Maid/nanny, Holidays, Days Off

peregrine8

Hello All

A little back ground first. I am 27 wks pregnant and on bedrest. I have been cramping and bleeding and have the potential of loosing my baby.

We have 1 live in maid/nanny/cook and 5 children all ready. I wanted to have 1 live in maid/cook and then a full time live out nanny. My current maid talked me into not hiring anyone else and said that she would do it all with a pay raise. The nanny would only be helping with the younger 2 and the baby to come. I agreed. She gets sunday off and we usually let her leave saturday by noon. We had never discussed holidays. She now says that all maids and nannys get all holidays off of double pay for that day if they work. I had not told her but I had planned on giving her songkran off but now that my husband is going to be out of town I have to have her help especially NOW that she is also my nanny. If I have to go to the hospital I need someone to watch my kids. I do not have time before my husband leaves to hire another nanny to help out. Is it true do all nanny and maids get all holiday off with pay or double time if they work? She is Burmese. I do not think I should have to give her all Thai, Burmese and U.S. holidays off and whatever other countrys holidays she is wanting. I did not even get all U.S. holidays off when I was working in the U.S.

Anyway so what is the norm? What is the basic package for a live-in Maid/nanny/cook?

Any info would be great.

Thanks Peregrine8

this is certainly not the norm.

my nanny gets sundays off and the same hilodays i get. she gets 2-300 baht extra to stay friday nights and the same if she works an extra day.

Did you specifically discuss public holidays when you hired her? Got anything in writing, even if not a formal contract, that you can refer back to?

Yes she might be trying to 'play' you and see how much she can milk you.

Or she might generally believe she is entitled to all public holidays. If you didn't spell out ALL her employment conditions when she was hired then you might find she has very different expectations than you have. Either way it sounds like the perfect time to renegotiate to something you can both live with.

Edited by Goinghomesoon

Did you specifically discuss public holidays when you hired her? Got anything in writing, even if not a formal contract, that you can refer back to?

Or she might generally believe she is entitled to all public holidays. If you didn't spell out ALL her employment conditions when she was hired then you might find she has very different expectations than you have. Either way it sounds like the perfect time to renegotiate to something you can both live with.

We did not discuss any holidays. Just her regular day off and her yearly bonus. I just figured we would pick the holidays as they came. Since she is Burmese I thought she would want some Burmese holidays off. Now I am finding she wants every body's holidays (including U.S.) off. I was wanting to hire a second person since I am now on bedrest with my pregnancy so we could be more flexible and also I need the extra help with my kids now. She talked me out of it saying that she could be both maid and nanny. She did not want me to bring anyone else in. So we gave her the pay raise to go with the extra work. So now my hubbys out of town for a week I can not be without help. If I had 2 working they could split up the holiday. I am not going to put my baby in jeopardy. I am now actively looking for a nanny/maid. They can then split up the work and have more time off. I need to keep my baby in for 10 more weeks. I fear she will just go for songkran anyway. Oh well hopefully I will have someone else by then.

Thanks Peregrine8

We did not discuss any holidays. Just her regular day off and her yearly bonus. I just figured we would pick the holidays as they came. Since she is Burmese I thought she would want some Burmese holidays off. Now I am finding she wants every body's holidays (including U.S.) off. I was wanting to hire a second person since I am now on bedrest with my pregnancy so we could be more flexible and also I need the extra help with my kids now. She talked me out of it saying that she could be both maid and nanny. She did not want me to bring anyone else in. So we gave her the pay raise to go with the extra work. So now my hubbys out of town for a week I can not be without help. If I had 2 working they could split up the holiday. I am not going to put my baby in jeopardy. I am now actively looking for a nanny/maid. They can then split up the work and have more time off. I need to keep my baby in for 10 more weeks. I fear she will just go for songkran anyway. Oh well hopefully I will have someone else by then.

Thanks Peregrine8

while neither my maid or nanny get public holidays, songkran and new years eve and day are the two holidays neither are expected to work.

PLENTY of other good maids/nannys around. Time to go shopping for one.

She's been talking to her friends and has become greedy. Sounds like you need to lay down the law a bit. She'll get the hint very quickly.

We marked the calendar of all holidays for the maid. I then told her she could have a number of days off beyond that paid (I think I said 6 per year beyond the marked holidays). After that, she would not be paid for days she missed. It definitely curbed the excuses of missing work for various funerals, random holidays, and sick times. Going okay now.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

The deal we have with our maid is that she gets the day off as holiday any day that the plant my husband works for is closed. While he works for an american company, the company is on thai holiday schedule. If the plant is closed, she gets the day off for holiday.

I don't think it's unreasonable for maids to get holidays off or paid extra to work them but you need to clarify and come up with a schedule for which ones she gets.

Madam

Your disscussing the ways of not paying your nanny more, & her work load of getting her to do more. Consider her worth to you? Not what others are paying. looking after five kids she desrerves a medal & a pay rise. Burmese, chinese, Thai, Pink, Black or Blue should have no relevance. Look after your employee & she will look after you.

Another option may be to look after the kids yourself like real mothers do, then you would probably not have so much time on your hands to produce more children also buy a TV then your husband would also have something to distract his mind also.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Madam

Your disscussing the ways of not paying your nanny more, & her work load of getting her to do more. Consider her worth to you? Not what others are paying. looking after five kids she desrerves a medal & a pay rise. Burmese, chinese, Thai, Pink, Black or Blue should have no relevance. Look after your employee & she will look after you.

Another option may be to look after the kids yourself like real mothers do, then you would probably not have so much time on your hands to produce more children also buy a TV then your husband would also have something to distract his mind also.

