Security Center Disabled

francois

hi'

here is a surprising news ... for some :o

Norton and McAfee "treat"("manipulate") the SP2 of XP

According to tests of PC World, certain software of computer security would deactivate temporarily the Center of security of the " service pack " 2 so that he indicates that virus signatures are up to date.

Introduced by the " service pack " 2 of the Windows XP, the Centre of security is a panel which allows to control several features relative to the computer security, notably the check of the updates of signatures of the antivirus software.

Now, according to tests realized by PC World, this panel of Windows XP would indicate, wrongly, that signatures are up to date during the installation of the cases of security " internet Security Norton on 2005 " of Symantec and " internet Security Suite on 2005 " of McAfee.

World PC explains this phenomenon by a deactivation of the Centre of security during the installation of these cases, a "manipulation" realized deliberately by these editors so that their customers are disturbed by an alert considered useless. This feature would however be reactivated after the first update of these software but, meanwhile, certain users could have the false impression to be safe while their antivirus software is not capable of detecting the last threats of internet.

Besides, the article of PC World notices that the other cases of security, notably " internet Security PC-cillin on 2005 " of Trend Micro and " internet Security on 2005 " of F-Secure, indicate at once after their installation that virus signatures are there not up to date.

[translated with prompt5]

choose a good non-invading antivirus ... as we already said :AVG free the best:)

francois

hi'

here is a surprising news ... for some :o

Norton and McAfee "treat"("manipulate") the SP2 of XP

According to tests of PC World, certain software of computer security would deactivate temporarily the Center of security of the " service pack " 2 so that he indicates that virus signatures are up to date.

Introduced by the " service pack " 2 of the Windows XP, the Centre of security is a panel which allows to control several features relative to the computer security, notably the check of the updates of signatures of the antivirus software.

Now, according to tests realized by PC World, this panel of Windows XP would indicate, wrongly, that signatures are up to date during the installation of the cases of security " internet Security Norton on 2005 " of Symantec and " internet Security Suite on 2005 " of McAfee.

World PC explains this phenomenon by a deactivation of the Centre of security during the installation of these cases, a "manipulation" realized deliberately by these editors so that their customers are not disturbed by an alert considered useless. This feature would however be reactivated after the first update of these software but, meanwhile, certain users could have the false impression to be safe while their antivirus software is not capable of detecting the last threats of internet.

Besides, the article of PC World notices that the other cases of security, notably " internet Security PC-cillin on 2005 " of Trend Micro and " internet Security on 2005 " of F-Secure, indicate at once after their installation that virus signatures are there not up to date.

[translated with prompt5]

choose a good non-invading antivirus ... as we already said :AVG free the best:)

francois

Hi Francois!

The article you are referring to is this one, I believe: http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,118979,00.asp

I recently installed Norton Internet Security 2005 - just for the anti-virus function - and immediately after the installation completed, I was instructed to perform a "Live Update" in order to get the latest anti-virus files and any other updated files. This I did and had to wait while 17 MB of updates came down! And the automatic "Live Update" function has worked since then, too, so I'm fairly happy that all is working normally.

However, the biggest problem I had was caused by clicking "Yes" to the question "Do you want NIS 2005 to be integrated into your email client", which is required for the anti-spam function. Because of that, every time I clicked on an email in my inbox, I had to wait between 10 and 15 seconds for the email to be displayed. And I could find no option to "un-integrate" it. So I un-installed the lot, and re-installed the lot - but this time I did not click "Yes" to the email integration question. Now my email opens immediately as usual. And I've turned off the anti-spam function (I get none on my gmail account anyway, but a little on my Hotmail account).

The last strange quirk I have is that after booting my PC, two Norton tasks run at maximum CPU usage for 3 or 4 minutes - CCEVTMGR.exe and CCAPP.exe. It's not a major problem - just a little irritation that delays my use of the PC.

P.S. I think you missed out the word "not" in your post - I've put it in (in red) in my quote of your post.

hi'

The last strange quirk I have is that after booting my PC, two Norton tasks run at maximum CPU usage for 3 or 4 minutes - CCEVTMGR.exe and CCAPP.exe. It's not a major problem - just a little irritation that delays my use of the PC.

P.S. I think you missed out the word "not" in your post - I've put it in (in red) in my quote of your post.

yop right thanks :D

busy day today :D

norton problems ... you know what? I was so tired of it, that I changed to AVG ..

in any uninstall I did there are always keys left behind, and not one or two, more than a dozen, under norton and symantec ... it takes a bit of time to clean the registry :D

it looks like that any option that is set on can't be totaly reversable to off ...

as live update, or like you mention mail-scan ... (bugs)

and at the boot the system looks for the key that are supposed to launch something and others (CCAPP.exe is the main one of NAV), but if an option was set to yes, and then turn back to no(whatever the way), the key still exist and then disturb the boot process :D (bugs)

only one solution, when uninstall, have to get rid of all keys that belong to norton, symantec, live update, and may be some more keywords I missed ...

use regclean is not enough ...

for example the license for update stay in the registry, just try to reinstall NAV 6 month after, it will give you the original date of install and with the time limit of updates :D

why some people pay for such a buggy program that you can't even erase from your system without a lot of traces ? :o

let's go for free progs, they work fine and satisfy everybody :D

francois