Gmail No Longer Working In Thailand?

farangnahrak

I live in Thailand, but Google no longer allows me to use gmail because:

We can't provide service under the Gmail name in Germany; we're called Google Mail here instead.

If you're traveling in Germany, you can access your mail at http://mail.google.com.

Oh, and we'd like to link the URL above, but we're not allowed to do that either. Bummer.

For general information about Google, please visit www.google.com or www.google.de.

I follow that other link, but Gmail just hangs and doesn't allow further access . . . I'm very computer competent and tried refreshing my connection and deleting cookies to no prevail.

Doing a trace route, this is what I find (edited):

9 34 ms 31 ms 31 ms 61-91-210-5.static.asianet.co.th [61.91.210.5] (thailand)

10 33 ms 32 ms 31 ms 61.19.10.29 (australia)

11 33 ms 31 ms 31 ms 202.47.253.130 (australia)

12 64 ms 64 ms 63 ms 74.125.50.213 (US)

17 132 ms 132 ms 131 ms jp-in-f102.google.com [66.249.89.102]

So it doesn't route through any country other than Thailand, Australia, and the US.

Googling the problem, it appears to be happening around the world, especially Australia and places within the US.

Anyone else getting this problem suddenly (the problem started today)?

Oh forgot to mention, my ISP is True.

And to make things annoyingly worse, as of today Google is forcing the linking of your gmail and youtube accounts. You have to have both to have either. No opt out option.

So yea, I'm now blocked out of signing in to youtube, too =(

Suddenly google is acting like microsoft . . .

Edited by farangnahrak

Oh forgot to mention, my ISP is True.

And to make things annoyingly worse, as of today Google is forcing the linking of your gmail and youtube accounts. You have to have both to have either. Not opt out option.

So yea, I'm not blocked out of signing in to youtube, too =(

Suddenly google is acting like microsoft . . .

I have been using Gmail for around a year and I have never come across such problems, as forced linking with Youtube. Very odd.

Here is the link that I use, but you have probably tried this.

Gmail

Cheers, Rick

I had the same problem yesterday for the first time. Then I clicked on the "Basic HTML" version and my mail box came right up.

How can you get that option without first getting into Gmail?

Gmail

As mentioned in my first post, that link just hangs.

To add --- Like others yesterday I had to use the "Basic HTML" option whilst helping a friend open up a new email account on over a brand new TOT ADSL connection. POP servers etc worked fine to his MS Outlook after we completed the set up procedure. Nothing about You Tube?

I don't have a Youtube account so how is it linked to Gmail?

Hmmm I guess I worded that post badly . . . basically you *must* have a gmail account if you want to use youtube (as a member, not a viewer). I'm hoping they remove that forced bundling asap!

I don't have a Youtube account so how is it linked to Gmail?

Hmmm I guess I worded that post badly . . . basically you *must* have a gmail account if you want to use youtube (as a member, not a viewer). I'm hoping they remove that forced bundling asap!

Just checked my gmail accounts, no problems?

I never use youtube let alone have an account.

What are you on about?

Ok problem went away.

Restarted my PC, and went to this link: https://mail.google.com/mail/

(or google fixed it in the last 10 minutes after I sent them a redirect error report)

I check gmail about once an hour during the day until about midnight (active computerized family). Other than the normal hang of 10 seconds to 2 minutes, gmail has been normal throughout.

If you hang while trying to do a google search, log into www.google.co.nz instead of .co.th. Comes up immediately.

I had the same problem yesterday for the first time. Then I clicked on the "Basic HTML" version and my mail box came right up.

Thats usually caused by a slow Internet connection.

Cheers, Rick

Rick,

Understand, but I (theoretically) have a 4mb connection :o ............but that is a matter for another thread!

Gmail does this every afternoon (huge slowdown) here in HCMC; supposedly it's the Govt IT spies scanning for "The Bad People" maybe/perhaps Thailand is doing the same with simelar spyware.

Gmail does this every afternoon (huge slowdown) here in HCMC; supposedly it's the Govt IT spies scanning for "The Bad People" maybe/perhaps Thailand is doing the same with simelar spyware.

