Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

On a related subject subject: I have heard that there may be ATMs in Pattaya that allow a maximum of 30,000 Baht withdrawals in one transaction -- Does anyone know the locations of these ATMs? -- or possibly ATMs with higher limits?[/b][/color]

As I mentioned above, all UOB bank ATMs allow a maximum of 30,000 to be withdrawn.

CMMCB

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I waved my nationwide debit card at a teller at a Kasikorn branch and asked if I could have 100k please. I was told the limit was only 20k, but if I waddled down the soi to the "Yellow bank" (Krungsri) Their limit was 50k. I didn't press the issue as I had forgotten my deposit book, but I will trot out again tomorrow and have another go.

Looks like I will resume my daily 15k withdrawals from K-bank ATMs until further notice (i.e. until they start charging too).

What's the most any Nationwide Visa-Debit card holders have drawn over the counter recently and at what bank? (And was it transaction charge free?)

2 months ago

Bangkok bank

100000 baht (2000 pounds)

no problem no fee

What's the most any Nationwide Visa-Debit card holders have drawn over the counter recently and at what bank? (And was it transaction charge free?)

Siam commercial 2nd road central pattaya about 3 months ago 250,000 baht no fee, kasikorn would only give 20,000 max.

Siam commercial 2nd road central pattaya about 3 months ago 250,000 baht no fee, kasikorn would only give 20,000 max.

Same, 20,000 Baht at my local Kasikorn - no fee as yet.

Thanks for the tip on SCB - they may be greedy with their ATM charges, but they do do commission free cash advances on Nationwide Visa Debits.

I first stopped at Ayuddhya Bank near Suk33 who said I could draw a maximum of 100,000B BUT there would be a 3% (yes 3% - 3000B) charge!!! That's three times as expensive as 6.666 x 15,000B ATM transactions (total 1000B) to get the same amount.

The nearest SCB was a hike down as Suk45, but said I could have a maximum of 200,000B. Just checked online and the transaction (incomplete as yet) seems to have deducted 1938.02 from my Nationwide account, that's 51.60B/GBP (today's rate on BBC - 51.77) so looks like no charges on either end. Had to use the exchange counter, not the general counters and they took a p/copy of passport and front of card, which I had to sign and I entered my PIN into their machine.

Thanks for the tip on SCB - they may be greedy with their ATM charges, but they do do commission free cash advances on Nationwide Visa Debits.

I first stopped at Ayuddhya Bank near Suk33 who said I could draw a maximum of 100,000B BUT there would be a 3% (yes 3% - 3000B) charge!!! That's three times as expensive as 6.666 x 15,000B ATM transactions (total 1000B) to get the same amount.

The nearest SCB was a hike down as Suk45, but said I could have a maximum of 200,000B. Just checked online and the transaction (incomplete as yet) seems to have deducted 1938.02 from my Nationwide account, that's 51.60B/GBP (today's rate on BBC - 51.77) so looks like no charges on either end. Had to use the exchange counter, not the general counters and they took a p/copy of passport and front of card, which I had to sign and I entered my PIN into their machine.

That great to know the prosess cheers

Also that rate is very close to these rates.

BankCountryUpdated by bankUpdate no.FromToRateInverse of rateChart Bangkok BankThailand2009-04-23 05:55 (144 min ago)2GBPTHB51.50.0194175Chart Siam City BankThailand2009-04-23 05:41 (158 min ago)2GBPTHB51.50.0194175Chart Siam Commercial BankThailand2009-04-23 06:19 (120 min ago)

GBPTHB51.49250.0194203Chart Kasikorn BankThailand2009-04-23 06:28 (111 min ago)2GBPTHB51.4450.0194382Chart Thanachart BankThailand2009-04-23 05:49 (150 min ago)4GBPTHB51.440.0194401Chart Bank ThaiThailand2009-04-23 06:40 (99 min ago)2GBPTHB51.430.0194439Chart TMBThailand2009-04-23 08:00 (19 min ago)

GBPTHB51.426250.0194453Chart Bank of AyudhyaThailand2009-04-23 06:55 (84 min ago)4GBPTHB51.4150.0194496Chart UOBThailand2009-04-22 17:003GBPTHB51.3670.0194678Chart Krung Thai BankThailand2009-04-23 01:22

GBPTHB51.16250.0195456Chart Percentage difference between minimum and maximum exchange rates above = 0.66% Average bank exchange rate from data above: 1 GBP = 51.417825 THB

This should be in the news section just because it affects so many people who might be caught without warning.

