Dell Laptop

Beachbunny

I have a new Dell XPS laptop I bought when I was home last summer. I can use a sim card with it for wireless internet. My computer book

of course tells what mobile phone companies in the states use sim cards so you can use those, but I'm wondering if I can use my prepaid

AIS or DTAC sim card. Would it be just like getting on the internet from my phone? I assume so, but would appreciate some input on this.

Beachbunny

I have a new Dell XPS laptop I bought when I was home last summer. I can use a sim card with it for wireless internet. My computer book

of course tells what mobile phone companies in the states use sim cards so you can use those, but I'm wondering if I can use my prepaid

AIS or DTAC sim card. Would it be just like getting on the internet from my phone? I assume so, but would appreciate some input on this.

Beachbunny

Why don't you install your DTAC or AIS prepaid sim and try it? I would think it should work if the computer is configured to insert a sim card.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/style_emotic...efault/ohmy.gif

it depends if your wireless module is GSM or CDMA

until you can give us some decent information rather than "wireless internet"

Well excuse the heck out of me. There is no need to be so rude.

I said my pre-paid AIS or DTAC sim card which is GSM........I can get internet on my phone with those,

I was just wondering if anyone had any information on using a sim card in a laptop that had a slot for one, if

it would work the same way. I am one to ask for asking questions FIRST and not just go ahead and do something

and be sorry after the fact.

I guess this definitely is not the place to ask a question unless you have a degree in the IT field.

Sheesh!

I said my pre-paid AIS or DTAC sim card which is GSM........I can get internet on my phone with those,

I was just wondering if anyone had any information on using a sim card in a laptop that had a slot for one, if

it would work the same way. I am one to ask for asking questions FIRST and not just go ahead and do something

I guess this definitely is not the place to ask a question unless you have a degree in the IT field.

Sheesh!

That time of the month eh? Like an earlier poster said, just stick the SIM in the PC and see if it works. It really is that simple.

Or yet again you could tell us if your laptop "wireless modem" is CDMA or GSM. We all know that AIS and DTAC networks are GSM but the question is that is your laptop GSM ?

But then again, stick the sim card in and see if it works. There is no risk whatsoever to your sim or your laptop.

I understand your reluctance to try the sim in the PC. In order to answer your question completely I would need to know the spec of your PC. I am no IT guru. You're sim slot in the PC is just like a phone. The answer would be the same about mobile phones. A Hutch sim (CDMA) will not work in a DTAC or AIS (GSM) phone and vice versa. So the answer depends on what type of transmission technology your PC uses. Maybe it would help if you state what mobile companies the Dell recommends?

Sheesh

The guy was trying to help you not be rude. I think its your attitude that needs looking at. I was going to tell you how to get round your problem but it may be misconscrewed as rude as well.

:o

if you turn your dell laptop over you should have listed on the base the unit the "wireless" modules in your machine - wifi , bluetooth and ???

your unit could also be using a pcexpress card slotted into the side of your laptop which is an aftermarket add in.

another hint might be to tell us what provider and plan you had used it with before - this will also tell us a little about the module you have and if the module is carrier locked.

"wireless internet" is a phrase without much meaning on its own and if people are not prepared to put at least a little effort into solving their own problems , I am not going to put any effort into helping them

I'm sorry.....I am not a computer geek. If asked for specific information I could probably find out, but just saying give me some decent information, just put me off. I am a computer user of the hate them, but can't live without them.

My computer book does not give any information about whether or not it is compatible with GSM. In fact I find it lacking in information and some information is even incorrect.

I would have e-mailed Dell, but they probably couldn't answer me either, even though I have a extended service warranty they don't seem to have as good of customer care as they used to.

The only thing my book states is that cingular and vodaphone use a sim. I've never used this laptop in the U.S., I bought it just before returning home to Thailand. There is less than a paragraph about the SIM, and most of that is a caution to check the Product Information Guide, which only gives the warranties on the different parts. The rest is about safety precautions before adding or replacing any parts.

I have both wifi and bluetooth. Dell XPS M1330. My computer came with an express card slot, but no express card. The book did tell me that. Actually my laptop probably has more bells and whistles than I need.

Longball.......talk to you more later.

Beachbunny

But then again, stick the sim card in and see if it works. There is no risk whatsoever to your sim or your laptop.

I thought about that, but after seeing the big caution, wondered if there was a risk. So thanks for confirming there is no risk.

Beachbunny

I'm sorry.....I am not a computer geek. If asked for specific information I could probably find out, but just saying give me some decent information, just put me off. I am a computer user of the hate them, but can't live without them.

My computer book does not give any information about whether or not it is compatible with GSM. In fact I find it lacking in information and some information is even incorrect.

I would have e-mailed Dell, but they probably couldn't answer me either, even though I have a extended service warranty they don't seem to have as good of customer care as they used to.

The only thing my book states is that cingular and vodaphone use a sim. I've never used this laptop in the U.S., I bought it just before returning home to Thailand. There is less than a paragraph about the SIM, and most of that is a caution to check the Product Information Guide, which only gives the warranties on the different parts. The rest is about safety precautions before adding or replacing any parts.

I have both wifi and bluetooth. Dell XPS M1330. My computer came with an express card slot, but no express card. The book did tell me that. Actually my laptop probably has more bells and whistles than I need.

Longball.......talk to you more later.

Beachbunny

Ok, I did some Google-ing and it took some looking but I came up with this:

post-20917-1239241074_thumb.jpg

It would seem that this model Dell could have 3 choices for a Mobile connection (sim card). If you have either of the first 2 than you might be in luck with something here in LOS. But if you have option 3 than sorry "no have here".

EVDO is a CDMA system and would be either CAT or Hutch so the AIS or DTAC sim will not communicate in this system.

There is no HSDPA currently in LOS so if that's what you have then you are SOL.

This is my very, very UN-educated guess about your sim slot.

Good luck and hopefully one of the real gurus can add more info.