Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

The Nationwide no longer pays commission charges to VISA on your behalf. Their debit and credit cards now incurr a 1% commission charge which will be levied on top of the Thai transaction charge. The only UK card that I am aware of that is still free is the Post Office Mastercard. I don't know whether the same is true of their debit cards.
The Nationwide FlexAccount card without debit/credit facility is completely free of charges.

Yes, but the Cirrus/Maestro/Mastercard exchange rates are apparently loaded by 2 to 3 % and will be worse than Visa's. So even with the 0.84% charge that Nationwide are passing on to customers, you may be better off using a Nationwide Blue Visa Debit Card.

If anyone could do withdrawals using both the red and blue cards, within say 5 mins of each and post the details or exchange rates here, we may all see this.

I don't think this will show anything. I have actually drawn twice on the same blue Nationwide card. The withdrawals were made literally within seconds of each other but the rates were different.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Nationwide no longer pays commission charges to VISA on your behalf. Their debit and credit cards now incurr a 1% commission charge which will be levied on top of the Thai transaction charge. The only UK card that I am aware of that is still free is the Post Office Mastercard. I don't know whether the same is true of their debit cards.
The Nationwide FlexAccount card without debit/credit facility is completely free of charges.

Yes, but the Cirrus/Maestro/Mastercard exchange rates are apparently loaded by 2 to 3 % and will be worse than Visa's. So even with the 0.84% charge that Nationwide are passing on to customers, you may be better off using a Nationwide Blue Visa Debit Card.

If anyone could do withdrawals using both the red and blue cards, within say 5 mins of each and post the details or exchange rates here, we may all see this.

From my own past experience, Mastercard's exchange rates *have* been consistently worse than Visa's.

I used NW cirrus/mastercard yesterday & got 56.87 that's not a million miles from x rates i certainly don't see 2/3% loading their,i've always found both cards to be around the same barr a few satang.

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and sorry I haven't had a chance to read all the hundreds of postings on this topic. I'm very frustrated like all of you, about the 150 bht charge imposed by Thai banks for withdrawing from a foreign debit card. My bank in the US charges $2.00 for each transaction anyways so another 150 bht is a total ripoff in my opinion!

It seems like many people are having luck with UOB and I recently discovered as well that they don't display the 150 bht fee before each transaction, although their website and the UOB bank teller I spoke to told me that they also impose that fee. Today I withdrew 6,000 THB from UOB and my US bank statement reflects $182.00 which comes out to a rate of around 32.96. Given that UOB's official rate is about 33.77 I have a feeling the 150 bht fee is there but implicitly (otherwise I should have been charged $177.67 for this transaction and the extra $5 is around 150 bht, the US Bank $2 is reflected as a separate item).

So anyone else using UOB for your transactions please let me know what rates are reflected on your foreign bank statement. I really wish I knew a better way to take out my cash from USD to THB!

"Hi all, I'm new to this forum and sorry I haven't had a chance to read all the hundreds of postings on this topic"

My suggestion would be to not pay any attention to whatever a teller or their website says and compare your actual transaction data to whatever x-rates.com is reporting.

The average of x-rates for the past two days is almost exactly 34.00 -- on a transaction of 6000 Baht, it appears that you received about US$6.00 less than what x-rates indicates. When you subtract out the $2.00 that your bank charges, that leaves a deficit of $4.00 which is suspiciously close to what the 150 Baht Thai ATM Fee would be.

I haven't kept up with the various posts on UOB, but I seem to recall that there have been varying reports on whether or not they charge the 150 Baht fee.

I'd suggest trying a GSB or AEON ATM and see what rate you get. Both of those have been fee free, so far. However the last two GSB ATMs I tried in Pattaya were out of cash. So far, AEON has been reliable.

Here's the x-rates WWW

http://www.x-rates.com/d/THB/USD/data120.html

Regarding the discussion about UOB, for the past six months, I have regularly used UOB ATMs in BKK for my withdrawals....and haven't seen any sign they've begun charging a 150 baht fee...either directly as a fee, or hidden thru a lower exchange rate.

