Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My family and freinds asked me to recommend a restaurant to go to when they were all here over Xmas..I recommended The Duke's......they were very dissapointed...the portions were large but the quality was poor according to them.

they did not ask me for a recommendation when they next went to dine out :o

They brought a lot of the food back in a container for my Dog..can't really tell what She thought of it.

Did not cover myself in glory there ..for someone who is supposed to know something about food having had my own restaurant before.

If they were looking for something upscale, I would recommend "The House". However, this is based on only 1 visit (last month). The tables looked very nice. The cocktail selection was interesting and we really liked the drinks. We were not crazy about the lighting. It's a little ridiculous when the wait staff have to bring flashlights to you so you can read the menu! However, the food was good and the wine we ordered was okay. When we were there, there was a long wait for the cocktails. I think they brought the wine before we got our cocktails so wait staff could use some training here. Anyway, we had good food and a good time...

Another place we tried (once in 2005) was the restaurant at the Amari. I think we went there for Thanksgiving and they had a set menu. We thought the food was pretty good and the restaurant is nice. There was also a timing problem with the wine.

Anyway, we would go back to both of those restaurants. We don't normally do 'upscale' so that's why it's only one time each at those restaurants for us.

If they want Thai food though, we go to 'Ron Kaeng Baan Suan' quite a bit. It is our favorite restaurant in Chiang Mai. To be fair though, we liked this one so much that when we are thinking of eating out we automatically go there. We were a bit worried about this restaurant when we left in March - they weren't getting enough business. So we go there in December and just barely get a table! It was like that the 3 times we went. We really like the food there. The things we order are gaeng khea moo (Northern curry pork - can't find it on the menu), Northern pork salad, wing bean salad (has squid in it), fish in lime sauce (the cheaper one - it's whole so people can't be squirmish about heads) or this whole deep fried fish with fried herbs (green peppercorns, kaffir lime leaves, basil) and a sauce. The tom yum shrimp is good too. Mmmm. I'm getting hungry. Anyway, most of the restaurant is outdoors. There is a covered area. Sometimes they have Thai musicians or dancers. Note: I posted detailed directions to this place on another post awhile ago.

just_Elaine

I Love Mexican food, and really think Miguels is the best in town for that. :D But went to Chiang Mai Saloon the other day and had the hard shelled tacos ( no hard shells at miguels :D ) and I actually thought that they were pretty good. :D Nice and greasy like mom used to make !

Added a side of sour cream.......VERY runny :o

I am glad that Sabaijai clarified that in this case he is only talking about burgers. He is a very clever guy as well as being a SUPER-moderator, so I didn't want to argue with him. However, when it comes to burgers, I am a fan of the Saloon's bacon burger myself.

I like both places, but the Dukes menu is waaay bigger and more sophisticated and that doesn't even include the 3 or 4 nightly specials that aren't on the menu. Also, it is much more comfortable place to eat. For one thing, you are not jammed in between a thousand sweaty back-packers with loud music blowing out your eardrums! :o

I think that the burgers at saloon have gone down hill.Had one there about six weeks ago.It wasn't bad,but it wasn't great either.I was with an American mate at the time and he used to rave about their burgers.He agreed.

I will try again,just to make sure it wasn't a one off.

I am glad that Sabaijai clarified that in this case he is only talking about burgers. He is a very clever guy as well as being a SUPER-moderator, so I didn't want to argue with him. However, when it comes to burgers, I am a fan of the Saloon's bacon burger myself.

I like both places, but the Dukes menu is waaay bigger and more sophisticated and that doesn't even include the 3 or 4 nightly specials that aren't on the menu. Also, it is much more comfortable place to eat. For one thing, you are not jammed in between a thousand sweaty back-packers with loud music blowing out your eardrums! :o

UG, I've always thought the menu at the saloon was huge- much bigger than the Dukes...

I like both places, but the Dukes menu is waaay bigger and more sophisticated and that doesn't even include the 3 or 4 nightly specials that aren't on the menu. Also, it is much more comfortable place to eat. For one thing, you are not jammed in between a thousand sweaty back-packers with loud music blowing out your eardrums! :D

UG, I've always thought the menu at the saloon was huge- much bigger than the Dukes...

I guess that it depends on how you look at it.

What I'm seeing in my mind is that I like the burgers and chili dogs and a few side dishes at the Saloon and normally that is about it, although some of the other stuff is not bad. I just don't like to eat hotdogs or burgers very often.

I'm not putting it down as I think that they do what they do pretty well.

However, there are at least 30 things on the Duke's menu that I am happy to choose from including salmon and swordfish and also new and differerent specials like beef stroganoff and imported prime rib every single night.

What I'm trying to say is that The Saloon is fine to eat at once in a while, but the Duke's is our regular place. :o

When all else fails head to "Downunder Steakhouse and Thai Resturant.. Fish n chips (out of this world), Great steaks and burgers, and brilliant Thai food as well.. Solid in every dept.. Hope i get a free beer for the plug though.... :o

Without going into too much detail, I have to disagree with you about " Downunder Steakhouse" You can read my previous post on the place. Basically EXTREMELY slow service and mediocre food...IMHO

When all else fails head to "Downunder Steakhouse and Thai Resturant.. Fish n chips (out of this world), Great steaks and burgers, and brilliant Thai food as well.. Solid in every dept.. Hope i get a free beer for the plug though.... :o

Without going into too much detail, I have to disagree with you about " Downunder Steakhouse" You can read my previous post on the place. Basically EXTREMELY slow service and mediocre food...IMHO

The last time we were there (2 days ago) the service was fast and efficient (to Antipodean standards).. I guess if you were not an Antipodean you wouldn't know what decent fish n chips tasted like anyway.. We have eaten at some of Australia and New Zealand's best Fish n greaso's and Downunder is on par with them.. But you are entitled to your opinion..

