Newbie Question...help With Computer/charging Source

bneth360

I first would like to let everyone know I, nor the people I am traveling with have ever traveled abroad, so I am sorry for these questions if they are simple and ignorant... but thank you for the help :o . We are also not the most computer savy people as I am sure you will notice with our questions.

I am from the US so my laptop is set up for US power supplies, wall plugs, networking and voltage levels...etc.

I am moving to Thailand soon and I want to bring my laptop. I know I will need an adaptor in order to plug my computer into the wall. Outside of this I am not sure what else I will need. Can someone help?

Will it be able to handle the higher voltage? Will if fry if I plug it in?

Will there be any issues with networking?

Can the adaptors I need (I want decent quality stuff) be bought in Thailand, or should I buy it here in the US?

Here is a link to my computer and its specs:

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba-sa...7-33361054.html

Thanks in advance everyone!

From the link you provided it would appear your notebook should work just fine in Thailand. You might need a plug adapter for connecting to AC socket but that will depend where you will live. My current apartment sockets will take standard US three prong plug but my last one would not.

For your info the voltage here is 220 VAC 50hz.

I agree. Your power pack will be okay on the 220volt 50hz power here. Post a pic of the plug on the end of your power supply and a more definitive answer can be made on the adapter question. But the more modern buildings here have "universal" receptacles that will allow use of USA style plugs.

As for "networking" the spec shows you have a wireless device built in and an Ethernet jack so you should be good to go on the internet/networking connectivity issue. All depends on where you will be living as to what sort of internet connections are available.

I agree. Your power pack will be okay on the 220volt 50hz power here. Post a pic of the plug on the end of your power supply and a more definitive answer can be made on the adapter question. But the more modern buildings here have "universal" receptacles that will allow use of USA style plugs.

As for "networking" the spec shows you have a wireless device built in and an Ethernet jack so you should be good to go on the internet/networking connectivity issue. All depends on where you will be living as to what sort of internet connections are available.

Look on the power pack and it should say input voltage 240/120 to ___ output. Assuming that you have the 3 prong plug, the only problem you might see is the flat plug blade sizes. The US models have one blade wider than the out so it only goes in one way (somthing about polarity). Sometimes it won't fit. Bring a good grounded plug adaptor or 2 (3 into 2) and file the wide blade off to the same size as the small blade (any home supply, Walmart, etc. You can buy good power strips that will take the wider blade, but avoid the cheapies you can find here in Thailand.

You guys are awesome!! Thank you so much. The end of my cord is a 2 prong and they are the same size/width (no need to be filed down so I think I am ok). And my battery pack say input 100-240v ~1.3A 50-60hz and out put 19v 3.95A... so from what I understand I think I am ok.

Thanks again!

You guys are awesome!! Thank you so much. The end of my cord is a 2 prong and they are the same size/width (no need to be filed down so I think I am ok). And my battery pack say input 100-240v ~1.3A 50-60hz and out put 19v 3.95A... so from what I understand I think I am ok.

Yup you'll be 100% with your PC :D

DO PLEASE WARN your friends that most US electrical appliances will NOT work in Thailand (or ever again) even though the plug fits, this road leads to smoke and heartache :o