My last UOB ATM withdrawal was a couple of days ago...same as always...close to the IER/X-Rates rate, no sign of any added fee.

Unless they've suddenly launched a new fee just in the past couple days since my last withdrawal, then it's more likely that the poster's home back is charging a foreign currency transaction fee. Some, like BofA, charge their customers who use ATMs abroad both a flat transaction fee, like the $2 the poster mentioned, plus a percentage fee (1-3%) of whatever amount is withdrawn.

So maybe the poster can check his online banking statement to see what fees have been assessed, and or talk to his bank about the details of their fees when using foreign ATMs. Meanwhile, I have an ATM withdrawal to make today from UOB, so later, I'll update here on whether anything has changed with them.

Regarding the discussion about UOB, for the past six months, I have regularly used UOB ATMs in BKK for my withdrawals....and haven't seen any sign they've begun charging a 150 baht fee...either directly as a fee, or hidden thru a lower exchange rate.

My last UOB ATM withdrawal was a couple of days ago...same as always...close to the IER/X-Rates rate, no sign of any added fee.

Unless they've suddenly launched a new fee just in the past couple days since my last withdrawal, then it's more likely that the poster's home back is charging a foreign currency transaction fee. Some, like BofA, charge their customers who use ATMs abroad both a flat transaction fee, like the $2 the poster mentioned, plus a percentage fee (1-3%) of whatever amount is withdrawn.

So maybe the poster can check his online banking statement to see what fees have been assessed, and or talk to his bank about the details of their fees when using foreign ATMs. Meanwhile, I have an ATM withdrawal to make today from UOB, so later, I'll update here on whether anything has changed with them.

I generally refer to what I call the "real" rate of exchange, which is the best rate you get for a wire transfer or a traveler's check. Same rate for a deposit of a US$$ check to my baht account at SCB

Current rate for that is 33.72.

http://www.scb.co.th/exchange/bk-txtexchange.htm

Mac

Sorry Mac, but the better and achievable yardstick to use for inside Thailand exchange rates is the Interbank Exchange Rate, which gets reported on the Bank of Thailand web site as well as on the X-Rates.com web site...

People who use the best U.S. debit cards (in terms of low or no fees for use abroad) such as E*Trade, Charles Schwab, Fidelity and some others typically get very close to the IER rate for their ATM withdrawals here in Thailand. And the latest IER on X-Rates for Monday is 34.02... That's what I want to use as MY yardstick.

The 33.72 rate you are quoting is the bank's "buying traveler's checks" rate, and folks can always do better than that....if they use the right ATM card and choose a no-fee ATM here in Thailand. Another reason why anyone with any smarts in using ATMs would find that a better option than bringing traveler's checks from abroad.

Edited by jfchandler

I will have to try Aeon for a change tomorrow. This past Monday I used UOB but found that my rates were significantly lower than the market rate as I've mentioned in the previous post. The $2 fee that my bank in the US charges is a completely separate item on the bank statement so it was definitely not part of the amount in USD withdrew from the ATM that appeared in my statement.

I also want to try GSB but unfortunately there are none within my vicinity.

Thanks for all your great tips!

I used a UOB ATM again in BKK today and no fee charged...

And I should add re the poster above about exchange rates....

All Thai bank ATM machines are going to give you the same actual exchange rate for a withdrawal made 1) at the same exact time and 2) using the same VISA-network ATM card from your home bank.

Assuming you're using the same home bank VISA debit card, the actual rate you get will be a combination of the VISA network rate for that day/time AND whatever cuts/deductions your home bank takes out of the mix, and those cuts do vary from bank to bank.

So it's a good thing to use different home bank ATM cards, especially at the identical same time, and compare the net exchange rates you're getting. That will give you a better and much more honest answer than any you're likely to get calling a CSR at your bank and asking about foreign ATM use (about which most home bank CSRs are totally clueless).