Not going to do much good hiding away in the jobs, economy section even though it has relevance here.

Very good point come on George can we do this Thanks

NAME THEM AND SHAME THEM

Bangkok Bank

Siam Commercial Bank (SCB)

Thai Military Bank

Siam City Bank

Krung Thai Bank

Maybe if EVERYONE starts going to Kasikorn and Bank of Ayudhaya they will notice that their business increases and won't jump on the bandwagon

Everyone please KEEP REPORTING

Betchya that 99% of you don't move from Thailand because of this. And that is why the banks are doing this: Cause they know your addictions to the 'attractions' of Thailand will mean you stay here.

The tourism market collapsing? Hardly. People on holiday expect this kind of stuff as a matter of course these days.

Good thing for Thailand overall, bringing more FX, not less.

Betchya that 99% of you don't move from Thailand because of this. And that is why the banks are doing this: Cause they know your addictions to the 'attractions' of Thailand will mean you stay here.

The tourism market collapsing? Hardly. People on holiday expect this kind of stuff as a matter of course these days.

Ever the apologist eh Samran?

Banks make billions on investments and literally gamble with customer's money. But that isn't enough apparently, they have to get their claws into foreigners' pockets, the majority who will be tourists and use the ATM on a daily basis.

In addition, the majority of foreigners already pay overseas ATM charges and currency conversion charges courtesy of their own banks so these additional charges just to use a simple electronic machine of which the Thai bank is being paid for already are ludicrous.

There's no excuse for 150thb. It's a blatant rip-off.

I read a story on MSNBC recently that explained how credit card companies (in the US) are going through customer bases and sending cancellation notices to those customers who don't use their credit cards enough.

Normally, I wire a month's chunck once a month to my Thai bank and only use my credit card for emergencies or when I'm in a pinch. I recognize that I'm not a cash cow for my bank's credit bureau, but this fee will make me more unlikely to use my credit card.

If I'm caught short, I'll walkabout to find an ATM rather than use my credit card.

Has anyone had a credit card cancelled due to low usage?

NAME THEM AND SHAME THEM

Bangkok Bank

Siam Commercial Bank (SCB)

Thai Military Bank

Siam City Bank

Krung Thai Bank

Maybe if EVERYONE starts going to Kasikorn and Bank of Ayudhaya they will notice that their business increases and won't jump on the bandwagon

Everyone please KEEP REPORTING

Went to Bangkok Bank yesterday it worked, but today they wanted 150 Baht charge. Just went to Bank of Ayudhaya and no charge. Thanks for the tip. (they only let you take 20000 at a time from the ATM, but no withdrawal charge) 8:30pm Thursday.

Betchya the majority of us who live here will use wire transfers and THAI Banks won't get a cent out of it

Betchya as soon as the word get's out to Tourists they will start bringing Travellers Checks, THAI Banks won't get a cent out of it AND WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE PROCESSING of the paper checks

Any more Betchya's !!!

Went to Bangkok Bank yesterday it worked, but today they wanted 150 Baht charge. Just went to Bank of Ayudhaya and no charge. Thanks for the tip. (they only let you take 20000 at a time from the ATM, but no withdrawal charge) 8:30pm Thursday.

kurtgruen, did you get some kind of pre-warning then?

Thing is, I now recaII a screen msg coming up about "no receipt" (some msg aIong those Iines), but didnt reaIIy pay weII enough attention. I assumed the atm was out of paper. But, then when i cIicked to get my money, a receipt popped out anyway, aIong with the charge.

Sorry guys, now that i rethink, i may indeed have received some kind of warning, but in aII honesty it wasnt obvious. I do not recaII seeing anything saying "You wiII be charged 150 baht for this transaction" THAT i wouId have certainIy noticed.

Anyone know what BB atm screen comes up with then?

Anyway, hopefuIIy kbank wiII stay with no fee.

I have a Nationwide cash card free withdrawls all over the world except Thailand now!

