Is Thai Truth Stranger Than Thai Fiction?

GuestHouse

Yes it is, just before the Songkran Hoilday, I saw three ladies(late 20's mid 30), getting off the truck in town for a bit of hold sell shopping/buying at Marko, one was wearing a T-shirt with the F word me hard, the normal smile from all, my guess neither of them had a clue as to what on the T-shirt. :o:D In this case for me with not enough Thai to even try to explain the meaning, I figure best to MMOB(MYOB) Strange, there were at least 15 or so other people(mostly women) on that truck, you would think at least one them could have clued her.

I'll testify to that. 2 yrs ago I decided to be polite and bold. I see this everyday, so I started asking the wearers if they knew what their shirts said. 2 Yrs, and I have not found ONE person that can tell me what they're shirts say. My favorite siting was a young man with his testoserone buddies on their bikes, passing the Leo bottle around, down on the corner. His shirt was pink, and the white printing said "BRIDESMAID" with the wedding date and location. When the wife and I see any teens or younger, working along side their parents in the market places, wearing the F word on their shirts, we ask them the same question. When we get the embarrassed NO response, my wife tells them what it says and how the F word is about the most offensive word in the English language. The looks on the girls and parents faces are priceless. Now, someone tell me, cuz I come from the States and wanke_rs isnt a word you hear there. What is a wanke_r? 3 out of 5 shirts with the F word say, F@#$ off wanke_rs.

wanke_r, roughly translated is foreskin exerciser :D

I agree with 'noise.' Thailand is no more 'unique' than the other countries. My son was a condom salesman and once lived in a cave in Mexico. I had unpaid sex with 18 year olds who were more or less straight. My future son in law lived in the closet in my twins' room, and made my daughter pregnant when they were 16. I rode motorcycle only, all year, for 7 years in Texas. My sister advised me to try anal sex. Truth is stranger.

Uh, uhm, ok...uhm, what was title of this thread again?

Thais I know frequently practice truth avoidance.

When the truth is distasteful or not sanuk or not acceptable, they merely avoid it.

Grading and ranking students is an example.

The crazy guy in the village that always pisses in the middle of the street -- he just doesn't exist. Nobody wants to face the truth that there's a grown man with his shirt on backwards taking a leak in the street with his drawers down at his ankles.

Yes, truth avoidance works well in MANY situations here.

Good point Texpat. I've seen the Guy in our Villlage Too :D ......... I wonder if he would still not exist if he was a Farang :o

I agree with 'noise.' Thailand is no more 'unique' than the other countries. My son was a condom salesman and once lived in a cave in Mexico. I had unpaid sex with 18 year olds who were more or less straight. My future son in law lived in the closet in my twins' room, and made my daughter pregnant when they were 16. I rode motorcycle only, all year, for 7 years in Texas. My sister advised me to try anal sex. Truth is stranger.

Wow, thats a long time on a Motorcycle Peaceblondie :o

My condo has got a firemans microphone socket above everydoor for firemen to plug into to organise the escape and fire fight. True

Thai firemen with headphones and sockets ready to plug into socket above doors to speak to each other in the process of evacuation. Fiction

In the Western world we are taught that lying is a sin

hahahahaha................ :o:D

Yeah right, Farangs in Thailand are so honest..... :D:D

Farangs in their own countries are so honest.... :D:wai:

Jeeez, get a fawkin' grip !!!!!!!

The biggest con artists and liars I've ever met in Thailand were not Thai people.

Edited by Maigo6

In the Western world we are taught that lying is a sin

hahahahaha................ :D:D

Yeah right, Farangs in Thailand are so honest..... :D:D

Farangs in their own countries are so honest.... :wai::P

Jeeez, get a fawkin' grip !!!!!!!

The biggest con artists and liars I've ever met in Thailand were not Thai people.

"In the Western world we are taught that lying is a sin - which is why we find it v hard to understand or accept/forgive the Thai culture of lying being acceptable to save face/get what you want."

Thought I'd quote the entire sentence to put my point into perspective.

I agree entirely that I've met FAR more dishonest Westerners here than I have at home. It's not difficult to draw conclusions from that!

Nonetheless, I stand by my original statement that Westerners are taught that lying is wrong and Thais are taught that lying is right to save face/get what you want. Am I wrong??? :jerk:

Jeeez, get a fawkin' grip !!!!!!! :o

I mean honestly, you could not 'make up' the stuff that goes on in this place.

Thai truth is fiction :o

You're right though. Go back to your own country and talk to people who have never been here and even though they might have know you 20+ years, they will not believe the crap that goes on.

Tourists see some and only some expats see beyond their rose tinted specs.

Never understood why Thais say 'Don't think too much' all the time.

Now I understand, if you genuinely thought too much about things out here you would almost certainly go insane.

JJ

No, if Thais thought too much they would forget to breathe. Sometimes one thing at a time is too much. Two or more is nigh on impossible.

Now I understand, if you genuinely thought too much about things out here you would almost certainly go insane.

JJ

No, if Thais thought too much they would forget to breathe. Sometimes one thing at a time is too much. Two or more is nigh on impossible.

Did you marry a Thai ? :o

Obviously she never thought twice...... :D

Edited by Maigo6

JJ

Did you marry a Thai ? :o

Obviously she never thought twice...... :D

He's hardly alone.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of men here who know their wife or gf is stupid, but don't have a problem with it! :D

Everyone to their own. :D

He's hardly alone.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of men here who know their wife or gf is stupid, but don't have a problem with it! :o

Quite amazing really, the ammount of posts on ThaiVisa stating how stupid Thai people are, yet, so many claim their wives are University professors from overseas universities. :D

I wonder where they meet all these stupid people in the first place ?

Stupid is as stupid does..

I'm always pizzed off at the ammount of Thai guys that can pick up a guitar and knock out tunes, as opposed to 99% of Farangs that can't, I'm amazed at the Thais that still have a great physique at 35-40 years old, wheras many Farangs are carrying around 50 Kgs of unwanted fat at 30.

Still, this is ThaiVisa, so let the Thai Bashing continue unabated, and before any of you guys come out with the usual crap about rose tinted glasses, I've probably lived in Thailand a lot longer than most here, it's just that I have a happy life, and obviously many don't.

Though I will admit when I was broke, it was tough, I hated my life in Thailand, yet it wasn't Thailand I hated, it was my own life I hated, no matter where I lived.

The ability to not worry about paying the rent or having to do the next Visa run certainly helps.

He's hardly alone.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of men here who know their wife or gf is stupid, but don't have a problem with it! :D

Quite amazing really, the ammount of posts on ThaiVisa stating how stupid Thai people are, yet, so many claim their wives are University professors from overseas universities. :D

I wonder where they meet all these stupid people in the first place ?

Stupid is as stupid does..

I'm always pizzed off at the ammount of Thai guys that can pick up a guitar and knock out tunes, as opposed to 99% of Farangs that can't, I'm amazed at the Thais that still have a great physique at 35-40 years old, wheras many Farangs are carrying around 50 Kgs of unwanted fat at 30.

Still, this is ThaiVisa, so let the Thai Bashing continue unabated, and before any of you guys come out with the usual crap about rose tinted glasses, I've probably lived in Thailand a lot longer than most here, it's just that I have a happy life, and obviously many don't.

Though I will admit when I was broke, it was tough, I hated my life in Thailand, yet it wasn't Thailand I hated, it was my own life I hated, no matter where I lived.

The ability to not worry about paying the rent or having to do the next Visa run certainly helps.

Quite right. But, it doesn't reply to the post to which it purportedly responded! :o