The Thai ATM bank fees are a separate, but related issue. If you use a Thai bank ATM that charges the 150 baht fee per withdrawal, it typically will be noted on your ATM withdrawal slip as a separate fee. But by the time that withdrawal gets back to your home country, many home banks have been combining your actual deposit amount and the Thai fee into a single combined withdrawal amount (which seems to give you a lower exchange rate).

I know this may be a bit confusing, so let me use a concrete example: If I take an E*Trade VISA card, and make simultaneous withdrawals first from a Government Savings Bank ATM and then immediately after from a UOB ATM nearby, the exchange rates are going to be basically identical... Because, VISA sets the network rate, the E*Trade cut is the same (virtually nothing), and neither bank (UOB or GSB) are charging the 150 baht fee.

However, if you use a different home bank card, that particular bank may take a larger cut of foreign withdrawals than some other home bank, resulting in you receiving a lower exchange rate. Or, you may use a Thai ATM where the bank is charging the 150 baht fee, and that gets rolled into your withdrawal amount by the time it surfaces back home. In either case, using a different card/home bank or the 150 baht fee is changing your exchange rate.... but not the Thai bank setting its own better or worse exchange rates on foreign transactions.

The only particular known exception to this rule is the Bank of Ayudhya, where they are doing something called Dynamic Currency Conversion for ATM withdrawals using U.S. $ and Euro-based MasterCards (not VISA)... In the case of DCC, it is the Thai bank (Bank of Ayudhya) that is setting its own individual exchange rate just for that category of withdrawals... And guess what, people using BofA ATMs with those kinds of cards get screwed...

Right now, UOB and AEON ATMs are fee-free for VISA and MC cards, while Government Savings Bank is fee-free for VISAs, but doesn't take MCs. Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial, Kasikorn, Krung Thai and many of the other Thai banks are all charging the 150 baht fee now.

Although on this last point I'm not absolutely certain, there seems to be some evidence that in general, all other things being equal, VISA debit cards (at least from the U.S.) seem to produce somewhat, slightly better net exchange rates than MasterCards... But, that certainly may vary from time to time.

I used a UOB ATM again in BKK today and no fee charged...

And I should add re the poster above about exchange rates....

All Thai bank ATM machines are going to give you the same actual exchange rate for a withdrawal made 1) at the same exact time and 2) using the same VISA-network ATM card from your home bank.

Assuming you're using the same home bank VISA debit card, the actual rate you get will be a combination of the VISA network rate for that day/time AND whatever cuts/deductions your home bank takes out of the mix, and those cuts do vary from bank to bank.

Excellent post. The Thai Bank charge of 150 Baht is totally visible. The VISA/Mastercard + home bank charge is not.

Check the small print on the respective websites. Nationwide in the UK is very clear - they pass on VISA's 0.84% charge and they do not add their own cut. This is not obvious because the exchange rate is 'netted down' to reflect the 0.84% charge and only by comparing the actual rate received and the VISA 'rate for the day'.

HSBC charge an ERA (Exchange Rate Adjustment) of 2.75% to cover "card processing and handling costs" :)

HSBC charge an ERA (Exchange Rate Adjustment) of 2.75% to cover "card processing and handling costs" :)

That is why although, I have a atm card from them, which I didn't request, I have never used it. With their poor interest rate, I currently keep a 0 balance with them.

I too have had an HSBC card ever since before I lived in Thailand... After trying it a few times here, I quickly learned that HSBC has high foreign exchange fees and usually a bad exchange rate, for some reason. My card sits in a drawer.

Sad to say that UOB appear to have joined the 150 baht fee club. At noon today, I tried to use both my Nationwide (UK) Visa Debit card and Nationwide Cirrus (i.e. MC/Maestro network) Cashcard in the same UOB ATM outside a Chiang Mai branch (Huay Kaew Road) that I have used several times before with no fee advised or charged.

