Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . . . . But not being fluid in French, I cannot claim to be a raconteur, connoisseur, provocateur, or purveyor of pernicious anemia. . . . .

No worries, your fluidity with English more than makes up for it! :o

For a map . . . look at the website by clicking the banner.

The map shows a bridge on the superhighway, but does not indicate the name of the bridge or that of the body of water under it. Is it, by any chance, the bridge over the Ping River?

Yes. Coming from CM between Lotus and Lanna hospital and Ram 2 (has a different name now). The 11 from CM to Lampang.

When over the bridge stay left and make a 180 deg u-turn, then 1st right after that about 2 km.

Thanks for trying, fiscalist, but I am still not sufficiently confident about the directions (and, without wishing to come across the wrong way, I am quite good with maps and directions). Your online map refers to a Ram 2 hospital, to a tourist police office and to a Khao Jao Market, none of which appears, by any of those names, on a highly detailed map of Chiangmai that I have (Chiang Mai Big Map). You mention that Ram 2 Hospital has a different name now. Is its current name Theppunya Hospital, by any chance? If so, I will be able to find you.

Three ways to come here.

From CM city:

Cross one of the bridges and turn left. Towards Buonissimo and the tourist police. Follow that road till the end. Go left, under the bridge and take the first left again. After that 2 km.

From CM city:

Take the 11 to Lampang. After Tesco (right) and Lanna hospital (left) cross the bridge. Stay on your left and make the first available u-turn (180 deg). Go right and from there 2 km.

To CM city:

Coming from old Makro, Carrefour etc. Just stay on the left lane, not the new highway. Follow that road untill the end. You have to go Under the bridge. So do, take the first on your left and from there 2 km.

Got it, thanks. In exchange for all that work, let me offer a couple of what I intend as helpful comments. Buonissimo: it is no longer located where your directions above assume it is; they moved last year to a point on the east bank of the Ping River a short distance south of the Superhighway. Your on-line map: I would suggest you revise it, identifying the Ping River as such, changing the name of Ram 2 Hospital to its current name (which appears to be the name I mentioned in my earlier post).

See you soon!

• 3 weeks later...

In all of the "best pizza in Chiang Mai" threads I don't recall ever seeing Koh Lanta House being mentioned. After seven months in Thailand I finally decided to have pizza last night and by pure chance, stumbled upon this small establishment. I wasn't expecting much but instead was pleasantly surprised. The pizza's are baked in a brick wood fired oven and came with plenty of choices of fresh toppings and ample amounts of cheese. They offer an 8" or a 10" pizza. The pizza's were not expensive; between 110 and 185 Baht as I recall. The salads were also very good; big portions, fresh vegetables and well prepared. The staff was very friendly. I can highly recommend this place and I am picky about pizza. Koh Lanta House is kind of hidden on a dark corner on Kotchasarn Road, Soi 1 near Bake and Bite.

I ate at the Gecko Restaurant today as a buddy has been raving about it. His favorite is Ceasar salad with chicken for about 100 baht with (free) extra salad dressing.

I had a cheeseburger and fries for 99 baht and as he said, it was certainly better than Mikes at a higher price. The ground beef from Makro was really tasty I thought, but not ground very well. It tasted a lot like the thick burgers that my mother use to fix us when we were children which were square shaped as well. I thought that may have been the best burger that I have had since The Chiang Mai Saloon changed meat suppliers.

Gecko Restaurant is at the intersection where Sri Don Chai Road meets Kumpang Din Road near Suriwong Books.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i really want to point out oasis here, on soi 2 taphae rd just a few steps in from tp-rd on the right.while they have a nice european menu i always end up with the thai stuff like laab isaan,tom ka ,or lad na .

the food is delicious, very nicely prepared and reasonably priced and my thai wife just loves going there with me.also belgian beers, pooltable etc....

Edited by uptoyoumyfriend

• 2 weeks later...
"Food Corner" restaurant in Suntitam. Hard to find (when you get the the 5 way intersection from the Wat Suntitam 3 way intersection take a right, it is the 2nd road down, take a left then on your left)

BEST THAI FOOD IN CHIANG MAI, THE BEST KEPT SECRET HERE!

Ok. The 2 people that bother to read this will be very happy people indeed...

do you have an address? not sure if i can follow your directions

"Food Corner" restaurant in Suntitam. Hard to find (when you get the the 5 way intersection from the Wat Suntitam 3 way intersection take a right, it is the 2nd road down, take a left then on your left)

BEST THAI FOOD IN CHIANG MAI, THE BEST KEPT SECRET HERE!

