Rehydrating Dried Mushrooms

NguuMuu

Hello all,

I happened across a few bags of dehydrated mushrooms and was wondering the best way to rehydrate them. There are two dishes we plan to make. One is to use the mushrooms in a clear broth soup (gaeng juut). The other is to make a mushroom salad (yam hed). How should I go about rehydrating these mushrooms?

I have read to let them sit in hot water for 10 minutes then squeeze them out and they should be ready, although the water would have most of the flavor.

I have also read to let them sit in cold water for an hour to retain most of the flavor.

We also thought about boiling them to get them nice and soft for the yam (salad).

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I don't have access to fresh mushrooms at the moment. The mushrooms are labeled white fungus (the big spongy looking ones), small mushrooms (the normal looking ones), and thai black fungus (I think the mouse ear mushrooms).

Just soak in enough warm water to cover them.Put a plate or something to hold them under the water,because they will float.Depending on the mushroom and how old they are will determane how long to soak,from 10-30 minutes.Yes squeeze out the excess water and use it in the reciepe.

Just to let anyone that's interested know, we successfully prepared the mushrooms by doing the 15 minute water soak and then a squeeze. We then let them site for about 2 hours until use where we gave them a quick 3 minute boil. Most of the mushrooms were fine although a few were slightly rubbery.