Result for both - an admirably clear (and very unwelcome) screen announcing that 150 baht would be charged....... continue/cancel etc.

I cancelled and went to a branch of Tesco Lotus which has both Government Savings Bank and Aeon ATM's (along with the other usual suspects we now avoid). "Communications error" attempting to use my N/Wide Visa Debit card in the GSB machine - first time I've had this, but just a coincidence I think. Aeon machine delivered 7,000 baht (as usual, no fee) using my N/W Cirrus Cashcard (some Aeon machines seem to have a limit of 7,000 per transaction and I've taken to accepting that as a general limit so as to avoid problems).

As it happens I needed to do some business inside Kasikorn, so I withdrew 20,000 baht (Kasikorn's branch daily limit) - using my N/Wide Visa Debit card over the counter. No fee - and I expect to see the exchange rate to be in line with ATM withdrawals. If I see any different when I the debit is posted to my account and I can check it online, I'll report it here.

Edited by Steve2UK

Sad to say that UOB appear to have joined the 150 baht fee club. At noon today, I tried to use both my Nationwide (UK) Visa Debit card and Nationwide Cirrus (i.e. Mastro) Cashcard in the same UOB ATM outside a Chiang Mai branch (Huay Kaew Road) that I have used several times before with no fee advised or charged.

Result for both - an admirably clear (and very unwelcome) screen announcing that 150 baht would be charged....... continue/cancel etc.

Same with me at the UOB branch in CM in the afternoon. The difference was that although I got the new warning, it did not include an amount so I thought they are getting the machines ready for a possible future fee. I was wrong. I got charged the 150baht. Even though, I will get it reimbursed from Schwab, I went into the branch and requested my 150baht back (right or wrong) since the ATM warning lacked an amount. I don't think I should let them charge me or others without a correct "fee" warning. I filled out a form and hope to get 150 baht next week. Although, I wasn't in any hurry, the whole deal still cost 20 minutes of my time assuming I get the 150baht back.

Yes,seems UOB has jumped onboard. Yesterday I made a withdrawal from UOB at All Seasons with no fee. Today,at the same ATM, a screen appeared advising that a 150b fee would be applied. Continue or cancel option was offered.

If I see any different when I the debit is posted to my account and I can check it online, I'll report it here.

That will be great. I assume you will check the IER of either Bank of Thailand or XRate for that posted day. I have yet to try this withdrawal method since I generally only take out no more than 2K at any given time but may consider it as the "fee free" well may dry out before long.

"Aeon machine delivered 7,000 baht (as usual, no fee) . . . (some Aeon machines seem to have a limit of 7,000 per transaction and I've taken to accepting that as a general limit so as to avoid problems)."

I don't know if all AEON ATMs are capable of vending more than 7,000 per transaction, but the one I've been using in Pattaya has done 22,000, 23,000 and 25,000 in one shot on separate transactions. You still see the 7,000 limit on the first screen, but if you drill down through 5 or 6 screens, it will allow you to enter the amount that you want.

I don't recall the exact sequence of screens, but it's something like "Other" > "English" > "Savings" or "Current" ( "Current" is a checking account ) and then there may be one or two or more screens before you hit the jackpot.

It's probably also worth noting that the AEON ATM requires that you adjust the amount that you punch in for a two decimal number -- On other ATMs you could enter the five digits 20000 and it would recognize that as 20,000 Baht -- On AEON those same five digits would register as 200.00 Baht, so you need to enter two zeroes after the amount that you want to satisfy that anomaly.

I've also noticed something unusual with a GSB ATM recently -- It displays a message that says something like "Inter-Regional fee will be charged" -- Two times I tried it, it was out of cash so I went to AEON-- but I had never seen that message before.

Hope they're not about to jump on the Thai ATM usury fee bandwagon.