Ok. The 2 people that bother to read this will be very happy people indeed...

do you have an address? not sure if i can follow your directions

yes please supply an address your directions are harder to understand then from a thai! ^____^

• 3 weeks later...

Nimmin Kitchen, Huay Kaew.

Going up Huay Kaew Road on the left (opposite Hillside Condo) is the demolished cinema complex - now an open area. Over the last couple of years a number of bars and restaurants have come and gone in there, but currently there is Nimmin Kitchen. Really great food at reasonable prices. Their best seller is their "Chiang Mai Salad" - I can see why - it is fantastic (about 80 baht if I remember correctly). Parking could not be easier.

• 4 months later...

Been a while since this thread was last added to.

Any updates we should be aware of or new places to eat?

I personally would love to know a good place to eat Tom Yam Gai and Pad Keap Pow Moo ;-) Not sure if some of the older suggestions in this thread still hold true.

I personally would love to know a good place to eat Tom Yam Gai and Pad Keap Pow Moo ;-) Not sure if some of the older suggestions in this thread still hold true.

If you like stir fried rice noodles (gwaatio), the food court in Kad Suan Kaew has a very spicy version that has similarity to pad keap pow moo. They have pictures, it's #4. If you are facing away from the massage place next to the food court, I think it is the 2nd food vendor on your right. After I tried that, whenever I'm there at meal time, I order that.

You could try Gekko Garden - see new forum entry on "Cheap Bar & Restaurant (no Bar Girls)." Don't know if they have exactly those dishes, but there are over a 100 dishes (mostly Thai) on the menu. Beer is currently selling 129 for 3 large bottles of Chang or 139 for 3 bottles of Leo. If you prefer shots - they are 40 bahts during Happy Hours 7:00 -9:30 pm

You'll find Gekko on the corner of Sri Doncha and Kamphaeng Roads - The Mae Ping Imperial Hotel overlooks it. There's a map on the new forum entry.

Roger :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Went to The Spirit House last night... third time I've eaten there... never disappointed... The owner has been in Thailand for years and was an antique dealer so the restaurant is kind of antiqueee... lots of flames and old things... in the centre is a circle of wonderful 'easy' chairs that you can sit in and drink coffee, or wine or go to sleep in even.... the music is antique as well as Steve is into really old music - very relaxing...

The food! Last night we had black linguine with shrimps cooked with european basil, onion, garlic... mmmmm and our other dish was fish cooked in onion and white wine sauce served with fried tomatoes and baked potato... double mmmmmmmmm - dessert was a layer of fine sponge cake, raspberries, chocolate with delicious cream... I'm not sure what Steve does to the cream but it's kind of not so fatty...

A special each Friday night is meatloaf, macaroni cheese and coleslaw... a comfort meal that someone's mum oops mom used to make for him, now Steve makes it!!!!!

When Steve describes any of his dishes, my mouth waters and I have to buy it... :o

He cooks Thai food as well, but his western food is so good, not sure if I'll ever try the Thai...

So, from a directionally challenged person, here are some directions...

If you're coming down the superhighway from the Carrefour direction, going into town... you turn left at the turn off to Chang Puak gate... go down that road until you get to the traffic light, there is a no u=turn sign, but that's where I u-turn, the you'll see a road with a sign to go the the Lotus hotel (which has yummy Lebanese food)... go down that road until on your right past the Lotus hotel you see the Spirit House... not sure how to describe it as he's doing stuff to it at the moment, but it is built around an old chedi... so if you see an old chedi in a garden... you know, a brick one... then that's the Spirit House....

Oh and glasses of wine are 80baht and pretty good wine...

Enjoy :D :D

I cant believe you guys are complaining about the decor at Gohan Tei, I guess this forum is a little too "high-so" for me.

The sushi there is excellent and if you are afraid of its quality I can assure you the chef buys it at the same places the other 4star Japaense places do because he has worked for those places for many years himself.

If you are paranoid about it ,order the salmon because this is never served "raw", since it is a fresh water fish.

Actually nevermind. That place should just be left the local secret for expat Japanese and "in the know" locals...

[/quo

Mr.StickyRice,

"If you are paranoid about it ,order the salmon because this is never served "raw", since it is a fresh water fish."

What kind of salmon are you talking about? So far as I know NO salmon is a fresh water fish. They hatch as smolt in fresh water, as salmon fry they migrate downsteam to the ocean where they live for 3-5 years and then they return to the river they were 'born' in to spawn and die in fresh water. But virtually their entire lives are spent at sea living in salt water. Even salmon raised in enclosures live in salt water. Oddly enough, the meat is white rather than 'salmon pink', which probably has to do with the native salmon feeding on krill in the arctic. That's my guess since no one knows where salmon live during those years.

Serendipity2