Getting Married And Going Home

helenaj

Hello everyone,

I tried to search the forum for this topic, but felt a bit overwhelmed. Please accept my apologies if this has already been discussed.

My Thai bf and I are getting married next month and we are both so excited! We will have a traditional Thai wedding here, but I also want him to meet my family in America. He has travelled to different countries before, but never to America. Will this be a problem for us?

Has anyone ever brought him home to meet the family in another country? What was your experience with his family and your family? What problems. if any, did you encounter with U.S. Embassy? I'm more nervous about that than him meeting my family. I think they'll love him and are looking forward to finally meeting him. I'm just a bit worried.

Any suggestions and ideas are truly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!! :o

Warmest,

Helena

Ah well, now that you've had your little grammatical fun, back to the topic at hand, shall we?

Took my husband home shortly after we got married and he was a huge hit. Grandparents thought the world of him, so do my parents and sisters, nephews and nieces. So, no problems there.

US embassy will be difficult for a tourist visa if he has no assets in Thailand or if you dont' have a job or some kind of long-term visa. You will need a letter from your parents showing that he will be staying with them and they will be supporting him. Make sure you take any old passports with you for the application, it shows that he has travelled and returned to Thailand.

If you've been living and working in Thailand for awhile be sure to include copies of all your documents as well. Money in his bank account helps. There is an assumption that people marry in order to emigrate to the US and with being married such a short time that is something you will have to overcome with lots of evidence that Thailand is both his home and your home.

good luck don't stress too much, they aren't monsters. dress nicely, behave politely and things should be ok. :o

Ah well, now that you've had your little grammatical fun, back to the topic at hand, shall we?

Took my husband home shortly after we got married and he was a huge hit. Grandparents thought the world of him, so do my parents and sisters, nephews and nieces. So, no problems there.

US embassy will be difficult for a tourist visa if he has no assets in Thailand or if you dont' have a job or some kind of long-term visa. You will need a letter from your parents showing that he will be staying with them and they will be supporting him. Make sure you take any old passports with you for the application, it shows that he has travelled and returned to Thailand.

If you've been living and working in Thailand for awhile be sure to include copies of all your documents as well. Money in his bank account helps. There is an assumption that people marry in order to emigrate to the US and with being married such a short time that is something you will have to overcome with lots of evidence that Thailand is both his home and your home.

good luck don't stress too much, they aren't monsters. dress nicely, behave politely and things should be ok. :o

sbk was right! Just ready your papers and his as well. The US Embassy officers are nice, but they have keen eyes. In our case, we married lest than 2 years and that raised some concerns. We did our best and presented the officer with all of the evidences that we DID NOT married so that I could come and live in the U.S. besides I used to live there for nearly ten years. The most important thing to think about AFTER both of you got there. What kind of work your future husband will do?

Best of luck,

Golf

Quote" Has anyone ever brought him home to meet the family in another country?" Unquote.

You mean you think he has done this before and is married already?? :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

I love your sense of humor!!! He's deadmeat if he has done this before!!! 555+ But I think we're ok :o

I"ve lived here for four years and have a work permit. I also have been working with the same company for two years and just renewed my contract to teach another year. He has money in the bank and his old passport stamps. He also owns land here.

Now I'm a bit concerned. Golf, you were married less than two years and they gave you a hard time. We're talking about leaving within a couple of months after getting married! Are we asking the impossible or do you think we have a chance?

SBK, I'm so happy your family was so glad to meet him!!! What a wonderful feeling that must have been! I think they will love him as much as I do. We're both 41, so our families trust our judgement. They just want us to be happy!

Thank you everyone! I will gather up those documents. Any other documents you think will help or any other advice? Thanks again and Happy Thai New Year!!!

Warmest wishes,

Helena

Actually, sounds like you have a good shot at a b1b2 visa. Be sure to submit copies of all your documents as well as his. The fact that you have a job/visa here, that he owns land all works in your favor. Show that you are just as tied to living in Thailand as he is and things should go well. Be sure to have a letter from your family stating that he will be living with them while he is in the US and that they will take care of any and all extra expenses should it be necessary.

Families are usually fine, its the rednecks you have to worry about :o

Hi again,

No, they did not give us a hard time. Even we were married lest than two years, we had our son who was two weeks old to show them :o If you two plan to visit and you have a work permit to come back to Thailand. He also has evidence that he will come back. There should not be a problem, but it vary case by case. It's depends on the officer.

Golf

My husband and myself were married for a year and a half when we applied for a tourist visa for him. He had 3 Canadian tourist visas in his passport at the time, he has no assets and is paid a relatively small monthly wage. The farang interviewer asked him 3 questions in Thai and then told him he could have the visa. when his passport was mailed back there was a 10 year multiple entry visa in there!!! After 3 questions! And after I lectured Mr.Meme about how tight the US will be and how we probably wont get it...He came out laughing..he loves proving me wrong :o

However, while I am a citizen I have never lived in the U.S. and we were on route to Canada stopping in the US for only a week. Also just FYI they do not let you into the embassy when he goes for his interview. You have to wait outside.

Good luck!

You're marrying a guy with no assets and no job who needs to be supported by your parents. I bet they're secretly thrilled about that. I hope my daughter brings home one of them.

Good luck with that one.

Duchovny,

Helena, the OP, did say that her sweetie has money in the bank and owns land in Thailand. Also, he's traveled in and out of the country several times. She didn't say anything about whether he has a job, but he hardly sounds like an irresponsible person.

SBK was simply talking about a hypothetical situation, not the actual situation here. Still it would be extra added insurance to have that letter from Helena's parents, as mentioned by SBK.

Kind of like when I went to apply for my one-year retirement visa here in Thailand. I brought a copy of my 35-year old marriage license (certified by the US consulate) just in case I had to prove to Thai immigration that I was married to my husband, who already had a one-year retirement visa. It wasn't needed because everything else was in order with money in the bank in my name, etc. Still, I thought it was a good idea to bring my marriage license, just in case.

It would be a good idea for Helena to have a letter of support from her parents, but it probably won't come up in the visa application conversation since he has assets and land here in Thailand and has demonstrated that he returns when he's traveled out of the country in the past.

Hello everyone,

I tried to search the forum for this topic, but felt a bit overwhelmed. Please accept my apologies if this has already been discussed.

My Thai bf and I are getting married next month and we are both so excited! We will have a traditional Thai wedding here, but I also want him to meet my family in America. He has travelled to different countries before, but never to America. Will this be a problem for us?

Has anyone ever brought him home to meet the family in another country? What was your experience with his family and your family? What problems. if any, did you encounter with U.S. Embassy? I'm more nervous about that than him meeting my family. I think they'll love him and are looking forward to finally meeting him. I'm just a bit worried.

Any suggestions and ideas are truly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!! :o

Warmest,

Helena

If you are marrying him first, ie in Thailand, then I asssume you will be getting a marriage visa. This take quite a long time and someone has to show adequate proof of means of financial support. If you are talking about a tourist visa for him and you are both young & with little financial assets - good luck. Very unlikely to be granted.

OP has already stated her fiancee has money in the bank and owns property and that she is working and residing here in Thailand. Lets do try to read posts before making comments on them first, shall we? It tends to be more helpful to the OP if you actually address the issues at hand rather than your own innate prejudices, thanks.