Edited by SurfTrader

Yes,seems UOB has jumped onboard. Yesterday I made a withdrawal from UOB at All Seasons with no fee. Today,at the same ATM, a screen appeared advising that a 150b fee would be applied. Continue or cancel option was offered.

And then there were two... :)

Yes...I can confirm that... UOB ATM in BKK tonight wanted to charge the 150 baht fee...and I said...NO THANKS....

On the way home....after UOB, I figured I'd try something I haven't done for a long time... try my VISA debit card in Bank of Ayudhya ATM, and sure enough...it wanted the fee also... So B of A also is in the fee camp...no doubt...

As others have stated above...that now leaves just Government Savings Bank and AEON...neither of which are members of the Thai Bankers Assn. which began this whole fee thing... So at least there's some home they will remain free....

PS - someone asked me today whatever happened to the discussion about the TBA reconsidering the foreign ATM card fee...after the original uproar hit... And I replied...ever since the original report, I haven't heard anything about it or any more from TBA.... Not surprising....

UOB now officially charge 150 baht and they tell you on the atm machine when you are withdrawing, i have been using UOB for the last few months with my nationwide flex account debit card and not been getting charged, but today i tried 3 UOB atm's (khaosan road, phonyothin soi 19 , and phonyothin 30) and all 3 warned me before i made the withdrawal that i would be charged (just like kasikorn, bangkok bank etc), so i clicked 'cancel', i am not happy that UOB have got on this scandalous band wagon and am seriously hoping AEON and GSB are not doing the same. I dont know of many AEON/GSB atms they only seem to be in malls, big C's etc, so this will be a bit more awkward for me as i already had a few UOB's on my daily routes. so not a happy chappy, I think they may have all decided (AEON and GSB) to join in with the charges now, so it may be time to start just transfering lump sums to my kasikorn thai bank account. Does anyone do this and have any views on it negative or positive? the only negative thing i can think of is that the £ seems to be getting stronger against the baht at the moment so if i transfer say 4 months worth of money tomorrow, i will get todays exchange rate where as if i was using my atm card i would be getting an up to date exchange rate (hopefully better than todays).

if anyones get any bright ideas/info, please let me know!

best regards,

Matt

UOB now officially charge 150 baht and they tell you on the atm machine when you are withdrawing, i have been using UOB for the last few months with my nationwide flex account debit card and not been getting charged, but today i tried 3 UOB atm's (khaosan road, phonyothin soi 19 , and phonyothin 30) and all 3 warned me before i made the withdrawal that i would be charged (just like kasikorn, bangkok bank etc), so i clicked 'cancel', i am not happy that UOB have got on this scandalous band wagon and am seriously hoping AEON and GSB are not doing the same. I dont know of many AEON/GSB atms they only seem to be in malls, big C's etc, so this will be a bit more awkward for me as i already had a few UOB's on my daily routes. so not a happy chappy, I think they may have all decided (AEON and GSB) to join in with the charges now, so it may be time to start just transfering lump sums to my kasikorn thai bank account. Does anyone do this and have any views on it negative or positive? the only negative thing i can think of is that the £ seems to be getting stronger against the baht at the moment so if i transfer say 4 months worth of money tomorrow, i will get todays exchange rate where as if i was using my atm card i would be getting an up to date exchange rate (hopefully better than todays).

best regards,

Matt

Lol, that's stealing :)

so it may be time to start just transfering lump sums to my kasikorn thai bank account. Does anyone do this and have any views on it negative or positive? the only negative thing i can think of is that the £ seems to be getting stronger against the baht at the moment so if i transfer say 4 months worth of money tomorrow, i will get todays exchange rate where as if i was using my atm card i would be getting an up to date exchange rate (hopefully better than todays).

best regards,

Matt

Exchange rates are swings and roundabouts - only if you get a real spike do you want to be moving extra money. For normal expenditure it seems to even itself out.

Recommend Halifax for their £9.50 online transfer. Cheap and easy-peasy - no messing round with paper.

