on the end).

Is the wall getting warm near the source of the sound? Does the wiring actually run where the sound appears to be? What is the wall material? Do the lights flicker when the noise is happening?

Take the switch off (power off) and have a sniff, you'll soon know if somethings been fizzing and getting hot.

We can hear arking from inside the wall near our lounge light switch only problem the sound is still there with all the electrics turned off at the mains box. Any ideas please

1 week later and no news from the OP, his one and only post. I hope that his house hasn't burnt down.

We can hear arking from inside the wall near our lounge light switch only problem the sound is still there with all the electrics turned off at the mains box. Any ideas please

1 week later and no news from the OP, his one and only post. I hope that his house hasn't burnt down.

Maybe the arking came from some unterrestial creatures inside the wall and he has been eaten together with the rest of the house.

• 1 month later...

Although the OP's house has obviously burnt down as never been seen again, I'd still like to add to this thread.

I heard a similar sound in my place the other day. It really sounded like an electrical arcing.

Turned out to be one of those flying beetles trapped in a carrier bag. :)

That reminds me of a recent story where an elderly man complained to the police that the some neighbors were trying to intimidate him by playing the same music repeatedly. It turned out that the guy had a musical birthday card open, and it continued to play.