I like the music there, too ... :D

had a great meal yesterday - again - at Buonissimo on the road to Chiang Rai, with owner Sergio. they also do some italian fare in their little supermarket. pity the place is divided in several stages, outside, downstairs, upsatirs, private room and diners are all over the place. food good though. wine cellar is impressive. had a meal with my wife, one starter, 2 mains and 2 small heineken for 550 baht. good deal. ask for billy, great waiter!

This is one of my fave places to eat - very reasonably priced, consistently good and cheerful service. Love their breads and desserts too! They make a mean pizza and pretty much everything I have tried has been very good (and I have eaten there a lot!). :o

Hi

trying in vain to find a really good pizza in CM! ok, 30 pages to read, going through it...slowly.

why does everyone rave bout Giorgio's?? the pasta was overcooked and the pizza was small, the cheese tasted nasty and the olives took all night and the following morning to digest.

Piccola Roma Palace is dreadful. The owner/chef rude, pasta overcooked and could not taste any garlic or wine in the sauce, and the pizza tasted like it was a microwaved kids food. You pay for the decor, not the food.

ok, let's try... a real large flat (not one inch high) pizza, light and crisp, with tomatoes, mozzarella some oregano and pepper. how difficult can it be?!

btw best pizza so far in Thailand is Pan Pan in Pattaya/Jomtien... so good even my thai wife misses it! amazing.

buon appetito

rych

Hi

trying in vain to find a really good pizza in CM! ok, 30 pages to read, going through it...slowly.

why does everyone rave bout Giorgio's?? the pasta was overcooked and the pizza was small, the cheese tasted nasty and the olives took all night and the following morning to digest.

Piccola Roma Palace is dreadful. The owner/chef rude, pasta overcooked and could not taste any garlic or wine in the sauce, and the pizza tasted like it was a microwaved kids food. You pay for the decor, not the food.

ok, let's try... a real large flat (not one inch high) pizza, light and crisp, with tomatoes, mozzarella some oregano and pepper. how difficult can it be?!

btw best pizza so far in Thailand is Pan Pan in Pattaya/Jomtien... so good even my thai wife misses it! amazing.

buon appetito

rych

Try Bournissimo - turn off the Super Highway toward Prao and it is up the road on the left hand side (before you get to Rimping)...their pizza is really yummy!

rych

This is a conumdrum I've had too. Been there twice. Both times, very poor food. I was told the ownwer is Italian, but I can't believe it. Most Italian resteraunteurs I've known, are like the French; constitutionally imcapable of putting out bad food, even if it's a low price place, which Giorgio's isn't.

rych

This is a conumdrum I've had too. Been there twice. Both times, very poor food. I was told the ownwer is Italian, but I can't believe it. Most Italian resteraunteurs I've known, are like the French; constitutionally imcapable of putting out bad food, even if it's a low price place, which Giorgio's isn't.

I am too lazy to read the previous 29 pages, but have you tried Pom Pui? Great Italian restuarant located behind the Mad Dog on Moonmuang Road. Very good value for money and cheap Italian house wine.

Pirates cove do a mean burger.the new owner is an Aussie bloke (Mark).I will pop in there tonight and report back.

Chuchok,

Did you make it in the other night and if you did how was it?

Also, when did Mark take over. Wasn't the prior owner an American named Kevin? Wonder what happened to him. He didn't have the place very long which is not unusual.

Pirates cove do a mean burger.the new owner is an Aussie bloke (Mark).I will pop in there tonight and report back.

Chuchok,

Did you make it in the other night and if you did how was it?

Also, when did Mark take over. Wasn't the prior owner an American named Kevin? Wonder what happened to him. He didn't have the place very long which is not unusual.

Yep, Kevin sold to Mark.

The burgers are very good.Nice fresh burger buns with a nice big burger patty and fresh salad.Can't remember the price.House wine is cheap at THB60 a glass,which is probably why I can't remember the price of the burger.... :o

Yep, Kevin sold to Mark.

The burgers are very good.Nice fresh burger buns with a nice big burger patty and fresh salad.Can't remember the price.House wine is cheap at THB60 a glass,which is probably why I can't remember the price of the burger.... :o

Do you know what happened to Kevin and Robbin - open another business, still in the area, or off to greener pastures? Interesting couple to say the least.

I would like to reccommend a newish place out on the irrigation canal road. The place is called Madame Lee's, it has been opened for about 2 months, and is just to the south of the city. Cost wise is not too bad. Ordered some 7 dishes and 2 large and 1 small draft beer, cost was 1,200 baht. Cuisine is varied, mainly Thai but also with Chinese and Japanese influenced dishes as well. Decent portion size, Nice, bright, clean place. The staff were attentive, though mainly due to lack of people in there, which also affected the atmosphere.

All in all I feel it was worth the effort in getting there, go to the far end of Neaminhaimin Rd,(spelling?), going to the opposite end to the Rincome hotel, past the CM University, at the Traffic lights on the end T junction, turn right, as if to head out of town. Turn left after the Lotus Express store, onto Irrigation canal rd, and carry on down there for approx 1 km, to the first road across the canal which will allow you to turn right. As you get onto this bridge road the restaurant is exactly opposite you.

I hope you enjoy it. There is no wine list, and a corkage fee is charged for BYO.

Edited by mickmac