Now but that was just a nasty little comment. Are you what they call a troll? I am a very good mother who just happens to be on bedrest for my pregnancy. There is nothing wrong with getting help. I do not have a mother or mother in law close to come help me. She is not watching my 5 kids just helping with my youngest 2. I do not think that I should have to pay for all nationality holidays because she is working for me. Now for the amount of kids I have is none of your business. If I want 15 kids then so be it. If we want to have sex fine seeing as we are married. So just get your mind up here with the rest of us and quite being such a jerk.

Peregrine8

• Love It 1

Now but that was just a nasty little comment.

I was about to hit the report button when I read the post from that troll but you hopefully put him in his place.

THE only thing I would say about employing staff is that in my view their working time should be clear and defined but it should be clear that any work you require done in that time should be done, If you do not make this clear you end up being their servant and not their employer. In other words if you ask her to make you or your friends a cup of coffee or to go to the shop for you during their work hours there should be no questioning whether it is their job or not. Of course thedy shoulod also b e treated as people and not have unreasonable demands made.

I was about to hit the report button when I read the post from that troll but you hopefully put him in his place.

THE only thing I would say about employing staff is that in my view their working time should be clear and defined but it should be clear that any work you require done in that time should be done, If you do not make this clear you end up being their servant and not their employer. In other words if you ask her to make you or your friends a cup of coffee or to go to the shop for you during their work hours there should be no questioning whether it is their job or not. Of course thedy shoulod also b e treated as people and not have unreasonable demands made.

Sorry it just ticks me off when you ask for advice and get mean comments. I have hired my maids sister as a nanny. I also sat down with them both we wrote out everything the job would consist of and what holidays they get off which is all Thai public holidays. What I am told the hours they are working is much less then most maids/nannys and the pay is a little above average. Since I am in a different country I wanted to know what the norm was before I put anything else in writing. Especially since I thought I was being lied to or misled.

Thanks Peregrine8

• 1 month later...

My suggestion would be if they have national Thai holidays, if you require for them to work those holidays then get an agreement one month beforehand that they have to work them.

Another day would be selected and a uplift (not double would be paid) Only hard and fast rules may be Songkran holidays where all Thai get to go home.

Days off if your maid works for you on her off days (she has no where else to go) then you could count these as holidays and she can accrue them.

As you say this is your time of need if she doesn't step up to the plate fire and get another one.

Sorry it just ticks me off when you ask for advice and get mean comments. I have hired my maids sister as a nanny. I also sat down with them both we wrote out everything the job would consist of and what holidays they get off which is all Thai public holidays. What I am told the hours they are working is much less then most maids/nannys and the pay is a little above average. Since I am in a different country I wanted to know what the norm was before I put anything else in writing. Especially since I thought I was being lied to or misled.

Thanks Peregrine8

Ignore the idiot,

I would agree with a previous poster, maids work on public holidays.

I have had maids and nannies work for me the past 10 yrs. Christmas/New Year and Songkran they receive holidays and get paid normal time. Yearly bonus at Songkran, which is a months salary (provided they have been with you for 1 year).

Mine works Mon-Sat with Sunday off. 9am -5pm, live out. I pay her 8000 per month, which is on the top side, but she is very good. I think if you find a trustworthy, hard working maid, then its worth giving a little extra.

• 14 years later...
On 4/20/2009 at 6:51 PM, peregrine8 said:

Now but that was just a nasty little comment. Are you what they call a troll? I am a very good mother who just happens to be on bedrest for my pregnancy. There is nothing wrong with getting help. I do not have a mother or mother in law close to come help me. She is not watching my 5 kids just helping with my youngest 2. I do not think that I should have to pay for all nationality holidays because she is working for me. Now for the amount of kids I have is none of your business. If I want 15 kids then so be it. If we want to have sex fine seeing as we are married. So just get your mind up here with the rest of us and quite being such a jerk.

Peregrine8

whether you like or not or agree or not if you hire domestic staff in your home they are entitled to at least 13 of the Public Holidays. These are given to all workers by the Government - you do not have the authority to overule Thai law. My advice would be to sit down and simply discuss which 13 of the holiday she wants - bear in mind Songkran is a 3 day Public Holiday.

The workers are entitled to be paid for these days too. Stop being a tightarse and think about the well-being of your helper for a change instead of your pocket.

If you dont know the law then find out, there is plenty of info on Google to keep you on the right side of it. 

Edited by Jackbenimble
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

I am sure the poster will appreciate your advice. Just a shame that the poster has not used the forum since 2011.

Did you really not notice that the comment you are replying to was made 15 years ago, 2019.

Will she have had the baby by now do you think?

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Will she have had the baby by now do you think?

555555 Hope so, it was her 6th.

She also did say “If I want 15 kids then so be it”, wonder if she has her own sports’ team by now.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

whether you like or not or agree or not if you hire domestic staff in your home they are entitled to at least 13 of the Public Holidays. These are given to all workers by the Government - you do not have the authority to overule Thai law. My advice would be to sit down and simply discuss which 13 of the holiday she wants - bear in mind Songkran is a 3 day Public Holiday.

The workers are entitled to be paid for these days too. Stop being a tightarse and think about the well-being of your helper for a change instead of your pocket.

If you dont know the law then find out, there is plenty of info on Google to keep you on the right side of it. 

Not so Nimble now.

48 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

I am sure the poster will appreciate your advice. Just a shame that the poster has not used the forum since 2011.

Did you really not notice that the comment you are replying to was made 15 years ago, 2019.

Showing my own stupidity now or dyslexic fingers, last date should say 2009, not 2019.