Thai Bus Drivers And Dangerous Driving.

flashlight92

Is there anywhere you can complain about bad bus drivers? My Thai language skills are very basic… This was our adventure and it was the first horrible one.

We like Chiang Mai and stayed there for a long time and did many night trips from Chiang Mai – Bangkok return (second class government bus- www.transport.co.th). Only this time it was different. The trip started at 8 pm and left 8.15 and the aircon was on minus 10 Celsius (incl. wind chill factor) and they turned off the lights after 10 minutes. So far nothing new. The Thai people were sleeping after 5 minutes apart from a few who had to tell their family on their mobile phone where they were or trying different ring tones on their phones. Still nothing strange apart that it is annoying and that it keeps me awake. It started to rain outside and inside it was getting colder and colder so we asked for a blanket which they didn’t have. They always have blankets on Thai night buses. There were only 15 people on the bus but we stopped every half an hour to deliver parcel and letters. SO that was the reason why we couldn’t put our luggage in the luggage compartment. I took my fleece and my rain coat and my towel to keep me warm. Of course the lights went on with every stop and now they left the lights on for a long time. We had the front seats and I could see that the driver was very tired. So we stopped for many Red Bulls on the way. It didn’t help. In the hills the bus skidded into the wrong lane but luckily there was no other traffic. So he needed some distraction. He plugged in his mobile phone and played his songs on full blast to keep him awake. There were only 10 songs which I could sing by the end of the trip… Still not enough so he started smoking cigarettes every 15 minutes. That was better for him and he was awake by now so time to make lots of phone calls to his friends. In one hand the mobile and the other hand a cigarette and his knees for the steering wheel, pressing the horn for every other car. We lost lots of time by delivering parcels but he made up for it by driving fast on the wet road. Finally I fell a sleep but as it goes it was dinner time, because it was 2 a.m. Nobody got out except for me because outside it was warmer than inside. The rest of the night was smoky and noisy , with dangerous driving and stopping everywhere.

We did it the Thai way, say nothing and hope for the best the next time, but the next trip like this might be our last….. Is it better to complain to some official person?

We did it the Thai way, say nothing and hope for the best the next time, but the next trip like this might be our last….. Is it better to complain to some official person?[/size][/font]

Your complaint will fall on deaf ears....and could possibly put yourself in danger as well.....'revenge' from the driver....

Second class Government bus and you want to complain ? You may get a little joy with a VIP coach, though granted very little, but don't waste your time with the Thai bus. They say you get what you pay for and this goes with buses. I stopped using buses a long time ago. Take the train next time or at least a mini bus.

Is there anywhere you can complain about bad bus drivers? My Thai language skills are very basic… This was our adventure and it was the first horrible one.

We like Chiang Mai and stayed there for a long time and did many night trips from Chiang Mai – Bangkok return (second class government bus- www.transport.co.th). Only this time it was different. The trip started at 8 pm and left 8.15 and the aircon was on minus 10 Celsius (incl. wind chill factor) and they turned off the lights after 10 minutes. So far nothing new. The Thai people were sleeping after 5 minutes apart from a few who had to tell their family on their mobile phone where they were or trying different ring tones on their phones. Still nothing strange apart that it is annoying and that it keeps me awake. It started to rain outside and inside it was getting colder and colder so we asked for a blanket which they didn’t have. They always have blankets on Thai night buses. There were only 15 people on the bus but we stopped every half an hour to deliver parcel and letters. SO that was the reason why we couldn’t put our luggage in the luggage compartment. I took my fleece and my rain coat and my towel to keep me warm. Of course the lights went on with every stop and now they left the lights on for a long time. We had the front seats and I could see that the driver was very tired. So we stopped for many Red Bulls on the way. It didn’t help. In the hills the bus skidded into the wrong lane but luckily there was no other traffic. So he needed some distraction. He plugged in his mobile phone and played his songs on full blast to keep him awake. There were only 10 songs which I could sing by the end of the trip… Still not enough so he started smoking cigarettes every 15 minutes. That was better for him and he was awake by now so time to make lots of phone calls to his friends. In one hand the mobile and the other hand a cigarette and his knees for the steering wheel, pressing the horn for every other car. We lost lots of time by delivering parcels but he made up for it by driving fast on the wet road. Finally I fell a sleep but as it goes it was dinner time, because it was 2 a.m. Nobody got out except for me because outside it was warmer than inside. The rest of the night was smoky and noisy , with dangerous driving and stopping everywhere.

We did it the Thai way, say nothing and hope for the best the next time, but the next trip like this might be our last….. Is it better to complain to some official person?

You survived for another day in the LoS - I don't know what your problem is :o

The driver sounds highly skilled and professional with all those distractions of farangs tutting and strutting there stuff....

We did it the Thai way, say nothing and hope for the best the next time, but the next trip like this might be our last….. Is it better to complain to some official person?[/size][/font]

Your complaint will fall on deaf ears....and could possibly put yourself in danger as well.....'revenge' from the driver....

:o:D to say that I concur with you 100 per cent, sadder even more because I know NOTHING will happen until someone(or many) are kill than the temporay out cry will follow from the power that be. :D:D

If you take a look at the schedules of some of these buses, you will see that with the many stops, the driver cannot keep to schedule without speeding. It's just impossible. Also the lower class buses will have additional unscheduled stops to pick up all sorts of things to deliver further along their route. They have to drive like maniacs to keep to time.

Government bus 999 VIP is a very good service, they drive slower with fewer stops and probably a better accident record.

If you take a look at the schedules of some of these buses, you will see that with the many stops, the driver cannot keep to schedule without speeding. It's just impossible. Also the lower class buses will have additional unscheduled stops to pick up all sorts of things to deliver further along their route. They have to drive like maniacs to keep to time.

Government bus 999 VIP is a very good service, they drive slower with fewer stops and probably a better accident record.

i have got one of these buses before and they drive less crazy...

the only concern i have is the fact that they tie back the seat belts so you can not use them !

I would rather pay the extra money and fly. Return flights from Bangkok to Chiang Mai can be bought for as little as 1500 Baht as long as they' re booked well in advance. I have done that journey on a bus a few times, but would never do it again.

Take the train. 2nd Class, overnight sleeper, lower berth.

Cold beer and hot food brought to your seat.

Give it a go next time. You won't regret spending the extra few Baht.

And you can continue to enjoy escaping up to Chiang Mai.

Forget the buses.