Edited by Chaimai

best regards,

Matt

So GSB and AEON are the only ATM machines left not charging. For the record, if I remember correctly, way back when this charge was first imposed, UOB had a statement on their website indicating that they would, at some point, start charging 150 baht to foreign ATM card withdrawals. Thus it should not come as a surprise that they are finally charging this fee.

Because there isn't an AEON ATM machine convenient to my wife's village and because my wife has a MasterCard ATM card which isn't accepted by GSB, she has been going inside an SCB bank and using the card to withdrawal funds. She shows her passport, she signs an old-fashion credit card reciept and the transaction appears as an EFT withdrawal equivalent to a point of sale debit card purchase except there isn't a POS fee like I normally see. This has been the best method for her to avoid the 150 baht fee when going to Phatthalung town. She did use UOB when in Hat Yai so she was using that method when she went there. But living in Phatthalung where there wasn't a UOB, she usually used the method I describe above. She tried this method at both a Bangkok Bank and a Krung Thai bank. Neither of them would do the transaction. SCB has had no problem doing this for her.

As I've said before, this method works great if the name on the ATM card matches a passport that can be provided. However, we have a card my in-laws use to get money on a monthly basis. For this I set up a Capital One bank account with a Visa ATM card. With this they can get money out using one of the two GSB ATM machines in town.

So for those that have a Visa card, use either AEON or GSB. For those with a MasterCard, try going inside a bank and requesting what SCB is calling a cash advance. Only do this if the MasterCard is a debit card. Never do this with a credit card.

If I see any different when I the debit is posted to my account and I can check it online, I'll report it here.

That will be great. I assume you will check the IER of either Bank of Thailand or XRate for that posted day. I have yet to try this withdrawal method since I generally only take out no more than 2K at any given time but may consider it as the "fee free" well may dry out before long.

OK, here are details of the over-the-counter (OTC) withdrawal using a Nationwide Visa Debit card at Kasikorn on 19th August at 12.45:

20,000 baht shows as a cost of GBP 359.77* = rate 55.59

* includes Visa charge of 0.84%. Extracting that (if my maths is up to it) gives a cost of GBP 356.77 = rate 56.06

(Sorry, I can't get the X-rate page to show GBP/baht as opposed to US$/baht - so someone else can do that comparison biz. The rate is in broadly in line with what I see reported by ThaiVisa for that day)

FWIW, the Aeon ATM transaction details (N/wide Cirrus [Maestro] Cashcard) on 19th August at 12.24:

7,000 baht shows as a cost of GBP 126.55 = rate 55.31

Another comparison (between the two cards) from simultaneous UOB ATM withdrawals on 13th August (i.e. pre fee introduction):

N/wide Visa Debit card - 10,000 baht shows as a cost of GBP 178.96 (inc. 0.84% Visa charge) = rate 55.88

N/wide Cirrus cashcard - 10,000 baht shows as a cost of GBP 179.22 = rate 55.80

This matches what I have observed before - even with the 0.84% charge added the Visa rate is consistently somewhat better. Visa transactions tend to show up in my account about 12 hours after the Cirrus transactions so there could be rate fluctuations because of that time difference - but IMO the pattern seems clear.

I posted over a year ago about making OTC withdrawals and pointed out then that I had tested the rate by making a small ATM (SCB) withdrawal using the Debit card and then going straight inside to make a larger OTC withdrawal using the same card. Result - identical rates for both transactions.

While I didn't do the side by side test for the recent Kasikorn OTC transaction, I have no reason to think that it would be any different now.

Given that Aeon and GSB are now the last of the no-fee Mohicans, I have to wonder whether/how much longer that situation will continue - even if neither is a member of TBA it seems logical to expect them both to see the fee as a source of additional revenue. As I have both SCB and Kasikorn accounts (with ATM cards provided), I suspect I will start to move over to making OTC withdrawals, depositing the cash into one or both of those accounts and using their respective cards (fee free) for when I need cash.