What is my best option now, bring cash sterling to Thailand and exchange that there or can i use my cash card inside the bank and withdraw for free there?

I may be wrong here, but I don't think you can use the cash card over the counter, (Visa Debit or Credit card, yes. Cash card, no.) only in the ATM.

I may be wrong here, but I don't think you can use the cash card over the counter, (Visa Debit or Credit card, yes. Cash card, no.) only in the ATM.

thecatman, I think that we are once again in a game of semantics about the debit cards, cash card, ATM cards, etc.

There have been several sub threads to this threads where some of the posters have talked exclusively about getting cash out of the exchange desk using their foreign "cards" to circumvent the new fee

So I am not going to say you are wrong but it appears that if you can use it in an ATM machine you can use it at the counter regardless of what it is called

thecatman, I think that we are once again in a game of semantics about the debit cards, cash card, ATM cards, etc.

There have been several sub threads to this threads where some of the posters have talked exclusively about getting cash out of the exchange desk using their foreign "cards" to circumvent the new fee

So I am not going to say you are wrong but it appears that if you can use it in an ATM machine you can use it at the counter regardless of what it is called

We could really do with a Nationwide cash card holder confirming this one way or the other (if only for the sake of notasmartassknowitallfarag). I was led to believe that the Nationwide cash card cannot be used to pay for goods in a shop/online etc. Therefore I assumed it could not be used to 'purchase' cash over the counter as the basic procedure is the same. i.e card swiped, charge made.

Edited by thecatman

Just got off the phone with the Nationwide, the guy had just got off a call from a unhappy customer in Thailand who had seen this charge on the receipt, but until i rang they had no explanation for him as to what the charge was now a memo is going to all Nationwide helpline staff as they now know whats going on in Thailand.

I had a chat with him regards the cash card & he was not sure but thinks it would not work due to the fact that the terminals in the bank use the same network as shops use for card use & Nationwide specify no instore use or online use.

Alls i say is notasmartassknowitallfarag nips in to Bangkok Bank & gives it a try nothing to lose really as this guy at Nationwide said.

We could really do with a Nationwide cash card holder confirming this one way or the other (if only for the sake of notasmartassknowitallfarag). I was led to believe that the Nationwide cash card cannot be used to pay for goods in a shop/online etc. Therefore I assumed it could not be used to 'purchase' cash over the counter as the basic procedure is the same. i.e card swiped, charge made.

Are these counter transactions treated the same way as a purchase or cash advance? If I use my ATM at a store, I'm usually charged a $0.25 fee in the US. I've never before heard of using an ATM card to withdrawal money from a bank by going to a bank counter. Is this practice common throughout the world? Would this be done in your home country? I don't think US banks do this, but I could be wrong.

This is something that would work for me when I vacation in Thailand this summer. I guess I will try it at that time if all the banks are charging the 150 baht fee.

Are these counter transactions treated the same way as a purchase or cash advance? If I use my ATM at a store, I'm usually charged a $0.25 fee in the US. I've never before heard of using an ATM card to withdrawal money from a bank by going to a bank counter. Is this practice common throughout the world? Would this be done in your home country? I don't think US banks do this, but I could be wrong.

This is something that would work for me when I vacation in Thailand this summer. I guess I will try it at that time if all the banks are charging the 150 baht fee.

This, indeed used to be the standard way of using cards to get cash, before there was an ATM on every street corner almost.

The trouble is we have "advanced" to a system tailor made for fraud (and now......charges)

I am left wondwering how long it will be before even THIS method incurs a charge.

I HOPE never, i suspect i hope in vain :o

Penkoprod

The UK banks have used this over the counter in the Bank system for years

Edited by Mali1964

Ever the apologist eh Samran?

Banks make billions on investments and literally gamble with customer's money. But that isn't enough apparently, they have to get their claws into foreigners' pockets, the majority who will be tourists and use the ATM on a daily basis.

In addition, the majority of foreigners already pay overseas ATM charges and currency conversion charges courtesy of their own banks so these additional charges just to use a simple electronic machine of which the Thai bank is being paid for already are ludicrous.

There's no excuse for 150thb. It's a blatant rip-off.

I take it from your post you aren't leaving then?