Can Anyone Confirm>>

My daughter was born in Thailand and holds a British passport, as yet unstamped becacuse she has never left the country. We will visit England and return in April.

I have been told that youngsters under 7 years old only need to get a visa on entry and then can stay as long as is needed as overstay is not charged for them.

Can anyone confirm/deny/make any useful suggestions?

many thanks

Ian

The facts are corect as you state them. A child under seven is not charged for overstay.

I have heard that some International schools (even kindergartens) require enrolled students to have valid visas - something to think about.

Depending on if you have diplomatic status, your daughter probably holds automatic Thai citizenship. If you bring her in on a British passport, I believe that -as a Thai citizen - she can get an automtaic one year entry permit extension to any non-immigrant visa upon presentation at Suan Phlu of her British passport and Thai citizenship documents (birth certificate, tabiien bahn). I know this is true for adult dual citizens - I am not certain about minor children.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

If your wife is a Thai national, then you should get your daughter a Thai Passport. She can then depart and re-enter Thailand as a Thai national. There will be no need to get her a visa for her return and there will be no overstay issues.

What would happen if the kids enter with their Foreign Passports and leave with their Thai passports ?

Dunno, never tried it.

My guess would be that if the kids entered on the foriegn passports, then they should leave on the foreign passports next time they go anywhere. If they are under 7, then you won't have to worry about the overstay fine (if applicable).

The next time they enter, they should enter on their Thai PP's.

My wife is not Thai and we cannot get a Thai passport for my daughter.

I am still unclear on the overstay for under sevens situation, although many people have said this is true; immigration in Bangkok have failed to reply to my question about this and the Thai Consulate in Cardiff made the following comment: "Not aware of any exclusions from visa for children under seven".

Does anyone know where I can get written conformation of this no-overstay for kids thing????

Many thanks

What would happen if the kids enter with their Foreign Passports asnd leave with their Thai passports ?

I don't know what they do in Thailand, but i had a similar situation in Hong Kong, and i simply went to the immigration in HK and had the stamp in my foreign passport cancelled - i'm sure that Thailand has a similar cancellation stamp, and it is unlikely that you would be charged or anything for overstay because you are a Thai citizen.

Last summer my son overstayed his visa (15 years old) and he only have to go to a very nice and friendly lady who give him a stamp in his passport and we where able to leave without to pay a fine.

They told me That this is a new rule fore children up to 16, that they are not responsible for over staying.

(I have to pay).

Unless I am mistaken, there are two questions here:

Will my daughter be fined (overstay) when she leaves = No

Will my daughter be able to come back on a 30 day visa and stay indefinately = No

If your daughter comes back on a 30 day visa (visa exempt) then she will legally only be permitted to stay in Thailand for 30 days. Even though she will not have to pay an overstay fine when she leaves, this does not make her legally entitled to remain in Thailand beyond the visa limit.

Greetings

Sorry but I've got some different information about the chidren's age.

My son was born in Thailand in 1998 and he's going to be seven early this year.

So long ago, I asked to my embassy and I've got a letter from the embassador himself who has written clearly that:

Children born in Thailand are not required to hold a visa untill the last day of their 7th year with the condition of not having left Thailand.

Some immigration officers confirm that, some say they don't really know, and some say that it's seven years.

Even if some officers say the limit is seven years, they never say whether it's the first day or the last day of this 7th year.

I won't be abble to reply to any posts for few days as I'm going to my embassy in Bangkok to be sure about all. I'll keep you informed.

I do think anyone is concerned with this matter shoud write a registred letter to his embassador or consul. It's the best way to get an answer and for your children to be protected by your embassy.

Well I have a soon 4 month daughter who holds a Swedish passport. Her mother is Thai, so we are going to get her a thai PP as well.

When her 30 day visa was nearing its end (I have a Non-imm type O myself) we took a trip to the Myanmar border, just to be on the safe side.

The thai border guard told us that is was a waste of money to cross the border (as they would charge us 500 THB/person), since there is no penalty for her staying beyond those 30 days.

When we went to Finland for a quick trip, they stopped us at the PP control, and we had to go to the overstay desk. They stamped her passport with overstay, and that was the end of it.

When we came back, they did not say anything about the overstay

So even though it might not be 100% legal, children overstaying (with their parents of course) are tolerated

If she is also Thai you might consider getting her a Thai passport and using that to exit/enter Thailand and just use the British to enter/exit UK.

Actually, in a strange situation my Thai wife was charged overstay. We originally came for a fortnight,so she entered on her British passport. We stayed for 31 days.

:o

If she is also Thai you might consider getting her a Thai passport and using that to exit/enter Thailand and just use the British to enter/exit UK.

Actually, in a strange situation my Thai wife was charged overstay. We originally came for a fortnight,so she entered on her British passport. We stayed for 31 days.

:o

It would be wise to use the Thai PP next time she enters the country, can potentially save a lot of hassels on the overstay front!!

I can confirm it----many times over-----

My 3 year old was born in Thailand of foreign parents. On his first exit from Thailand, I had to take my birth certificate with us. They notate numbers from the birth certificate in the passport. (They did the same for my 1 year old).

When he came back, he always got a 30 day stamp and he only crossed back out every 60 to 90 days. When he would cross out, they sent us to a special office(Da Nok/Sadao and Padang Besar crossings) where they notated in his passport that he exited without a fine because he was underage, early notations mentioned 7 years of age, later ones said 14 years of age.

My son has about 7 or 8 notations like that in his passport.......

I can confirm it----many times over-----

My 3 year old was born in Thailand of foreign parents. On his first exit from Thailand, I had to take my birth certificate with us. They notate numbers from the birth certificate in the passport. (They did the same for my 1 year old).

When he came back, he always got a 30 day stamp and he only crossed back out every 60 to 90 days. When he would cross out, they sent us to a special office(Da Nok/Sadao and Padang Besar crossings)  where they notated in his passport that he exited without a fine because he was underage, early notations mentioned 7 years of age, later ones said 14 years of age.

My son has about 7 or 8 notations like that in his passport.......

Thankyou, would you have any idea where I could get the official line on this in writing?

Greetings

I've got an answer from my embassy.

They said the first letter was right but that I've misunderstood the meaning. They said to me that when my son is going to be seven, it'll be in fact his eighth anniversary... :o

Following that, I asked to the immigration again and again and they just say "no problem, we do what we want.....If we'd like to charge for an overstay, we'd do it and if we'd like to give you only one day to leave, we can as well.....but don't worry..."

Nothing really new but finally not any clear answers

My wife is not Thai and we cannot get a Thai passport for my daughter.

This statement is not true.

See this reference quoted in another similar post in the last week.

The "reference" has a very important preamble however where we find the word "possibility" and the reference to a person born of a father or mother "of Thai nationality".

According to the Thai Nationality Act (2535 B.E.), it has opened a possibility for a person, born of a father or a mother of Thai nationality, whether within or outside the Thai Kingdom, to acquire Thai nationality.
Edited by lopburi3