Ais 3g In Bkk

goofie

No where in the coverage area does it mention it's only in Chaing Mai under the heading of 3G coverage area. There are more sign up place in Bangkok, and the 3G sim must be activated before April 08 2009 to get the promotion. Why would a copmpnay in their right mind do that if they have no service signal in Bangkok? Surley they are not that stupid and are trying to rip us off?

:o

Be the first to sign up for 3G service at Central World, Siam Paragon and in Chiangmai. Step over to a new realm of technology and experience Hi-Speed Data Service with data transfer capacity up to 7200 kbps, 45 times faster than normal telephone standard. With 3G service, download of information and various applications has never been easier. 3G service also brings video calling right to your mobile phone. Give your friend a call and see where your friend is hanging out.

To enjoy these call rate and exclusive privileges, your One-2-Call! 110 Baht 3G SIM must be activated during April 1st - 8th, 2009.

One-2-Call! 3G SIM Outlets and 3G Coverage Areas

1. AIS Shop and AIS Serenade Club in Glass Elevator Zone on the 4th Floor at Central World Department Store.
  2. AIS Future World on the 4th Floor and AIS Serenade Club and AIS Mini Shop on the 3rd Floor at Siam Paragon Department Store.
  3. AIS Shops and Telewiz Shops in Chiangmai.

Edited by goofie

It llooks like we now have AIS 3G in BKK.

http://www.12call.ais.co.th/en/Content/Simcard/sim3G.html

Anyone have more info?

This would be great for broadband.

Anyone in the know?

AIS, Thailand's leading mobile operator, has become the first in the country to offer 3G services over an HSPA network in the capital of Bangkok. The operator began testing its 3G network in the northern province of Chiang Mai in May 2008 before its decision to commercially offer the service, which is expected to reach a third province, Chon Buri in early 2009. AIS customers using the service are being offered wireless high-speed internet and can download multimedia data speeds some 30 times faster than the existing network.

Source

To know if your phone/pda is compatible, you have to check the specs for the HSDPA frequencies supported.

AIS is on 900 Mhz, which very very few devices support.

The Nokia n95 supports only 2100 Mhz for most versions, the American version supports 850 Mhz and 1900 Mhz, so no luck on AIS!

• 1 month later...

It's only a small trial network they have. Odd site here and there in BKK and something like 30+ in Chiang Mai. And as Monty said it's build over 900MHz which you do not have that many phones working on it. Also it is sharing with existing 2G over 900MHz so their capasity is limited. Voice calls go via 2G no probs and for data you would need city wide coverage with HSPA for it to be usefull. So all just marketing hype and being first one to offer services that work in theory in and around of few telewiz shops.

Licences for usual 2100MHz frequencies are not out yet and frankly no one knows if they ever will be released. It's been "in couple of months" for about 6 or more years now... Actually they just should skip building the 3G infra all together and go direct for LTE (meaning Long Term Evolution or 4th generation or 4G). LTE is being deployed now in first bigger scale trial networks in Europe and Japan will follow closely. This will be the technology in couple of years for data transfer.

Any idea what phones work on AIS's 3G? I have an N95.

My Nokia 6121 does and I have been using it on 900 and 2100 in New Zealand on the Vodafone 3G network expansion for test calling my field techs.

Haven't found any where in Bangkok yet though I am staying out at Sukhumvit 101/1.

Edited by billd766

• 3 months later...
hmm strange...... 900mhz.... thats on 2G band on N95-2

the idea is to recycle a frequency which they already have a license for, ie the 900mhz 2G band.

the problem with this is that most phones support 3G on that frequency, so I am surprised that AIS is even trying. without cool phones, you don't get customers, it's as simple as that. I guess the HTC Magic isn't all bad but it's a rather limited selection...