Jeez, not again the spys who read billions of mail in a secret cave somewhere in Kanchanaburi...!

Gmal in Central BKK loads in less than 8 seconds on my 2 MB line.

You might consider your providers (maybe crappy) ADSL signal as well...

Edited by webfact

Jeez, not again the spys who read billions of mail in a secret cave somewhere in Kanchanaburi...!

Not Kanchanaburi, it's Ho Chi Minh City and there's spies smarto in Vietnam.

I must admit I didn't realize the HCMC in your post. This was a human error... :o but as far as I was informed Vietnam is on the same Gmail link as Thailand.

And here Gmail is fast, at least on my site.

The Network Gurus on this forum will certainly give you some more in-depth info an that

I must admit I didn't realize the HCMC in your post. This was a human error... :o but as far as I was informed Vietnam is on the same Gmail link as Thailand.

And here Gmail is fast, at least on my site.

The Network Gurus on this forum will certainly give you some more in-depth info an that

Yep Gmail is fast here too until about 1500hrs to 1520 regular then back up to speed. Everyone knows this here, maybe same software there? Who knows?

Gmail should work perfect,

possibly your PC need an urgent clean up, in that case I suggest download 3 free tools:

Avira AntiVir Personal gives basic protection against dangerous viruses, worms, Trojans and costly dialers. New: Basic Anti-Spyware.

Advanced SystemCare Free 3.2.0 is a comprehensive PC care utility that takes a one-click approach to help protect, repair, and optimize your computer. It provides an all-in-one and super convenient solution for PC maintenance and protection.

CCleaner v2.18 is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history.

All direct download links you find on here: http://webdesign.coolstart.nl/

I downloaded those and since then my notebook worked well for the first time...

Perhaps there is an other reason, but can't imagine what. Gmail should work perfect in Thailand !

Gmail should work perfect,

possibly your PC need an urgent clean up, in that case I suggest download 3 free tools:

Avira AntiVir Personal gives basic protection against dangerous viruses, worms, Trojans and costly dialers. New: Basic Anti-Spyware.

Advanced SystemCare Free 3.2.0 is a comprehensive PC care utility that takes a one-click approach to help protect, repair, and optimize your computer. It provides an all-in-one and super convenient solution for PC maintenance and protection.

CCleaner v2.18 is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history.

All direct download links you find on here: http://webdesign.coolstart.nl/

I downloaded those and since then my notebook worked well for the first time...

Perhaps there is an other reason, but can't imagine what. Gmail should work perfect in Thailand !

I need to add: did you compared using Gmail on Firefox as well as Internet Explorer ? Sometimes there are differences.

Anyone else getting this problem suddenly (the problem started today)?

No problems with Gmail and no link issues to YouTube. I use Eudora to download email. I sometimes find opening Gmail directly on the Internet can be very slow, but rarely bother doing it that way.

Use a pop3 with your gmail account set up that ms mail thing (express ??)  or firefox thunderbird  ect.   then your not using port 80 the web surfing port but are using ports 995 and I think it was 465 have to look again, but you get that info from the gmail site when you set up pop3.  you can still browse it the old way and use the same passwords and address.  But you won't have to compete with all the web surfers for bandwidth.  plus like mine it checks and downloads the mail to desktop when I boot up and every 60 min. there after (auto) and works from anywhere you connect to the internet not just at home so I keep my email account on the laptop.  On days when the web pages are timing out I still get my mail.  

• 4 weeks later...

How can you get that option without first getting into Gmail?

Gmail

As mentioned in my first post, that link just hangs.

I am experiencing exactly the same problems here in Chiang Mai.

Manage to get into my gmail account, than compose and once I try to send it just hangs there.

Also having problems opening my new emails. this has been a problem for about a week.

At first changing to html mode solved the problem, now this is hanging as well.

I am unfortunately with True. Lies would be a more appropriate title.

Something weird is happening and if this continues I will have to consider changing email accounts to another provider, although this is going to cause great inconveinience.

Google’s Gmail email service suffers new problems

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechn...w-problems.html

Another problem I am having with gmail is after I send a message, huge spaces appear between each paragraph.

Edited by sassienie